Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Galaxy Player

Seems that the new Galaxy Player has been finalized, according to Android Police
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's a pity that the screen resolution sucks. In general, PMPs (Galaxy Player and iPod touch) have poorer displays than their smartphone counterparts. They lack things like SAMOLED, Gorilla Glass, and IPS. Here are some comparative specs:

Players
  • Gal Play 5.8 -- 5.8" @ 960x540 = 190 ppi
  • Gal Play 5.0 -- 5.0" @ 800x480 = 187 ppi
  • Gal Play 4.0 -- 4.0" @ 800x480 = 233 ppi
  • iPod touch 4 -- 3.5" @ 960x640 = 326 ppi
Phones
  • Gal Note -- 5.3" @ 1280x800 = 285 ppi
  • Gal S III -- 4.8" @ 1280x720 = 306 ppi
  • iPhon 4S -- 3.5" @ 960x640 = 326 ppi
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Compromise to make them more affordable?
I was thinking of you my dear Simian friend when I encountered the post. In other posts you had been pining for this device, no?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Compromise to make them more affordable?
I was thinking of you my dear Simian friend when I encountered the post. In other posts you had been pining for this device, no?
Thanks

It's the Galaxy Note I want; but a WiFi only version. I want the full feature set of the Note and its superior screen. The 5" Galaxy Players take too much of a hit on their displays. The 4" models actually have good displays for viewing. Still, all of the Players lack SAMOLED, GG, and IPS.

I have a Galaxy Player 4.0 and I'm quite pleased with its display. I like it better than the so-called retina display on my iPod touch 4.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks

It's the Galaxy Note I want; but a WiFi only version. I want the full feature set of the Note and its superior screen. The 5" Galaxy Players take too much of a hit on their displays. The 4" models actually have good displays for viewing. Still, all of the Players lack SAMOLED, GG, and IPS.

I have a Galaxy Player 4.0 and I'm quite pleased with its display. I like it better than the so-called retina display on my iPod touch 4.
Hear, hear good buddy!
Smart monkey. Smart monkey.

Tear that other guy's face off.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Hear, hear good buddy!
Smart monkey. Smart monkey.

Tear that other guy's face off.
The retina bustin' monkey!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am waiting patiently for a handheld mobile "everything."

Damn it! It better be here by Christmas!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I am waiting patiently for a handheld mobile "everything."

Damn it! It better be here by Christmas!
There always will be some key ingredient missing --- that is how they get you to upgrade. If a device was using the latest and greatest for every single component and had all the latest desirable features people would only upgrade every 3-5 years. That would be the end of the tech world as we know it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There always will be some key ingredient missing --- that is how they get you to upgrade. If a device was using the latest and greatest for every single component and had all the latest desirable features people would only upgrade every 3-5 years. That would be the end of the tech world as we know it.
I will grant you all that Hans.

But I only want a few things.

I don't really care how fast it is and how videos play. I don't care how thin it is.
I don't want to pay for a cell service phone.
I do want some battery life, but I carry chargers (portable) now for that.
I want a really great screen, but IPS isn't necessary since it is usually me alone looking at it.
A bright vibrant screen, with 1024 to 1200 pixels on one axis is what I want on a 5 to 5 1/2 inch screen.
I want an SD card, and an all purpose USB2 port and it would be nice to have it full size too. (USB not SD)
I want self contained GPS and at this point in time Android. Maybe later a device that can run MS directly, but no hurry there because I know the costs will be high for some years. The Android MS Office look-a-likes are ok.
A stylus would be great, but with what I listed above, I can hook up a keyboard easily.

Samsung is so close with its Players and the prices are great, but there are things in the Note that are already here in the "present tense."

I am seriously thinking on trying to get a 1 or 2 year warranty on a used Note 1, when the Note 2s come out.

Now if I could get a used Note 1 really, really, really cheap I would chance a 3 month warranty.

The other thing you might have noticed is that I want a device that is paid for up front with no monthly charges.
My feature prepaid phone with a basic small keyboard is fine because probably in the last 2 or 3 years I have text-ed maybe a dozen or so times that whole time looking up addresses for a GPS. I have a few numbers I can text that will reply back with Google like results.
Even my Kindle will do that!

---- the above is for out of the aircraft ----
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

What I find interesting is that top of the line specs can be achieved on a 7" device for $199. So why can't it be done for 4" and 5" devices?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
What I find interesting is that top of the line specs can be achieved on a 7" device for $199. So why can't it be done for 4" and 5" devices?
Manufactures want you to buy more than one device.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
As I think they are making these devices from the left over parts of other devices they might have and so now want to use them
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Less material.
Smaller boxes.
Less shipping costs.

I think you are on to something.

Smart Monkey!!!

Have some banana ice cream.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Have some banana ice cream.
mmmmm... thanks