Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
KP 3 shows TOC "not specified" in Book Info

Hello, using Kindle Previewer 3 (latest v downloaded today).

KP3 converted the epub fine, and all looks good, except when I click View > Book Info and it lists a handful of variables compiled from the meta data, most say "specified" (good), but for Table of Contexts it says "no specified" (though NCX is specified).

Also "Start Reading" says "unspecified" though I am less concerned about that but would fix it if I knew how.

What do I need to add to the meta data for Kindle to see these as "specified", particularly the TOC?

TIA.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
What do I need to add to the meta data for Kindle to see these as "specified", particularly the TOC?
Sigil:

Book Browser > Right-click the HTML TOC > Add Semantics... > Table of Contents
Book Browser > Right-click the first chapter > Add Semantics... > Text

Calibre:

Edit book > Tools > Set Semantics > Table of Contents/Text
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Sigil:

Book Browser > Right-click the HTML TOC > Add Semantics... > Table of Contents
Book Browser > Right-click the first chapter > Add Semantics... > Text
@Doitsu Thanks so much! I am using Sigil.

One question... when I generated an HTML TOC all HTML files in the book were renamed to XHTML, as is the TOC file. Will this be an issue when Kindle Previewer converts to mobi, or when I ultimately upload to Amazon for publication?

Wondering why the simple act of generating an HTML TOC changed the entire doc from HTML to Extensible ? I'm not knowledgeable enough about any of this to know if it matters.

Thanks again for your QUICK ANSWER!

Last edited by Trane; 11-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Will this be an issue when Kindle Previewer converts to mobi, or when I ultimately upload to Amazon for publication?
This has never happened to me. IMHO, .xhtml is the better file extension anyway.

Quote:
Will this be an issue when Kindle Previewer converts to mobi, or when I ultimately upload to Amazon for publication?
Make sure to check your epub with the IDPF online validator or my EpubCheck plugin.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This has never happened to me. IMHO, .xhtml is the better file extension anyway.
Right, okay figured it wasn't an issue.

Quote:
Make sure to check your epub with the IDPF online validator or my EpubCheck plugin.
Don't have java installed (try not to have it on my machines) so unfortunately cannot use yours! I do use Flight Crew inside Sigil and will try the online checker as a double-check.

Appreciate your help and time, so thanks again!
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

BTW, if you select Create HTML Table Of Contents, Sigil will automatically add the proper semantics. If you select the HTML TOC and select Add Semantics... > Table of Contents, it'll remove the TOC semantics.

You can check the semantics in your book by looking at the <guide> section in content.opf, which should look like this:

Code:
<guide>
    <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Text/TOC.xhtml"/>
    <reference type="text" title="Text" href="Text/chapter1.xhtml"/>
  </guide>
(Of course your file names will differ.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-19-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Trane
Groupie

Once again you called it! I had created the HTML TOC then right-clicked for Semantics...

...and checking the <guide> as you just suggested, it had been removed. So right-clicked the file to put it back.

You are a life saver... I wouldn't have noticed this until much later when I checked it in Preview again, and by then would have done 50 other things and nearly forgotten about this, wondering what happened.

Thanks much!