Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
bargainofoz
bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura - Missing text for epubs

I have a Kobo Aura and have sideloaded a few novels but there is sometimes cut off or even text that's completely missing from the page that I would not have known about if I had I not played around with the font size.

Is there any way to fix missing text for epubs besides altering font size?

What I find is that when altering font size, I may be able to fix one section of missing text but then the next few pages there is another section of cut off text. It gets really frustrating to have to change the font to just read that missing sentence.
bargainofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How is the text disappearing? From the bottom of the screen or somewhere else? Is it all the books, or just some of them?

My first reaction is that it is a problem with those books. If it is only some of them, that is probably what is happening. If the non-working books all have the same source, they probably have the same formatting and errors.

Could you try an epub from the library here? These are usually well constructed epubs and will not have any errors.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
bargainofoz
bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How is the text disappearing? From the bottom of the screen or somewhere else? Is it all the books, or just some of them?

My first reaction is that it is a problem with those books. If it is only some of them, that is probably what is happening. If the non-working books all have the same source, they probably have the same formatting and errors.

Could you try an epub from the library here? These are usually well constructed epubs and will not have any errors.
The text cuts off or disappears at the bottom of the screen.
I've attached a couple of pictures of this happening.

http://imgur.com/inXZmIC
http://imgur.com/GSYTQ7T

I'll check out the epubs from here and see how that goes.

Last edited by bargainofoz; 09-26-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Massive pictures
Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You didn't happen to do a a search? Or add and remove an annotation? There is a bug in the 2.9.0 firmware that does something like what you are seeing after these actions. I wasn't sure if it was in the released version or not.

Does closing and opening the book again fix it?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
bargainofoz

Quote:
You didn't happen to do a a search? Or add and remove an annotation? There is a bug in the 2.9.0 firmware that does something like what you are seeing after these actions. I wasn't sure if it was in the released version or not.

Does closing and opening the book again fix it?

Closing and reopening the book doesn't seem to fix it.

I don't annotate when reading, but if you consider a search as highlighting a word to find the meaning through the dictionary, then yes I did that.

So if it really is a bug in the firmware, is there a way to 'undo' what I did?
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainofoz View Post
Closing and reopening the book doesn't seem to fix it.

I don't annotate when reading, but if you consider a search as highlighting a word to find the meaning through the dictionary, then yes I did that.

So if it really is a bug in the firmware, is there a way to 'undo' what I did?
If closing and reopening the book doesn't fix it, then it isn't the problem I am thinking of. And I don't think a dictionary lookup triggered the problem I am thinking of.

What font are you using? And what happens if you change to a different one?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
bargainofoz

Quote:
If closing and reopening the book doesn't fix it, then it isn't the problem I am thinking of. And I don't think a dictionary lookup triggered the problem I am thinking of.

What font are you using? And what happens if you change to a different one?
I use Caecilia mostly.

I've tried changing to all the default fonts the Aura comes with but have no luck there. Played around with font sizing, weight, sharpness...all of which doesn't seem to fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Apart from seeing if it happens with other books, or getting a copy of the book you are seeing it with, I can't think of anything to try.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
bargainofoz

Quote:
Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Apart from seeing if it happens with other books, or getting a copy of the book you are seeing it with, I can't think of anything to try.
Thanks anyways davidfor, I appreciate the help
Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainofoz View Post
The text cuts off or disappears at the bottom of the screen.
I've attached a couple of pictures of this happening.

http://imgur.com/inXZmIC
http://imgur.com/GSYTQ7T

I'll check out the epubs from here and see how that goes.
perhaps silly suggestion, but have you tried going forward a page then back? I sometimes get this on my Mini after invoking the menu (for searching a work or annotating on sideloaded Kepubs), and this solves the problem.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Happens on my Aura HD reasonably often (2.6.1) and my mini (2.8.1)and page back then forwards seems to fix it. It is sort of like the page skipping problem. I'm so used to it now, I just automatically page back and forward again when the next page does not seem to make sense. I doubt it is the book, because paging back and forwards doesn't change the book and shouldn't change the way the Kobo displays the page, but it does.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

A suggestion I missed earlier is the KoboTouchExtended driver in calubre. If you use this, it can send the books to the device as kepub. Kepubs are read with a different reader program. Odds are it won't show the same problem.