Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #28801
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Damn, now I want to read The Wizard's Butler.
Apache
Glory Season was one of my favorite, and less popular, Brin novels.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #28802
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Please don’t. That kind of comment is always unfortunate and worse when it’s part of a disparaging review.

“It’s for people who like that sort of thing.”
I don't feel that I should apologize, so I'm apologizing for the fact that I didn't do so. None of my Goodreads friends took offence. One of them asked me why I said the book was for women. I gave my reasons and she said fair enough.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #28803
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
You may not feel you should apologise Luffy, but the comment is still a putdown. As issybird said, it would be much more reasonable to say the book is okay for those who like that sort of thing, but that you didn't.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 AM   #28804
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a putdown. I was simply trying to make sense of why I didn't like the book. Haven't you heard of the phrase 'different strokes for different folks'? Well, here the different folks were women.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #28805
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No: some of the folks who are different from you in liking the book are women. It's when one makes a sweeping generalisation that a statement becomes sexist or racist or whatever.
Advert
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #28806
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
It's not a putdown. I was simply trying to make sense of why I didn't like the book. Haven't you heard of the phrase 'different strokes for different folks'? Well, here the different folks were women.
Ah, so a book that is dull, repetitive, and relies heavily on fart jokes is more likely to appeal to women, and that’s not a putdown? it’s why I said blanket generalizations are always unfortunate. They tend to reveal an underlying bias, and when they’re coupled with negative comments, it’s hard to make any other inference.

You are free to think as you will, but justifying offensive comments to people of the demographic isn’t attractive.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #28807
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters - book 6 of the Amelia Peabody series. I'd loved the first book, liked the second and meh'd books 3, 4 and 5. So I left it 12 months before tackling this 6th book ... but it wasn't long enough, or something. Whatever the reason, this story dragged badly for me, even the supposed climax. But I did finish it. 2.5/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #28808
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters - book 6 of the Amelia Peabody series. I'd loved the first book, liked the second and meh'd books 3, 4 and 5. So I left it 12 months before tackling this 6th book ... but it wasn't long enough, or something. Whatever the reason, this story dragged badly for me, even the supposed climax. But I did finish it. 2.5/5.
Perhaps it’s time to abandon the series?

I enjoyed it longer than that, but I gave up eventually. The next generation did me in.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #28809
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
No: some of the folks who are different from you in liking the book are women. It's when one makes a sweeping generalisation that a statement becomes sexist or racist or whatever.
I am not saying that all women would like this book, or that everyone who loved the book is female. I'm simply saying that most of the people who gave this book a high rating are women because they were the target demographic, and that the author succeeded in her aim.

Quote:
Ah, so a book that is dull, repetitive, and relies heavily on fart jokes is more likely to appeal to women, and that’s not a putdown? it’s why I said blanket generalizations are always unfortunate. They tend to reveal an underlying bias, and when they’re coupled with negative comments, it’s hard to make any other inference.

You are free to think as you will, but justifying offensive comments to people of the demographic isn’t attractive.
What I am saying that despite having lewd jokes and being dull and repetitive, the book is a success with women because there was a connection. I didn't identify with the pains and troubles the females characters went through, because my limitation as a reader didn't allow me to do so. That's why I'm saying this book is for women.

Goodreads, as far as I've experienced it, be it groups that come with mods, or whether it's the authors's gender or the Goodreads librarians, are a slightly predominatingly female base. There are tons of groups about romantic urban fantasy, or classics, or what have you. Being in this environment makes me cock my head like I'm hearing a dog whistle whenever a bad book written by a woman, with a central female character, becomes a success in the ratings.

I love books written by female authors. My favorite genre is the cozy mystery. I have no problem liking good books that appeal to me despite being written for women. My limitation as a reader was what prevented me from liking that darned book. That's what it boils down to.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #28810
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Perhaps it’s time to abandon the series?

I enjoyed it longer than that, but I gave up eventually. The next generation did me in.
I had such high hopes after the first couple that I pushed things a bit further than I might have otherwise, but yes, I think I will give up on the intrepid Amelia for the foreseeable future. Eventually, I think it may be interesting to revisit the first book and just see whether I still enjoy it.

For the moment, for the want of some comfort and reassurance in these troubled times, I am re-reading (yet again) some of my Terry Pratchett books. It feels so good to settle in with old friends.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #28811
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I think a lot of us are doing some comfort re-reading, gmw. I know I am. At this point, I'm only buying books if it's a new book in a favourite series. And then only the most favourite.

Right now, I'm working my way back through the Bruno, Chief of Police series from Martin Walker. Mostly as Audible books, but some portion as eBooks.

The publisher of one of my favourites, Ian Hamilton's Ava Lee series, has just pushed off their dead tree date indefinitely, but pulled the eBook date forward to May from July. With Libraries and bookstores closed, DT books have no real place to be sold.

Last edited by CRussel; 03-25-2020 at 01:03 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #28812
Luffy
Wizard

My review of The Complete Sherlock Holmes:-

Spoiler:
It's great that we got Hound of the Baskervilles right before Return of Sherlock Holmes, because, after that, the knighted author would prove to be on autopilot.

I'm afraid that the test of time has not been overly kind to the canon Sherlock lore. It was a chore sometimes, to read through these short stories that have outstayed their welcome.

Maybe the detective ought to have stayed dead. But vox populi, vox Dei. Now that the work of Doyle is in Public Domain, many more new stories keep popping up. Incredibly, I've read only one such book. That must be remedied ASAP.

Last edited by Luffy; 03-25-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #28813
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I liked all of the Amelia Peabody series. I found all the silliness rather fun.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #28814
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I’m currently reading Bring Up the Bodies, the second volume of Hilary Mantel’s trilogy on Thomas Cromwell. It has been languishing on the shelf for some time, but now the third volume is out, I thought I should read it.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 03-26-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #28815
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
On the subject of comfort reading and such, Neil Gaiman has put some extra activities for both adults and children on his website for people self-isolating. https://neilgaiman.com/

He's also given blanket permission for anyone to read his stories in audio to share for keeping people entertained.

Neil Gaiman is a real hero among writers.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote