Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #76
nijntjeuska
nijntjeuska began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dutch-English and English-Slovak dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
Thanks stehk, using 2 dictionaries at the same time works perfectly on my Kindle 3 now! My use case is slightly different: Dutch-English dictionary as primary and English-Slovak dictionary for case I do not know an English word from the Dutch-English translation (there is no good direct Dutch-Slovak dictionary).

At first I thought I would set the language of the primary dict to en, so that I can keep correct dict metadata (en->sk) for the English-Slovak dict. However, from some reason this did not work - the primary dict was always used... so I tried your example of setting the primary dict to fr and the secondary to fr->sk and that worked. I don't understand why I have to work it around in this way but not a big deal for me

Janvanmaar, please, where have you found Dutch-English and English-Slovak dictionaries for Kindle? I am looking for both of them for a few days. I have only found one Dutch-English dictionary on www.amazon.com, however, according to the reviews I decided not to buy it. It's cheap, but not worth even the small price it cost. Thank you
nijntjeuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #77
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Well, those dictionaries are commercial dictionaries that are not available directly in Kindle format, so I had to convert them and add inflections to them myself... Basically, here are a few possibilities I know of:

- there is a pretty good English-Czech dictionary for Kindle at http://www.uloz.to/6464818/encs-dictionary-2-0-mobi - this is a free GNU dictionary, so you can freely download it and use it straight away or even distribute it if you want

- in case you own an older Lingea Lexicon English-Slovak dictionary, Van Dale Pocketbook or Van Dale Big Dutch-English dictionary, you can convert them to mobi dictionaries (and add inflections so that you could search also for derived word forms such as plurals, past tense etc)

The possibility of conversion and adding inflections may apply to any other dictionaries you own that have accessible database but note that it requires quite some work and at least basic programming skills! I found basically all information needed to do that here on MR forums but feel free to PM me in case you want to do this and need some help - I can give you more details on how to proceed. I certainly hope more good dictionaries will appear directly for Kindle in the future, so that this extra work is not necessary...

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #78
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
in case you own an older Lingea Lexicon English-Slovak dictionary, Van Dale Pocketbook or Van Dale Big Dutch-English dictionary, you can convert them to mobi dictionaries
Hi jan,

Just wondering which older version of the Van Dale Groot you're referring to. I've searched the Internet for a version I could convert and haven't had any luck finding one (except for the Pocket).

As I mentioned earlier, I thought about adding inflections to the pocket version, but this seemed like a lot of work for a dictionary that doesn't have much to offer.

I would consider investing the time, though, if I could find a workable version of the Groot Woordenboek NL-EN.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #79
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Hi veezh, I do not have and thus I have not converted Van Dale Groot myself (yet?) but I know it is not protected and even offers export to Word. So I am pretty sure it would be possible to get the words and convert to mobi. At the moment I am using the Pocketbook version but I am considering buying the Big one and converting - the Pocketbook is certainly usable but sometimes limited. The main problem is the price of the Big one - it seems to be pretty expensive...
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #80
cristianm
cristianm began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle 3, PRS-650
A French-Romanian dictionary (approx. 17.000 words), and an English-Romanian one (36.000 words, 1200 proper nouns and 20.000 phrases).
Both are .prc, showing the correct Romanian letters.
Cheers!
cristianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #81
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
Hello, acmatos. I think I can help (I'm using the same French dictionary)
I'm attaching a small application I made that can patch the language of a mobi book. Please use it only on a backup copy of the file you want to modify, it's an application made in an hour or so!
The idea is that for the books I have I could change the language code so I could play with it (in the beginning I thought the languages of the book being read and the default dictionary must match, but it's not the case with Kindle). After a while I have realised that the only good thing this dirty app can be used for is to patch a dictionary file to English... But if it will help you, that's all that matters.
It's easy to use:
1. Make a copy of your file (the MOBI dictionary).
2. Open that copy.
3. Select English (US).
3. Click Patch and wait (it should take less than a minute).
Done!
I hope it is working...
Could you add an option for Turkish, too? I would like to use this..
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #82
martagar
martagar began at the beginning.

Device: kk
The following is translated from the original Spanish with 'google traslate':

"I turn up the thread to see if you can fix what you can change the main dictionary keybord kindle (formerly kindle 3).

View current thread related:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154712"
martagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #83
yaodis
yaodis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 (3g)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
There is nothing special with that little program. Practically all it does is open a file and put the language code at three different offsets. It finds those offsets after a sequence of 20 0xFFs or so...
hi LucasCorso,which three different offsets do you meaning,is like the https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI#MOBI_Header said 92,96,100?
and your program modify them all?

and I also can't find 20 0xFFs or so... in the header
I just find 16 0xFFs after "mobi"
here is my screenshot
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	990
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	78295

if input 20 0xFFs in the find filed, here is the first found
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	78296
yaodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #84
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
language codes

recently I have been playing around with my dictionaries again.

I found it always annoying to find the right offset in the hex file.
So I just searched for the original language code instead as listed below

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/...SLangCodes.htm

For the dictionary language metadata there are usually 3 entries, all divided by "00 00" I think.

This way it should be fairly easy to change dict. language.
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #85
Lustiger aLFRED
Lustiger aLFRED began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
hey

I have a kindle touch and a french dictionary which I cannot define as the primary dictionary.
I don't have a clue, why :-)
Lustiger aLFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #86
pportnawak
pportnawak began at the beginning.

hello, there is a post witha prog called mobimetaeditor in java.
i succeed in matching text and dictionary with it.
pportnawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #87
pportnawak

is there someone with a working dictionnary with japanese english or japanese french ?
What is the form i should use to pruduce a dictionarry ?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #88
pportnawak

japanese dictionary for kindle

is there someone with a working dictionnary with japanese english or japanese french ?
What is the form i should use to pruduce a dictionarry ?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #89
cristianm
cristianm began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle 3, PRS-650
English-Romanian dictionary

English-Romanian dictionary built from the word list of the Romanian Academy dictionary and the AGID list of inflections. It has 93.638 unique entries and 69.095 inflections.

Last edited by cristianm; 12-13-2012 at 04:23 AM.
cristianm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle