Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 08-03-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exclamation iSilo 4.0 Beta Bug Report

** Please post your problems with the new iSilo / iSiloX beta here. Also mention your PDA device and your system information (accessible in iSilo via Tools->System Information) . **

Problem: Slate Channel

I converted the Slate channel from the WCC (see attached file). Only changes I did in iSiloX 4.0 B1 was to set Text Encoding to "Unicode (UTF-8)" and enable Image Compression with "Loosy for 200+ color images".

iSilo 4.0 B1 (on Clie N760C):
with Slate loaded: Dynamic Free: 935K, Storage Free: 1172K.

My region options are set to 15% screen up, 35% drag, 35% drag, 15% screen down. When I press the screen down region several times, my Clie resets with a Fatal Exception. This does not happen when I use the Down button or the Jog dial button.

Not sure if it is related to the character encoding, but in the text there are ? (question marks) all over the place.

In general, scrolling seems to be much slower than in the past. I assume this has to do with the loosy image compression and my relatively old Clie.

Problem: Font Manager

I wasn't able to use any of PalmReaderPro's fonts (like the Utah font). They are recognized by the fontmanager, but they don't do anything when I click on them. From what I understood, these are simple FontHack fonts (and can also be used by FontHack). But instead of supplying a bundled single database file (like Lubak's OS5 font), the PRPro fonts come as individual files (size 10, 12, 18, 24...).
Attached Files
File Type: pdb slate.pdb (714.4 KB, 523 views)
Old 08-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Device: Clie NR70V
FATAL EXCEPTION WHEN VIEWING BRIGHTHAND CHANNELS
I am getting a fatal exception when ever I view Brighthand channels. I use the WCC settings with some modification for the following channels: Brighthand Palm News, Brighthand Palm Views, and Brighthand Palm Reviews. I have attached an .ixl file with the settings for these three channels. I should point out that these come from another .ixl file that I use for all my daily conversions (34 in all) and none of the others are causing issues.

The files load just fine in iSilo 4.00 b1. However, when I try to do anything like scroll, drag, or tap a link, I get a fatal exception.

I have an NR70V with 864K (out of 1017K) free dynamic RAM and 3852K (out of 15359K) free storage ram.
Attached Files
File Type: ixl brighthand.ixl (8.9 KB, 631 views)

Last edited by volcanopele; 08-03-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Advert
Old 08-03-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Re: iSilo 4.0 Beta Bug Report

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander

Not sure if it is related to the character encoding, but in the text there are ? (question marks) all over the place.
I am gettting these as well in several of my channels.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
iSilo
Developer
iSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it is

Font Silo™ supports only single-byte text encodings such as the windows-1252 Western European text encoding. If a document is specified to have any other encoding such as any of the UTF-8, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean text encodings, then the document displays with the device font even if you select installed fonts for the document.

Most Palm devices do not have UTF-8 support built-in, so if you see a bunch of question marks, then most likely your device either does not have UTF-8 support.

Recommendation is to set the output encoding to Windows-1252 when converting with iSiloX. If you are converting for Pocket PC or Windows, then UTF-8 will work across those platforms, but UTF-8 is very much not guaranteed to be compatible across all Palm OS verisons. When UTF-8 is encountered by iSilo and the OS does not provide support, iSilo can only display the values that are encoded within one byte. All other UTF-8 encoded characters come out as question marks. In general, if the source content was encoded using UTF-8 and contains only characters from the Windows-1252 character set, then setting the output encoding to Windows-1252 in iSiloX for conversion will give correct results. Characters in the Windows-1252 character set that have values greater than 128 are encoded using two or three bytes in UTF-8. To re-iterate iSiloX will correctly perform the transcoding from UTF-8 to Windows-1252.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
volcanopele
Connoisseur

Thanks very much. I will make the neccessary changes
Advert
Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had another document causing a fatal exception. http://www.theinquirer.net/ uses the utf-8 charset, and in iSiloX I had Default Text Encoding selected (guess it is time to edit the WCC accordingly). iSiloX converted the document as utf-8, correctly, and iSilo displays this information in "document information" as such. But as soon as I want to use my stylus to either scroll or click on a link, my Clie crashes. Navigation buttons work without a problem.

I understand now that in general I should convert utf-8 to Windows-1252, but nevertheless the crash looks ugly to me Maybe some kind of warning popup that utf-8 is currently not support by Palm handhelds....
Old 08-04-2003, 12:57 PM   #7
volcanopele
Connoisseur

Yeah, I found this to be the case with Brighthand. When I set the output encoding to Windows-1252, the channels worked fine without a crash.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #8
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
cyrillic

I use cyrillic fonts, and I cannot use FontHack123 or the Lubak fonts - they are overridden by the cyrillic. Will this not be the case with these new iSilo fonts? Because of the problems I had with font clashes in the past, I will not install this beta until I know the answer. radleyp
Old 08-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi,

I'm using a windows 98 machine (1st release, not SR). It's a fairly standard Celeron 600 with 128 MB ram, and was running iSiloX v3.5 with no problems at all.

I am having trouble with the built in converter for Internet Explorer (IE v5.00.2614-3500 is installed). Every time I click on the convert button in IE, it crashes the browser with the following (pasted) error:

=====================
IEXPLORE caused an exception 03H in module ISILOXIE.DLL at 017f:01b789a5.
Registers:
EAX=0058daa0 CS=017f EIP=01b789a5 EFLGS=00000202
EBX=00000000 SS=0187 ESP=0058adc4 EBP=0058adf0
ECX=01b998e8 DS=0187 ESI=028806a8 FS=191f
EDX=028806a0 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
89 7d ec 8b 46 fc 8d 55 ec 52 68 30 36 ba 01 8b
Stack dump:
77c620a8 0042c7b0 00000000 6534156d 7ffce00c 0042f2b8 0042c800 00000000 0058daa0 01b98368 00000000 0058ae70 77ce3561 028806a8 00000000 00000000
=====================

As I said, this worked fine using v3.5.

This is not good for me, as due to firewall constraints at work, this is the only method I can use to convert web content while at work.

---------
Addendum: I went home and installed the iSiloX beta, and had the same crash when using the converter button in IE there.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've encountered another problem (on the same work machine/installation). In iSiloX, I tried accessing the Make Font option under the tools menu, and crashed iSiloX with the following details:

====================
ISILOX caused an invalid page fault in
module GDI32.DLL at 017f:bff23582.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=bff23582 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=0075f928 SS=0187 ESP=0075f25c EBP=0075f2c4
ECX=00000776 DS=0187 ESI=0075f9c0 FS=5047
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=0075f2ac GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
0f b6 50 17 ff 74 24 14 52 83 c0 1c 50 ff 74 24
Stack dump:
0075f9c0 00000002 00405107 00000776 00000000 00405070 0075f9c0 00000000 0000831c 0040557d 0000831c 0075f2f8 0043e63c 0045ef40 0046ffa8 0075f2e0
====================

Haven't tried this one at home yet (like the convert button in IE) but will try it tonight.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
iSilo
Developer
iSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it is

General: Summary of issues that have been investigated and will definitely be addressed in an update to the beta expected later this week:

1. In iSilo for Palm OS, tapping on the content of a document encoded whose text encoding is UTF-8 results in a crash.
2. In iSilo for Palm OS, searching for text always results in no matches.
3. In iSiloX on Windows 9x/Me, invoking Tools/Make Font results in a crash.
4. Invoking iSiloX Clipper for Internet Explorer results in a crash.

radleyp: You can have each individual document use a different font, so there isn't the issue of any font being overridden by any other. So you can have both Cyrillic fonts and regular Western European fonts installed.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #12
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
I can make fonts with iSilox. But I have to save them to file, when I select "Queue for Hotsync", nothing seems to get installed.

I am running Windows XP Professional. the IE Web Clipper also crashes for me right now.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:15 PM   #13
sfringer
sfringer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T615C
madmaxmedia,
I'm having the same queueing error when making fonts (also running WinXP Pro SP1 here), but no issues with the Clipper app (though I don't really use IE, so I don't use the Clipper too often). I alos have been happily using my already installed FontBucket fonts, so having the iSilo generated fonts isn't a necessity to me.

Scott
Old 08-08-2003, 05:16 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Just installed iSilo/X 4.0 beta 2. Runs very smooth.

Here a minor: For a document made with iSiloX 4.0b and with iSiloX 4.0 specific features (loosy compression, text encoding, ...), document information in iSilo 4.0b still shows Type: iSilo 3.x.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:18 AM   #15
sfringer
sfringer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T615C
Alexander,
Thanks for the heads up... downloading now!

Scott