Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
samalex
samalex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which has the best PDF rendering, Nook or Kindle?

Hi,

I have LOTS of books in PDF format, many I've collected over the years, some technical manuals, some eBooks found free online, some bought. Given I'm an IT guy many of the books have charts, graphs, screenshots, etc, so which device would render these best?

Also while I'm asking, I assume both devices can read just plain ASCII files (.TXT), but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks --

Sam
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalex View Post
Hi,

I have LOTS of books in PDF format, many I've collected over the years, some technical manuals, some eBooks found free online, some bought. Given I'm an IT guy many of the books have charts, graphs, screenshots, etc, so which device would render these best?

Also while I'm asking, I assume both devices can read just plain ASCII files (.TXT), but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks --

Sam
For just plain text PDFs, they will both suffice and reflow the text. I always convert mine to epubs in Calibre though.

I think Kindle supports .txt, nook does not. Also, the new Kindle 3 is supposed to work really well with PDFs, although no 6 inch eink device is ideal for graphically intense documents. The new Kindle 3 can rotate the orientation to landscape mode, and can also zoom in and out of the document.

Overall, I think the new Kindle 3 is your best option.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert