Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Question Formats for PRS-505 / Mobipocket

Hello! I'm new here My name is Kriselda, and I just got the Sony PRS-505 on Monday. I'm looking for more places to get content from than just the Sony eBook store, and was wondering if there's a list of sites that make books that are compatible with the PRS-505, or sites that have books that can easily be converted (for example, by using a basic converter where you don't have to set up too many parameters yourself.)

Also, I saw the site for Mobipocket books, but can't tell if those books can be used on a PRS_505 or not. It doesn't specifically list it, but other places on the site (like under the "Windows PC" section) it makes it sound like it can work with pretty much any reader.

Last question (well, for now, anyway ) I keep seeing "Calibre" being mentioned but hae no idea what it is - can anyone fill me in?

Thanks! And I look forward to talking to you all more soon
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
You can get free books in LRF format from www.manybooks.com, you can get free books from the downloads section of this forum (many are the same as available at manybooks, but formated more carefully), you can get free books at Munseys, you can get free books at SilkPagoda.

You can buy newer books in LRF format from Fictionwise (their MultiFormat books are available in LRF format, but their DRM books are locked into other formats which aren't Sony compatible, although you can buy LIT format books and follow procedures you can find on the net to remove the DRM and then convert using Calibre.

You can buy newer books in LRF format from BAEN.

Calibre is a wonderful program written by Kovid Goyal and downloadable for you to convert your own documents, or ones you can get for free at Project Gutenberg and elsewhere, into LRF format.

You can find out more about Calibre by going to the Content section of this forum.

Mobipocket format books won't work on the Sony Reader without conversion -- in the Content section of this forum are discussions on how to convert from Mobipocket format to LRF format.

You really should check out the Content section of this forum and read the sticky messages there to learn more. There is also a Wiki section of this forum where a lot of this is explained.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello Kriselda,

take a look at this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24487

Calibre is an application that let's you convert many different formats into lrf, the one the 505 uses, as well as changing font, margins, cover...

Welcome to Mobileread. If you were looking for PRS-505 stuff, this is the place
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Kriselda, enjoy the 505
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Try this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the suggestions - sorry if I missed some obvious places to look - I'm just excited to start building my paperless collection, so I probably didn't look as thoroughly as I should have But I appreciate the resources and ideas!!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
thorswitch, don't apologize. Everyone here has something to learn. And also knowledge to help.

Enjoy your 505
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, formats, prs-505