Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Not able to read .pdf files

My new & very aggrivating Kindle2 (firmware=2.3) is not able to read pdf files. What up??!

the error msg reads: "Your Kindle has encountered an unexpected error. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the menu in settings and try again." It did persist (tried 3 different files) and restarted 3x to no avail. HELP! Shall I try to bring files over once more? What is the best way to do so?

If the files are DRM'd, is there a way to deDRM them as I did with .mobi files?
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
check my sig.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
neadams99

LZ:

I saw your sig where I was to go to http://paste2.org/p/647889 I tried to make a _plugin.py for my Calibre software and then it should've worked. I found the instx lacking for me, a newbie. I know I didn't do something right. It didn't work. I began with the instx for Epub/PDF: I omitted the fist part that related to mobi/prc files as I already can do that. The other issue is that the first link was broken: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=DRM_R...d7ab29d0c8bbb9
I must not have done something as I couldn't get Calibre to recognize it as a plugin. Steps I followed: copied and pasted the script to notepad as a (.txt file) beginning with the line 24. Saved as "PDF_plugin.py". Went to documents and created a .zip folder with the .txt file in it. This seems wrong to me. How is python to recognize the file or run it? Should I have copied it into the Python26/tools/scripts file?? Anyway, the Calibre was not able to help me out deDRM the PDF files like I though & hoped it may.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
The link works fine for me, you need to click the first link on the google search page.

As for calibre, Im not sure. I have never used calibre as a front end to break drm. My tutorial is meant for the command line on a windows system with python 2.6+ installed.

I can tell you that python scripts should have a .py extension. Python doesn't know its a python file until it starts interpreting the file. As for starting the copy at line 24, dont do the entire file. The first line #!/usr/bin/python is critical, and you may want to change it to path of python26.

I hope that helps a bit. If not let me know. But since you are havinga problem with pdf, you likely want the pdf section of the tutorial.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
neadams99

okay, thanks for the info. I was trying to run the python script using a*.txt extension on it (not *.py)! Worked!

It sure is great to open up my K2 to all sorts of new ebooks! Now, I must get to actually reading them.
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
bsabourin
bsabourin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I need to convert pdf files to azw files, zorz says to check his sig...as I did, to no avail on finding his tutorials, although, it would have been nice if he just posted the link to where his tutorial links are at as he states here, "I hope that helps a bit. If not let me know. But since you are having a problem with pdf, you likely want the pdf section of the tutorial." Ok...whelp, where are all these tutorials, I checked all the pages that he has posted and I can not find any links for tutorials.
bsabourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Google "Apprentice Alf's Blog".
No one here is allowed to discuss the specifics of DRM removal (nor post links to specific tools or tutorials concerning DRM removal). It's against the rules. Questions can be asked and are answered on Alf's blog.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.pdf, error message, kindle2, troubleshooting