Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
Mountain343
Mountain343 began at the beginning.

Device: K4T
Unhappy Help! Extra Titles & Extra Authors errors & Missing Books!

I upgraded to the latest 3.4 (64 bit) Calibre this morning, and tonight I added about 25 new pdfs and it looked like it all worked fine, I was even able to grab them off the content server. I then shut down Calibre and came back to it a few hours later and a huge chunk of my stuff is missing!

I ran Library Maintenance - Check Library and it shows
356 Extra Titles
62 Extra Authors
75 Missing Book Formats

Last time I ran library maintenance was about 2 weeks ago and I had no errors. I don't really know what to do now. All of the books are there on the hard drive in the right place, but I guess somehow the database got messed up? This is on a windows vista 64 machine.

Anyone have any help?
Mountain343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Mountain343

So I tried the restore thing under library maintenance and it took about 7 hours but I believe most of the books are back.

One thing worth noting, I don't have a NAS system, nothing shared over networks, cloud, or anything like that. I'm the only one that connects to it, on a single computer, and use content server to download books onto my tablet, kindle, and laptop.

The thing I did notice is that the majority of the books that went missing, were new ones that I had searched/downloaded onto my laptop using the content server. I noticed there was a "grant write access" button on the content server user accounts tab, and I'm going to uncheck that. i don't know what it does, or if it's related, but it's the only thing I can think of changing.

I just wish I knew what happened to cause this problem.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain343 View Post
So I tried the restore thing under library maintenance and it took about 7 hours but I believe most of the books are back.

One thing worth noting, I don't have a NAS system, nothing shared over networks, cloud, or anything like that. I'm the only one that connects to it, on a single computer, and use content server to download books onto my tablet, kindle, and laptop.

The thing I did notice is that the majority of the books that went missing, were new ones that I had searched/downloaded onto my laptop using the content server. I noticed there was a "grant write access" button on the content server user accounts tab, and I'm going to uncheck that. i don't know what it does, or if it's related, but it's the only thing I can think of changing.

I just wish I knew what happened to cause this problem.
You probably just deposited them in the Library folder (a No-No).
Add books is how Calibre learns what it has.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #4
Mountain343

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You probably just deposited them in the Library folder (a No-No).
Add books is how Calibre learns what it has.
But that's the thing! I literally just did it the way I always have. Press A in calibre, highlight all of the pdfs, hit enter, it loads and then I add my tags and change the names and that's it.

I didn't drag and drop them via my computer, and they were actually there until I shut down. I even took screenshots of them in the website view to show a friend that I had added a bunch of papers and magazines to catch up on over summer break:

So I know they were in calibre and everything was hunky dory. I even read a few on my tablet using the content server to grab them.

But then I shut down calibre... walked away for a few hours, and when I reopened it... they weren't there! Thats when I ran the library maintenance and it showed the errors, ran the restore database and that seems to have added them back.

Those were the exact ones I got the errors on and were missing:
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 03 (24303) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 03 (24303)
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 04 (24299) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 04 (24299)
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 05 (24302) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 05 (24302)
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 06 (24298) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 06 (24298)
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 07 (24304) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 07 (24304)
Extra titles National Geographic - 2017 - 08 (24305) National Geographic Mag\National Geographic - 2017 - 08 (24305)

Extra titles All About History - Issue 50 2017 (24413) All About History mag\All About History - Issue 50 2017 (24413)
Extra titles All About History - Issue 51 2017 (24409) All About History mag\All About History - Issue 51 2017 (24409)
Extra titles All About History - Issue 52 2017 (24412) All About History mag\All About History - Issue 52 2017 (24412)
Extra titles All About History - Issue 53 2017 (24411) All About History mag\All About History - Issue 53 2017 (24411)

Restore database brought them back so it wasn't that I added them wrong, or else restore wouldn't have worked.

So... should I revert to an older version of calibre? Is this something i need to worry about? Like I said, no cloud, no nas, simply pressed A, saw them in the calibre window, changed the titles and stuff, viewed them, grabbed them onto my tablet later, and that's it.

I have about 500 more docs and stuff to add, but I'm nervous to do so now.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to the relevant library backend code in calibre in years. The new content sevrer goes through the same library backend code, so it is highly unlikely it is the cause either.

If you are nervous, simply make regular backups and try to come up witha scenario that reproduces your problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote