Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
michaeltoye
michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis
New Oasis owner - couple of questions

Can i unset the turning on of the book when I open the cover? So I exclusively use the on button.

I have the brightness set at 3/4/5, quite low, and when I open the cover the brightness goes really bright until it establishes the brightness should be low, like a second. at night this is annoying. Is that normal?

Also, battery life wise, I charged the book (with cover) full when I received the kindle. I read without the cover and put the book back in the cover when done reading. I've read for about 7 or 8 hours and when I looked at my book this morning, the book was full battery but the cover was at 10%. Is this normal?

It's so much more comfortable to hold, these things won't change my mind but I think they could be better.
michaeltoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:54 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltoye View Post
Can i unset the turning on of the book when I open the cover? So I exclusively use the on button.

I have the brightness set at 3/4/5, quite low, and when I open the cover the brightness goes really bright until it establishes the brightness should be low, like a second. at night this is annoying. Is that normal?

Also, battery life wise, I charged the book (with cover) full when I received the kindle. I read without the cover and put the book back in the cover when done reading. I've read for about 7 or 8 hours and when I looked at my book this morning, the book was full battery but the cover was at 10%. Is this normal?

It's so much more comfortable to hold, these things won't change my mind but I think they could be better.
1) Remove the magnet from the lower right corner of the cover.
(For other models, the solution is getting a non-magnetic cover, hard to do for your model.)

2) Most likely that is "standard behavior".

3) Most likely "expected" since the cover works like any external re-charging battery pack.

Note:
I do not own that model, but I am pretty sure of my answers.

Last edited by knc1; 05-18-2017 at 02:57 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Was the cover and device both at 100% when you started? I have owned mine a year. If I were not to put the Oasis in the cover during long reading sessions, the cover can charge the Oasis back to full about 4 times I found. That has been my experience. Starting both ant 100%. Which makes sense since the device lasts me 5-7 hours if not put in until almost empty. When put together, that makes up the reading time they advertise. Times 4 that is.

So if you were at 100% on both, the cover shouldn't have been at 10% after recharging the Oasis just once. At least that wouldn't be my experience.

Don't know how new your Oasis is, maybe it needs some more charging cycles? I don't know about all that stuff.

The other thing is you mention that you have the light at 3 and when you open it, it flashes very bright. Mine does not do that. It flashes at the same light I have it set. Just to make double sure, I set it at 3 just now and went into a dark bathroom. Still does not go higher than 3 when I open the cover and there is no flashing. Just opens to the book. Only flash is the refresh, but that is black.

make sure you have the current software update on it. Just to make sure.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The user might also have their thumb over the light sensor when they open it.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The user might also have their thumb over the light sensor when they open it.
There is no light sensor on the Oasis. Only on the Voyage.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Mine does the flash thing usually. If there is a shorter period between reading sessions, then it won't flash, but a bit longer, and it will. I have not measured the time period. I think it has to do with sleep vs hibernation. The Oasis enters a hibernation-like state after a while and then if you open the cover, it will flash.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
There is no light sensor on the Oasis. Only on the Voyage.

Shari
Then there is no reason for it to flash, other than software error (Lab126 got the initialization dependencies wrong*) or hardware error (not working as intended).

* Which would be easy to do if they are using the same firmware build on both devices, the one device not having the sensor would be a little bit wrong 'wrong'.

Take a copy of the same version number firmware update file, open with KindleTool, mount on pc, see if the build ID is the same.
If it is, then the 'flash' question is answered.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Then there is no reason for it to flash, other than software error (Lab126 got the initialization dependencies wrong*) or hardware error (not working as intended).
The Oasis is supposed to flash while waking from hibernation. Atunah probably uses his/her Oasis so often that it never hibernates, only sleeps. That's why s/he never sees the flash.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis is supposed to flash while waking from hibernation. Atunah probably uses his/her Oasis so often that it never hibernates, only sleeps. That's why s/he never sees the flash.
Please post the log which shows both operations.
Once you are sure both have happened, use the:
;dm
command in the search bar -
there will be four documents created -
only interest here in the one with 'system' in its name.

Note:
The ;dm command sanitizes the log information that might otherwise contain device and user information.
So there will be nothing personal in that log file.

Just compress with zip and attach to a post somewhere here.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, that's precisely it. The Oasis can't tell what level the light used to be set at until it's awoken. The error, really, is that the default light level used when awakening should be rather low, 7 or 8 perhaps, so that it won't blind you if the light is out but you can still tell it's waking up (if the room is lit, you don't need the light to see that). Instead, it seems to be at 12 or thereabouts, 50% maximum, until it resumes far enough to tell what light level the user had set.

A bit more bad design from the chewing-gum software engineers at Amazon
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well, I just tested that deep sleep theory. I hadn't touched my Oasis in a few hours and went into the bathroom again. I opened it and it goes to the waking up screen. I do see that screen often also, I do tend to take longer breaks too you know. One has to work and eat sometimes.

Anywho, I didn't notice a flash. It went to the screensaver with the 'waking up' at the bottom, then it went to my book. I have my light at 10 currently and I didn't notice it going higher than the 10. My eyes are very light sensitive by the way and a flash with higher than that on the kindle would blind me for a while. I read at 8 with a side lamp at night. I can't even read in total darkness.

So I still didn't notice any flash. Other than the black back to white flash all kindles have. But not a higher light level flash.

How high is that light going when it flashes? 20? 24? All the way? that would be very noticeable. You say its 12 as default? Maybe that isn't high enough from the 10 I had to to see it? 10 is too bright for me in the dark, yikes.

I grabbed my husbands phone one time in bed when he was showing me something. I couldn't see for half an hour after that. It was like looking into the sun. Ouch.

All I know is that I didn't notice any different in light level waking it up from deeper sleep. It looked the same to me.

eta: I have to correct something, I had the light at 9, not 10 today. I just checked.

Last edited by Atunah; 05-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I have the light set at 9 too, almost all the time. Hard to say how high it goes while waking up, certainly not all the way up, but noticeably higher than 9. Not so much you'd call it blinding. But it's quite noticeable to me.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 AM   #13
michaeltoye
michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis
Thanks all for responding.

It appears the bright screen/'waking up' message is the un hibernation thing and I read on bright level 3-5, so even level 10+ will be bright for me.

I've charged my Oasis properly 100%/100% and am going to keep an eye on the battery. I've read 5 hours and the battery is around 90%/85%, so I think I was premature in my complaint.

Really enjoying the buttons too
michaeltoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It takes a few charge / discharge cycles to correctly calibrate the batter gauge. Incorrect readings are normal on a new device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I always read with the Oasis in the cover. Is there a benefit to taking it out if you otherwise find the Oasis with cover pretty comfortable to hold?
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote