Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #76
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That seems logical for phones. But doesn't apply to Honeycomb tablet owners. The devices are more than capable. So, I don't know what the real excuse is. If you look at the list of supported devices, there are no Honeycomb tablets. Surely they know folks want to watch video on a tablet when given the preference.
Testing. Much easier not to support something than be faced with thousands of complaints when things don't work. Perhaps Hulu is skipping Honeycomb altogether and going straight for Ice Cream Sandwich. Then again, the current restrictions could also be due to licensing deals. I remember the HP TouchPad being blocked by Hulu shortly after the fire sale.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #77
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
If you're not a technical person, be careful!!!! Sideloading can brick your Kindle Fire! Only download from verified sources (maybe even just the developer's websites) and check the permissions.
Really? Would you care to provide a link? I would like to see that...

Also, I don't think the device has been in the hands of enough people to know what kind of recovery options Amazon has built into the device.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Really? Would you care to provide a link? I would like to see that...

Also, I don't think the device has been in the hands of enough people to know what kind of recovery options Amazon has built into the device.
Even if you did brick it. Amazon would replace it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #79
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
But it is not ethical to get your device replaced JUST because you bricked it. It's not like Amazon wouldn't turn it on the moment you sent it back and not see that either.

You can reset the device within the Settings menu, as said in the Kindle Fire manual.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #80
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But it is not ethical to get your device replaced JUST because you bricked it. It's not like Amazon wouldn't turn it on the moment you sent it back and not see that either.

You can reset the device within the Settings menu, as said in the Kindle Fire manual.
It's under warranty. If doesn't work get it replaced. Amazon doesn't mind stuff like that they will still replace it. People have sat on their Kindles broke the screen and then told them and Amazon replaced the device without a problem. So it's worry free at least for a year and even then they give out discounts to replace it. They are wonderful!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #81
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Don't expect the same treatment for the Fire though. They're already losing out on enough money by selling it to you for cheap! You can't feel the Kindle 3 under you when you sit on it, but the Fire is thicker and has a better long lasting screen. It'd be like sitting on a flat screen.

And personally, I would be really disgusted if Amazon was replacing Kindle Fires that the little kids are breaking and/or drooling all over. Mostly because it's more the customer's problem than it is theirs.

Battery problems, headphone jack not working, speakers busting (to an extent, you can't expect a tablet to work like an amp, dumb move period), and drive failures are real issues. Not that your kid has decided to try and draw pretty pictures all over it or sat on the screen.

People need to accept wear and tear, and they need to accept that just because your device breaks doesn't mean it's the fault of the person who sold it to you.

And if I was an Amazon shareholder, I'd be pretty mad to see all my money going into Kindle replacements.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Don't expect the same treatment for the Fire though. They're already losing out on enough money by selling it to you for cheap! You can't feel the Kindle 3 under you when you sit on it, but the Fire is thicker and has a better long lasting screen. It'd be like sitting on a flat screen.

And personally, I would be really disgusted if Amazon was replacing Kindle Fires that the little kids are breaking and/or drooling all over. Mostly because it's more the customer's problem than it is theirs.

Battery problems, headphone jack not working, speakers busting (to an extent, you can't expect a tablet to work like an amp, dumb move period), and drive failures are real issues. Not that your kid has decided to try and draw pretty pictures all over it or sat on the screen.

People need to accept wear and tear, and they need to accept that just because your device breaks doesn't mean it's the fault of the person who sold it to you.

And if I was an Amazon shareholder, I'd be pretty mad to see all my money going into Kindle replacements.
Seeing I don't have Kids and I treat my devices like china. I'm not worried but it's good to know Kindle support will replace it if something goes wrong.

If you install an app and it breaks the device it's not your fault, rooting would be a different matter. It would be like installing a non Amazon book on a normal Kindle and it stopped working. I would expect it to be replaced. If Amazon was worried they would have disabled that feature.

There's always Squaretrade which will refund your money of the purchase price so you can go that route too if you buy a plan from them but I don't think it's really needed because Amazon will take care of it if something goes wrong or offer a discount to fix it.

I don't see them changing how they do things with the Fire.

I paid $189 for my Kindle which isn't too much more than the Fire then we could talk about the DX's price. I am pretty confident we will continue to receive the quality of support we always have. I'm also sure if the device was return busted more then once Amazon wouldn't replace it for free but for software locks up and stuff like that, it's not something you can control. Again I'm not talking about rooting although I've seen jail broken kindles replaced without a problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #83
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Assuming you can brick it. I refuse to believe it until I see proof (and no, halt-and-catch fire viruses on rooted devices don't count).

Also, bricked, as people use the term today, usually doesn't mean that the manufacturer can't restore it to working order. Amazon would simply be out a little bit for shipping.

Quote:
If it is bricked, then you obviously can't reach the menu. Anyway, reset is different than recover. The Nook Color, for example, can have a special SD card that you pop in to restore the system. It also has some extra space reserved for software to do the same if it detects your device is turning on properly. I'm sure Amazon's engineers can use a plug (perhaps not USB) to restore a device, but is the device itself so smart?
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #84
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
I explored a little in the Appstore this afternoon, and I'm confused about something and hoping y'all can help. This will be my first Android product. I see that they have games like Angry Birds and Peggle. It looks like some of these games will only be able to be played when the wifi is turned on. Is that common for Android apps? It would be an unexpected downside, if so. I'm limited to 10 GB a month of bandwidth and would hate to have to use some of it to play a Peggle game I already downloaded!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
I explored a little in the Appstore this afternoon, and I'm confused about something and hoping y'all can help. This will be my first Android product. I see that they have games like Angry Birds and Peggle. It looks like some of these games will only be able to be played when the wifi is turned on. Is that common for Android apps? It would be an unexpected downside, if so. I'm limited to 10 GB a month of bandwidth and would hate to have to use some of it to play a Peggle game I already downloaded!
It means the program can only be downloaded through WiFi not 3G. once installed you just need internet access from time to time to keep the DRM on it happy.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #86
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It means the program can only be downloaded through WiFi not 3G. once installed you just need internet access from time to time to keep the DRM on it happy.
Thank you, Blossom! That makes me feel MUCH better.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #87
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Mashable just installed the BN android app onto the fire.

http://mashable.com/2011/11/14/kindl...runs-nook-app/
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #88
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Seeing I don't have Kids and I treat my devices like china. I'm not worried but it's good to know Kindle support will replace it if something goes wrong.

If you install an app and it breaks the device it's not your fault, rooting would be a different matter. It would be like installing a non Amazon book on a normal Kindle and it stopped working. I would expect it to be replaced. If Amazon was worried they would have disabled that feature.

There's always Squaretrade which will refund your money of the purchase price so you can go that route too if you buy a plan from them but I don't think it's really needed because Amazon will take care of it if something goes wrong or offer a discount to fix it.

I don't see them changing how they do things with the Fire.

I paid $189 for my Kindle which isn't too much more than the Fire then we could talk about the DX's price. I am pretty confident we will continue to receive the quality of support we always have. I'm also sure if the device was return busted more then once Amazon wouldn't replace it for free but for software locks up and stuff like that, it's not something you can control. Again I'm not talking about rooting although I've seen jail broken kindles replaced without a problem.
Amazon is smart. A little PR goes a long way. If a company treats you nice you are more apt to buy from them. Also when a friend asks for recommendations, more likely to say buy from say Amazon, or Costco cause of their great CS and return policy.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Amazon is smart. A little PR goes a long way. If a company treats you nice you are more apt to buy from them. Also when a friend asks for recommendations, more likely to say buy from say Amazon, or Costco cause of their great CS and return policy.

Carol
Next time we moved I so gonna make sure there is a Costco nearby. I've never been to one but I hear it mention often.

I see that ES File Explorer and Opera Mini work on the Fire!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #90
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Next time we moved I so gonna make sure there is a Costco nearby. I've never been to one but I hear it mention often.
Like Amazon, Costco has excellent customer service. Another store with excellent CS is REI. What's interesting is that all three stores are based in metro Seattle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote