Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Different flavours of English on Kobo?

I'm a Canadian Kobo owner, and I haven't been able to help but notice that all the e-books I purchase are in U.S. English. I would love to read them in Canadian English, or at least in the Queen's English in a pinch. "Colour", "manoeuvre", etc.

Is there a way to choose?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The English you get inside of the books is the English the publisher provides. Kobo doesn't change that.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The English you get inside of the books is the English the publisher provides. Kobo doesn't change that.
I figured that. I guess what I was speculating was that they might provide, for example, UK English editions in the UK (and Australia and NZ?), and American English versions in the U.S. and Canada. If this is true, I would rather read the UK edition if I could somehow select it and/or trick the Kobo into providing it.

Do the publishers seriously provide only American English editions to Kobo in the UK, Australia, NZ, etc.? I remember when I used to work at the public library that we would sometimes get North American editions, and other times get UK editions, of the same book.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Publishers don't seem to want to make one decent digital edition most of the time--so regionalizing probably doesn't happen much.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I must admit, I don't really notice. I think it's normally the case here in the UK that a book written in the US will be in US English, and a book written in the UK will be in British English. I don't believe there's any attempt these days to anglicise the spellings.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I prefer it if the book is written in the language used where the book is set, the only book I can think of with variations is Harry Potter, I looked at the US version and it just seemed wrong.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I can kind of understand why they'd do it with children's books. Don't want to be breaking the rules before you know what they are.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm in Australia where we use UK English, and I haven't noticed American spellings in the books I have bought. I know the Kobo website I look at is specifically for Australia as the prices are in $A, there is a reference to the books on a TV programme called "The First Tuesday Book Club", and so maybe the books are UK English editions.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I prefer it if the book is written in the language used where the book is set, the only book I can think of with variations is Harry Potter, I looked at the US version and it just seemed wrong.
When I worked for the public library here in Canada, I saw both American English and UK English editions of David Wingrove's "Chung Kuo" books. There were other authors, but I remember that one more distinctly than the rest.

The setting of the book doesn't effect my desire for the use of language. In the spoken portions of the book perhaps, but not the narration.

Last edited by scrapking; 07-18-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post

The setting of the book doesn't effect my desire for the use of language. In the spoken portions of the book perhaps, but not the narration.
spoken portions is mainly what I was meaning, but even sometimes the narration seems wrong, if I am reading a book by a US author it would seem odd to me if it started using UK terms (car boot instead of trunk as example)

another odd one I found, book I read recently based in UK not sure where the author was, but when driving in the car it was using KM/H, that didnt feel right in a UK book

I am re buying some books I have in paperback at the moment, so when I come to some US terms I will check the paperback to see what that has in it
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yeah, "boot" is a UK giveaway for sure.

I always get a kick when I see the word "tucker" for food. Let's you know where the author is from - mate.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
As said by others, really depends on what the publisher provides. They may have different geographic versions of the book, for example; US / Canada and UK versions, and so the UK version gets UK English (or proper English, depending on you viewpoint ) and US / Canada gets the US English. You may also find that different publishers are used for different countries, and that may also mean different "English" versions of the book.

Again as mentioned, Harry Potter is a good example of where US / Canada gets the US English version, and UK gets the British English version. Booger vs Bogey was a good example of differences in the language.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Being here in Canada, we seem to get an odd mixture of English books, particularly in the library books we get. Many of the UK cookbooks my library stocks are UK versions - grams, mls, C - but if I go to the bookstore the same book is the US version - oz, lbs and F.

BUT, that being said, I get fiction books in UK English that my family in the US doesn't get, but only if they were UK books originally.

Do US written books, such as Dan Brown's books, get translated to UK English for the British market?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Do US written books, such as Dan Brown's books, get translated to UK English for the British market?
just read the preview of da Vinci Code (first 2 chapters), didnt notice anything specific to UK English in it

It has made me want to buy the book though
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
The Canadian versions of Harry Potter use UK English. Not US English.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote