Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
Talking Unified Search Engine - Powered by Witsbits!

I managed to talk Witsbits into supporting the project by means of code storage and site hosting! They are interested in this
and seemed very positive! The Java client code will thus be resident in an SVN trunk on their servers, as well as the page which will be
the search engine once everything is complete.

Their goodwill surely gave the project a leap forward since all logistic problems are practically out of the world. All that remains now is some
happy coding (on way) and more ebook publishers to hook up.

Also some news on the project: I have mailed the API specification to the publishers (that have answered so far) and things are looking bright.
Any day now things should start getting serious.

PS: If you are thinking about eBook publishing but have no servers, take a look at Witsbits

/Gf

Last edited by Gianfranco; 08-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow !! gianfranco, i'm really amazed at how this brilliant project is going !! thank you so much for taking it on and advancing it so quickly ! i think everyone is going to get a lot of use from this search engine, it's really lacking for ebooks. karma for you, definitely !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Er... Java client? I hope it doesn't mean the search engine will requite browsers with Java support...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Er... Java client? I hope it doesn't mean the search engine will requite browsers with Java support...
Do not worry , it will be a downloadable GPL standalone commandline client which can be downloaded.

The site will only use php and html.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Gianfranco
computer scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow !! gianfranco, i'm really amazed at how this brilliant project is going !! thank you so much for taking it on and advancing it so quickly ! i think everyone is going to get a lot of use from this search engine, it's really lacking for ebooks. karma for you, definitely !
Well, thanks, I sat there thinking "someone ought to do a search engine ... " and all these years, someone has always been someone else. This time I figured it should be me

"If you want corn - plant corn "
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
Well, thanks, I sat there thinking "someone ought to do a search engine ... " and all these years, someone has always been someone else. This time I figured it should be me

"If you want corn - plant corn "
words to live by ! and bravo again.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
... , it will be a downloadable GPL standalone commandline client which can be downloaded ...
Good, because I hate undownloadable GPL standalone comandline clients which can be downloaded, not to mention downloadable GPL standalone comandline clients which can't be downloaded. Downloadable stuff that can be downloaded is everywhere you wanna be, baby!

(Hah! Make fun of my wise owls, will ye? Then FEEL THE WRATH OF MY GRAMMATICAL PEDANTRY, GIANFRANCO! [insert evil laugh])

In other news...nice work, mate. Very impressive.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Gianfranco
computer scientist

Hehe I might have got a bit carried away by the downloadability.
The Java client is being worked on as you read this (provided you read this at the appropriate day of the week and within the proper time-frame), so, when it is done, I'll post a link / zip with manual etc.

Last edited by Gianfranco; 08-23-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Protecting myself against the grammar-police ;)
Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What browsers do NOT have Java support?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite a few.
E.g. all kinds of special browsers. Apart from that - my browser. I dont like Java Plugins so I have disabled it in my browser.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My iPhone browser!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Gianfranco
computer scientist

That's why HTML and PHP will be used.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
Gianfranco
computer scientist

For those of you thinking that this whole project is dead because I have not posted in a while: you are wrong.

I am coding on the client and waiting for more replies from the publishers,
a lot of them are on vacation, so it might take some weeks before it is all wrapped up and done.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

thanks gianfranco for the update ! it's good to know how things are going.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
Gianfranco
computer scientist

Well, still not hosted by Witsbits , but still I released a beta tonight

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28366

Tags
search engine, unified search engine, witsbits