Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Android Market app gets major overhaul and adds Books and Movies purchase to app

For some time the web version of the Google market allowed users to buy books and rent movies; but there was no way of doing so from the Android app. Not very integrated and difficult to use. The new market has tighter integration with android devices. Users can purchase books and immediately launch the reader app, so claims googles video. The same is true for movie rentals.

Not sure if this is enough for folks to start buying books from Google. But the user experience has now greatly enhanced, in my opinion. BTW notice how much the new store looks like a combination of Amazon's appstore and WM7(new look).

Quote:
Recently, we’ve been hard at work improving Android Market to give you new ways to find great applications and games, purchase books, and rent movies. Today, we’re releasing a new version of Android Market which makes all of these available on phones (Android 2.2 and higher)....

more...
[UPDATE:] Don't want to wait; XDA Dev have provided the app here. (download). Click on the link to download and install.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-13-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fixed title of post. Updated body of text
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On day I'll make a post without any typos....today is not that day. Can I please have a mod update the title for me. It should read.

"Android Market app gets major overhaul and adds Books and Movies purchase to app."

Thank you,
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-12-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Overall or Overhaul?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard

ha ha, overhaul. thx
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Cool. Thanks for posting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
On day I'll make a post without any typos....today is not that day. Can I please have a mod update the title for me. It should read.

"Android Market app gets major overhaul and adds Books and Movies purchase to app."

Thank you,
=X=
Your wish is granted!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It looks alright. I mean, I was ok with the way it was before, but I'll give this some time before I grab my pitchfork and storm the castle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I didn't watch the video (so probably shouldn't weigh in ) but I don't understand why I would want this. Maybe I'll feel differently after it is launched.

I wouldn't mind having *additional and separate* apps that have book and movie capability, but I don't think I want one gigantic app to manage it all for me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
EBookBro
Banned
EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Wow, no way. This is one thing I've always wanted to download this stuff for my phone. I wouldn't want to read a book on my phone because of eye strain, but the movies would be great.
EBookBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

@sakura-panda: The Market is really a store front that interfaces with other apps. The books opens up google books. Movies open up youtube for preview and a new video player for movies. The market still manages apps.

WOW I am really impressed with the new market. I remember all the hype and exitement with the previous app and I was not impressed.

I really like the new market interface. It really makes use of all the space and gives you a good highlevel view of the important facts, screen shoot, rating, name. The layout is the same for books, movies, and apps.

As advertised the app is much faster than the old market. Searches can be applied on the Market, Books, Movies or across all three.

The new product pages, when you select the app/movie/book looks great. It is laid out very nicely makes great use of the screen both on my phone and nook.

The integration is fantastic, opening books is seamless. Google sync works better than any product I've seen. The wispersync is close but not as good. If only google ebooks was not utter garbage compared to moon/kindle I might be tempted to switch over.

I did not try the movies. I guess I cant get over the hump of paying $3-$4 to watch movie on my 4" screen especially when most of those movies can be streamed through netflix. I'd rather put those funds to lunch or buying an app.

For those that are excited about the Movie feature and want to see it in action. Here is a review done by the folks at phandroid.

=X=
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

I really like the new market interface. It really makes use of all the space and gives you a good highlevel view of the important facts, screen shoot, rating, name. The layout is the same for books, movies, and apps.
=X=
You got it already? It hasn't shown up for me...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

I didn't wait for the push, somebody on xda posted a link to the latest market app.

I've updated my first post with the link. If you decide to download the apk. Follow the link, the direct download link is no longer working due to bandwidth issues.