Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
If I replace my logic board after water damage, can I clone my existing serial?

Copying to a new thread after this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285434

I'm wondering if my second wash of the device doesn't clear up whatever short or damage has occurred, I could by a replacement logic board from this site: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...5-p-95765.html

That replacement would have a new serial number, and whatever else registration related it has.

My worry is that some of those - even though it looks like a reputable site - might be reported as lost/stolen, and would not be able to register to my account.

I would imagine that the site would do a RMA in that case, but it would be nice if I could just tar or dd some folders on my existing device, and clone all of that onto the new one, but I don't know if that is feasible.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This is the device that will run for a few hours or a few days?
I am losing track of who's who here.

It's a PW-3 and it is jailbroken - Correct?

Give me some idea of what we have to work with on this device.

If so, do you have either USB networking or a serial port connection installed?
Do you have RP (Rescue Pack) installed?
Do you have the RP optional add-on, CRP (Coward's Rescue Pack) installed.

Anything else installed?

Last edited by knc1; 04-26-2017 at 08:06 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, thanks for your response. this is the one that lasts about 2-3 days, wether I'm using it or if its in suspend, it seems to be drainign at in-use rate, even though the logs show it going to suspend, thats why I think I need a new logic board too - although the drain could be in the touchscreen too, that seems less likely, but I can't be sure.

What I have now is a PW3 that is jailbroken.

I have installed only KUAL and Usbnet so far.

I don't have any experience wit the rescue packs, but I can learn.

Edit: - I could enable sshd at boot and remove the screen assembly, to see if anything in that is draining. But I dont know what kind of battery drain having sshd does, will it prevent suspend even if I'm not connected?

Last edited by coplate; 04-26-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What OS is your PC running?
Sorry, I forgot that one earlier.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have purchased replacement motherboards from PowerbookMedic for my Kindle Keyboards at least 3 times. All were easily registered with the new mb serial numbers. I assure you, PowerbookMedic does not traffic in parts from lost or stolen Kindles.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Copying to a new thread after this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285434

I'm wondering if my second wash of the device doesn't clear up whatever short or damage has occurred, I could by a replacement logic board from this site: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...5-p-95765.html

That replacement would have a new serial number, and whatever else registration related it has.

My worry is that some of those - even though it looks like a reputable site - might be reported as lost/stolen, and would not be able to register to my account.

I would imagine that the site would do a RMA in that case, but it would be nice if I could just tar or dd some folders on my existing device, and clone all of that onto the new one, but I don't know if that is feasible.
Did you remove the metal shields over the main parts so that you could wash under the parts?
(The underside of the parts is where the connections are.)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
coplate
Guru

@montalex thanks for the data point.

I just figured that if they get a device with a busted screen that's being parted out, they wouldn't be able to test them all, and someone might report it lost instead of de-registering it properly.

@knc1

My main computer is a Windows 10, with a Debian VM I used for the kindle hacks I wrote. I also have access to OSX, but none with a main regular linux partition.

I have not popped off the RF shields.

This second cleaning I gave them I soaked them and I had an agitator ( an old electric toothbrush ) that I used to vibrate the back of the motherboard where the RF shields are, to try to get a better cleaning under there.

I was not able to pop the shields off using my plastic spudgers, using a reasonable amount of force, and I was hesitant to go too much stronger.

I don't have a heat gun, and my soldering iron is garbage :-) .

If I get to the point where I'm actually ready to order a new board, I'll be more comfortable using more force to get them off.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Can you access the Kindle from the Linux VM?

The reason being, the backup directions are written for Linux, not for Windows.
And I haven't used Windows since Win95.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
coplate
Guru

@knc1

I know it can show up as a regular drive, when in that mode.

VMware should pass through any kind of USB device though, so I should be able to get to it in anyway.

If not, I know my OSX laptop has all the normal unix tools, but getting more specialized ones usually requires compiling from source.

I'm thinking about it maybe a little more clearly, and I found this section of the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...Hacking#Backup

Maybe I'm thinking the wrong way, but I expect the rough outline would be that I clone my whole device partitions with dd and restore them onto the new logic board?

I haven't read enough to properly but restoring the partitions is not entirely clear to me. I'm not sure how overwriting the whole filesystem might act while it is running, or if I would need to run in several steps between normal and diags?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
@knc1

I know it can show up as a regular drive, when in that mode.

VMware should pass through any kind of USB device though, so I should be able to get to it in anyway.

If not, I know my OSX laptop has all the normal unix tools, but getting more specialized ones usually requires compiling from source.

I'm thinking about it maybe a little more clearly, and I found this section of the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...Hacking#Backup

Maybe I'm thinking the wrong way, but I expect the rough outline would be that I clone my whole device partitions with dd and restore them onto the new logic board?

I haven't read enough to properly but restoring the partitions is not entirely clear to me. I'm not sure how overwriting the whole filesystem might act while it is running, or if I would need to run in several steps between normal and diags?
Those are the directions for older devices.

Yours will be very similar, but I wanted to work through it with you because most of what is there does not apply since Amazon went to complete image files.

But if we are going to use netcat (nc) - - -

Install USBnetworking on your Kindle, make sure you can connect to the ssh or telnet server (when you enable networking), over the USB cable.

From there (ssh preferred because it does not time out) we can copy out just what you need in case you have to recover your serial number for use in the new board.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
coplate
Guru

Well, I just finished trying to remove one of the RF shields, and it went poorly - I got too impatient.

Debating wether it is worth owning a hot air gun or not, it probably is - or I can just buy a new kindle for the same price :-)

One from Best Buy or similar would probably have the older firmware on it.

I wont try removing the rest of the shields without one though, but I do want to try to backup my device properly.

Usbnet looks like its all up and running properly.

I didnt find anything in the wiki specifically for newer than what I linked.

If I dont buy a new mobo for repair, I may also just live with the short battery life, and wait for the proposed new model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_194644.small.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	156403  

Last edited by coplate; 04-27-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

You don't need anything like what is described, although the method will be the same (if you can get a USBnetwork connection in the VM).

If you can't, we will do it another way.

The main hold-up here, is that I have to either find, or re-determine what offset into the eMMC device to copy.
(Which those directions do not include, they include everything except what you need.)

What you need to copy lies outside of the partitioned, file system, areas.

But I do have a PW-3, so I can work out the information (again) if I can't find it.

= = = =

I can no longer use the excuse that my desktop computer with the Kindle stuff on it has its storage arrays off-line.
I finally got that fixed a couple of weeks ago, all 3Tbyte is on-line (in duplicate).

= = = =

Amazon/Lab126 has only rarely varied the eMMC (flash storage) memory map.
But it is always possible that they might, without telling us about the change.

So I wrote a script to determine the location and size of the area(s) outside of the filesystem areas.

With less than an hour's worth of looking, I found it.
It is sitting on my PW-3.
Now that is one heck of a place for storing a script that determines the PW-3 memory map.

So if it rains tomorrow ......

Last edited by knc1; 04-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Found the previous work I had done on this subject.
Now just need a chance to finish it off.
But until I am rained out later today, must return to yard work (one of the joys of being a home owner).

I think I will turn it into a KUAL 'helper' menu entry.
Would make using it easier to explain.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #14
coplate
Guru

Thank you, I'll keep an eye out.

I found out that my library has a room with a hot air station, so I might try to go there to remove the RF shields.

Do you think I can I backup the whole mmc, and then pull the section I need out later so I don't have to worry about destroying it at the library.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Can you just hold off for a few days?

It is too late, by my local time, to try to think through writing directions.

If you missed it: the wiki directions do not include backing up the portion you need to back up.