Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 12:38 AM   #16
shallnot
shallnot began at the beginning.

Device: Oa2, Voyage, PPW1-3-4, Fire 2-5th & iPhone
In my opinion, even PPW3 is sharper than PPW4. In term of contrast, this scale is based on my personal experience with these devices: Voyage > PPW3 > Oasis2 > PPW4. When using Oasis2 the fact that it has 12 led lights make it brighter than any other devices on the same brightness level, it's kinda hard to adjust the brightness level best for my eyes (terrible eyesight), meanwhile, I really dislike the design of PPW4, the back is too slippery and give off a feeling of plastic on the front screen. Hence, the Voyage is like the best of both world, and it's really very nice (the only thing that's not so nice is it's 4GB storage)

I first used a PPW3 then switched to Voyage - fell in love with the device but still switched to Oa2 for 7" screen, then sold it and bought a PPW4 for more affordable price, but I really don't like this device, so much that I had to buy a Voyage once again after only 1 month with it (I usually use an ereader for more than 6 months period before selling it)
shallnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I know a lot of potential owners are nervous about purchasing Kindles on Ebay, worried about getting a non registerable unit. At the moment though there are multiple vendors offering claimed Amazon refurbished Kindle Voyage readers at excellent prices. I just ordered one from an ebay vendor, the top end wifi and cellular version, for $65 including shipping and tax. Vendor has close to 190,000 feedback count, a 99.2% rating and offers a 30 day return and has multiple units available. IMO a great price considering this model originally sold for $290. IMO about the best 6" Kindle reader Amazon has offered, unless you want audible support, and the firmware is still being regularly updated.

I will report back on condition when it arrives.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I know a lot of potential owners are nervous about purchasing Kindles on Ebay, worried about getting a non registerable unit. At the moment though there are multiple vendors offering claimed Amazon refurbished Kindle Voyage readers at excellent prices. I just ordered one from an ebay vendor, the top end wifi and cellular version, for $65 including shipping and tax. Vendor has close to 190,000 feedback count, a 99.2% rating and offers a 30 day return and has multiple units available. IMO a great price considering this model originally sold for $290. IMO about the best 6" Kindle reader Amazon has offered, unless you want audible support, and the firmware is still being regularly updated.

I will report back on condition when it arrives.
Please tell us the condition of your unit when it arrives.

Also, what's that ebay link that you ordered your unit from?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #19
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please tell us the condition of your unit when it arrives.

Also, what's that ebay link that you ordered your unit from?
Link below and unit shipping today per an ebay notification email. I have no association with the vendor other than being a customer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...53.m1438.l2649
Old 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #21
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Unit arrived today, Saturday. Front of unit looks totally new. Back polished area has several very small diameter roundish scratch marks that are quite shallow. Hard to even see without magnification and a bright light. Packed in a standard refurbished Kindle brown cardboard box. Not sure of original status but the box seal says "Unacceptable" which to me would indicate that it probably failed the maker's cosmetic inspection due to the noted marks on the back so was never sold as a new unit. Marks totally invisible once installed in a case.

Firmware as received was 5.12.1. Once WiFi enabled and unit registered it updated to 5.12.4. Fully functional and no problem with registration. Does have advertising so I need to decide whether or not to pay the removal fee. Battery was low enough so had to charge unit before it wold even turn on. Turned on at 8% charge. Overall a excellent buy IMO for $65 including tax and shipping.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try contacting Amazon first about the adverts/spam. That has worked for some people.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #23
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

I got the advertising removed for half price as after 24 hours it still had not been removed and the tech support person was more ignorant than I was about Kindle readers, at least the Voyage. Hate to see result if I phoned for help with a Kindle Keyboard. She submitted a engineering tech support request and gave me a half refund of the removal fee after having me try a restart and then a reset with no results. A wasted half hour or so. Advertising finally disappeared the next day. In the past when I did advertising removal it was gone in a few minutes.

As I do not do Manga or audible books the 4 GB memory and no audible support are not limitations for me while the page turn sensors, screen and overall characteristics make the Voyage my favorite 6" Kindle model. Lots of so called "refurbished" ones on ebay currently at good prices.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #24
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really wish they'd make a 7" Voyage

I vastly prefer the symmetrical design
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I have had all of the Kindles. The PW4 has the worst contrast of all of them that I've used. The PW3 was even better. I think the PW4 was a big miss. This is just my opinion, I'm sure many like the waterproofing, the bluetooth and the extra memory, etc., but the washed out contrast just kills it for me.

So to answer your question, the Voyage would be better, in my opinion.
kyrilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #26
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kyrilson

I fully agree - we had a PW4 that I sent back and instead got my wife a pre-owned Voyage, which she loves the screen on. It was a night and day difference between the two.

What's your opinion on the PW3 vs Voyage?
Old 04-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I have had all of the Kindles. The PW4 has the worst contrast of all of them that I've used. The PW3 was even better. I think the PW4 was a big miss. This is just my opinion, I'm sure many like the waterproofing, the bluetooth and the extra memory, etc., but the washed out contrast just kills it for me.

So to answer your question, the Voyage would be better, in my opinion.
The problem with the PW4 is because Amazon wanted to make it flush with the bezel. The screen is still in the same place as the PW3. So the layers are farther away from the screen then with the PW3 and because of this, the screen is not as clear/sharp as the PW3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the PW4 is because Amazon wanted to make it flush with the bezel. The screen is still in the same place as the PW3. So the layers are farther away from the screen then with the PW3 and because of this, the screen is not as clear/sharp as the PW3.
The Voyage has a flush screen too, and so does the Oasis. Both of them have better contrast than the PW4. So no, it's not the flush screen.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Voyage has a flush screen too, and so does the Oasis. Both of them have better contrast than the PW4. So no, it's not the flush screen.
The others could have been designed with the screen higher up then the PW4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #30
bookyboy
Addict

What are opinions on the PW3 vs Voyage?

The PW3 is the one hole in my Kindle model experiences over the last few years.