Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
arwan
arwan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Barnes and Nobles ePub

Hi,
I'm going to buy a DR800, but I have a doubt about my choice. I read on an article that the new ebooks with DRM that Barnes & Nobles publish can be read only by Nook (they says they are not Adobe DRM). Someone can confirm/deny this? Have DR800 problems reading this kind of B&N ePubs? Does DR800 read only Adobe DRM ePubs?
Sorry if this information is already in this forum... I didn't find it :-(

Many thanks,

Arwan
arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have found that the books I download directly to the 800SG from B&N are in PDB format. I have taken B&N ePub files off my nook and placed them on my 800SG and they work fine.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
arwan
arwan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks.
Eventually, as I read your reply, I saw at the end of the page the links to correlated subject I was looking for...
arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I have not upgraded to the Beta 2.0 firmware. I am unable to open my copy of Eldest I downloaded from B&N that is DRM ePub. My copy of Under the Dome which I downloaded from them (and is in DRM PDB) works fine.

iRex claims it should work, but it doesn't for me. My guess is this is one of the many things they fixed in v2.0.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
iRex claims it should work, but it doesn't for me. My guess is this is one of the many things they fixed in v2.0.
Their March 2 blog announcement for the upcoming 2.0 software upgrade had this bullet point:
  • Barnes & Noble EPUB file support

I took that to mean that the current software can only access the PDB versions of ebooks at B&N, as direct downloads, which has indeed been my experience.

Side-loading B&N ePubs apparently works now, from what others say, but the problem is getting access to them without a Nook. And in knowing what kind you're going to get -- they don't list the format when you buy ("eReader" could be PDB or ePub, you never know).
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi. I'm sorely tempted to get the irex dr800sg. i dont live in the US so I have to figure out whether to order online and have it delivered to hotel, as I think I will be there in July. Or, to take a chance on a forwarding service with a street address, as the US sales tax anyway partly negates my shipping charges.
But as I'm unable to use the 3G from where I live, I will have to sideload b&N content into the reader. Can you authorise your b&n account via the usb/computer? Or is it the case that if you have a Nook (as I do) you just sideload the books from the Nook to Irex? (and both the epub b&n and pdb books will work?) Thanks much for advice
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6060 View Post
Hi. I'm sorely tempted to get the irex dr800sg. i dont live in the US so I have to figure out whether to order online and have it delivered to hotel, as I think I will be there in July. Or, to take a chance on a forwarding service with a street address, as the US sales tax anyway partly negates my shipping charges.
But as I'm unable to use the 3G from where I live, I will have to sideload b&N content into the reader. Can you authorise your b&n account via the usb/computer? Or is it the case that if you have a Nook (as I do) you just sideload the books from the Nook to Irex? (and both the epub b&n and pdb books will work?) Thanks much for advice
You'll need to enter your B&N credentials on the device, but then you can just sideload content.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote