Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #46
iaTa
iaTa began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Updated to 5.11.2 and everything is working perfectly.

iaTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #47
veljudzic
veljudzic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2019
Hallo everyone, i am Veljko and fresh user of Kindle 2019(KT4) as serial number sead.
I tried to jallbreak it, transfered Merchant.zip and presed return, Kindle did freeze for minut or so, but i didnt het the message of succesfull jallbreak. When i tried to check by installing hotfix i get the error message.
veljudzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #48
veljudzic

After that Kindle restarted and it work normal as before .
Is there any danger if i try to install merchant.zip again. or do something differently if i mistaked somewhare.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by veljudzic View Post
After that Kindle restarted and it work normal as before .
Is there any danger if i try to install merchant.zip again. or do something differently if i mistaked somewhare.
The merchant.zip file will ONLY work on the "factory (use only)" firmware.
Which is why you had to use the "factory (use only)" firmware to begin with.
None of our add-ins are intended to work with the "factory (use only)" firmware, only with our "consumer (use)" firmware(s).

But Amazon hasn't posted consumer KT4 5.11, only 5.11.1 and 5.11.2
So your only choice is to update to one of the consumer use firmware versions that do not support the "merchant.zip" file.

Hmm...
Amazon has "obfuscated" the (direct) consumer URL(s), so just for reference here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.1.bin
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.2.bin

Amazon has also failed, as of this date, to post either of those software bundles. In fact, Amazon does not even list the "Kindle 10th" generation model firmware bundles.

Note:
If you keep your hands off of the main file system, other than /mnt/us, there isn't any chance of "making a mistake".
Every one of our add-ins that make changes to the main file system are packaged as update_*.bin filenames.
That is, our packages are all signed, "hands free" bundles. (Which is one of the reasons we provide our own Kindletool developement resource.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2019 at 11:17 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #50
veljudzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The merchant.zip file will ONLY work on the "factory (use only)" firmware.
Which is why you had to use the "factory (use only)" firmware to begin with.
None of our add-ins are intended to work with the "factory (use only)" firmware, only with our "consumer (use)" firmware(s).

But Amazon hasn't posted consumer KT4 5.11, only 5.11.1 and 5.11.2
So your only choice is to update to one of the consumer use firmware versions that do not support the "merchant.zip" file.

Hmm...
Amazon has "obfuscated" the (direct) consumer URL(s), so just for reference here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.1.bin
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.2.bin

Amazon has also failed, as of this date, to post either of those software bundles. In fact, Amazon does not even list the "Kindle 10th" generation model firmware bundles.

Note:
If you keep your hands off of the main file system, other than /mnt/us, there isn't any chance of "making a mistake".
Every one of our add-ins that make changes to the main file system are packaged as update_*.bin filenames.
That is, our packages are all signed, "hands free" bundles. (Which is one of the reasons we provide our own Kindletool developement resource.)
I just followed tutorial and I was sure I did everything that was written, obviously I didn't mastered terminology yet, don't quite understand everything you wrote, but thank you for your time and your response.
As I understood there is no harm done with my intervention on device?
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by veljudzic View Post
- - - - - - -
As I understood there is no harm done with my intervention on device?
I do not understand what that sentence could mean.

Perhaps someone else could explain.
or
Try posting in your native language, someone can help (we have thousands of members here).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #52
veljudzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I do not understand what that sentence could mean.

Perhaps someone else could explain.
or
Try posting in your native language, someone can help (we have thousands of members here).
Sorry. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #53
HoanPiTa
Enthusiast
HoanPiTa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
paperwhite 3

Can i use method for my papwhite 3 ver 5.11.2
HoanPiTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #54
DokZoidberg
DokZoidberg began at the beginning.

Device: KT4W
KT4W

Hi! I've just bought a new KT4W here in France for the Prime day and I'm trying to jailbreak it in order to read epubs.
It came with the 5.11 firmware and I, apparently, have had success on installing the factory firmware.
But when I restart my kindle it asks me to cancel the airplane mode so I could download an upgrade that would make my chinese reading more fluent (I'm unable to read chinese, so I really don't know why); and when I try to jailbreak the device with the ;merchant method I don't get the "you are jailbroken" document.
Maybe it's because it's the white model?
Is it because I registered the device previously? I've already deregistered it and tried once more to jailbreak it, but unsuccesfully.
Any suggestions?
DokZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Don't cancel airplane mode.

You need to wait for NiLuJe to try to help you. He will need the first 6 characters of your serial number.

However, if you break 5.11, I think you will be the first.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If it's not in the table, then, yeah, I'll just need the S/N prefix, since you already mentioned that's it's a White KT4 purchased in Europe .

EDIT: That said, that W could be ambiguous (I usually assume it means WiFi only, but it gets trickier with models that have a white variant). Does it have LTE support?

EDIT²: Except, no, the S/N has nothing to do with the Factory JB being successful or not, so, do answer that S/N question, but that smells like you're not really on a factory FW.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokZoidberg View Post
It came with the 5.11 firmware and I, apparently, have had success on installing the factory firmware.
But when I restart my kindle it asks me to cancel the airplane mode so I could download an upgrade that would make my chinese reading more fluent (I'm unable to read chinese, so I really don't know why); and when I try to jailbreak the device with the ;merchant method I don't get the "you are jailbroken" document.
How many dictionaries do you have after installing factory firmware? I think there's supposed to be 20 or something.

The language thing is actually normal. It did that on my PW4, too. I think all it actually did was installed some Chinese fonts.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #58
DokZoidberg

Thank you j.p.s, NiLuJe and ilovejedd for your fast answers.
Once I received my new KT4W (DSN: G090WH--------P5) I turned it on and followed the instructions selecting spanish (Spain) as the kindle language (I even registered it at my Amazon account as my seventh kindle); then I put it into airplane mode.
then I started the jailbreak process: Downloaded update_kt4_5.11.0_factory.bin, sent it to the kindle and updated the kindle.
Then downloaded kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r16160.tar.xz, decompressed it and sent merchant.zip to the kindle
As I didn't get the "you're jailbroken" document when I searched for ;merchant,I tried again with no success.
Then I deregistered the kindle (I cancelled airplane mode just to do it, then I put it on again) and repeated the complete process once again but again with no success.
I have 18 dictionaries: German, chinese(2), spanish, french, english(6), italian, japanese(2), dutch, portuguese(2) and russian.
I have a large epub library and I don't like calibre conversions because I get too much errors when formatting the books, that's why I would like to jailbreak the device.
Any idea? ;-) Thx
Any idea?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 AM   #59
DokZoidberg

Ah, one more thing: The kindle was bought with "special offers"
Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #60
DokZoidberg

And one more: As the model is KT4, the ordinary kindle touch, it has no LTE support.
I guess I'm not on a factory firmware, but I installed it via the upgrade option on the kindle and I the MD5 checksum of the file was right