Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can (maybe) see a false air of "legitimacy" being gained by emulating popular covers. A "This book looks a lot like these other ones I liked--maybe I'll give it a shot" kind of thing. But I just can't see a lot of readers being outright tricked into buying the wrong book.
I agree, and I think that that's exactly what Delphi are going for here: playing off Penguin Classics' reputation as perhaps the best-known range of classics in the English-language publishing world. A "we look like them so perhaps people will think we're just as good" thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Intent to deceive is a pretty hard thing to prove.
Especially when tradpub covers follow genre-specific memes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/1...-cover-cliches

Try these:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/bo...urrent-designs

Lazy cover art design is a thing.
So is spaceship covers in SF. Go looking and you'll find a dozen that look like Scalzi's, even without any attempt at deception or parody.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-28-2017 at 11:58 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You seem to be overly hung up on readers "mistaking" one book for another. Do you not believe most readers are at least as discerning as yourself when it comes to this sort of thing? Do you honestly believe that there are any relevant numbers of consumers who are being tricked by this this sort of thing?

I can (maybe) see a false air of "legitimacy" being gained by emulating popular covers. A "This book looks a lot like these other ones I liked--maybe I'll give it a shot" kind of thing. But I just can't see a lot of readers being outright tricked into buying the wrong book.
I have read some reviews where it was said that the book was bought by mistake. So yes, it happens because of the too similar nature of the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have read some reviews where it was said that the book was bought by mistake. So yes, it happens because of the too similar nature of the cover.
"In relevant numbers" was the question. I've read some "reviews" where lots of things were claimed. Doesn't mean I necessarily believe them. I have every reason to suspect that this particular brouhaha is a classic Tempest in a Teapot. Day/Tingle/Castalia House are looking for a some cheap publicity, and they're unfortunately getting it.

Has Scalzi publically chimed in on any of this yet? If I was a concerned Scalzi fan, that's who I'd probably take my cues from on this.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-28-2017 at 12:15 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Has Scalzi publically chimed in on any of this yet? If I was a concerned Scalzi fan, that's who I'd probably take my cues from on this.
From the comments where folks were discussing it on his blog...
Quote:
Folks, let’s not go on about Beale’s nonsense here, please.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems like reasonable advice.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #52
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Similar style, but very easy not to mistake one for the other.
I'm pretty sure that the one thing people who are buying books have in common is that they can read - not just look at the pretty picture on the front of a book. This is not an intelligence test anyone buying the Scalzi book should fail.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #53
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
"In relevant numbers" was the question. I've read some "reviews" where lots of things were claimed. Doesn't mean I necessarily believe them. I have every reason to suspect that this particular brouhaha is a classic Tempest in a Teapot. Day/Tingle/Castalia House are looking for a some cheap publicity, and they're unfortunately getting it.
Tingle?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #54
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the one thing people who are buying books have in common is that they can read - not just look at the pretty picture on the front of a book. This is not an intelligence test anyone buying the Scalzi book should fail.
Only if they themselves are buying the book.

What if the purchase is indirect? I.e. "When you go to *bookstore* please pick up the new Scalzi for me - "Collapsing Empire", here's a picture ".

How large does the potential group have to be until a significant number of wrong books are purchased? Unless it's written down, or the person has eidetic memory, they're only going to remember how the name sounds and the cover was blue with planets and ships and something about a ruined empire.

Yes, most sensible people will check twice. Someone in a hurry might not because they don't even imagine the possibility that there might be two similar books.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Tingle?
I saw a tweet with "Dr Chuck Tingle"'s name mentioned in conjunction with this. Just assumed he was involved (directly or indirectly) in the "experiment."
Old 03-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #56
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I saw a tweet with "Dr Chuck Tingle"'s name mentioned in conjunction with this. Just assumed he was involved (directly or indirectly) in the "experiment."
Hell no. You might want to go back and research the history between Beale and Tingle. Theirs is not a collegial relationship.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'd rather not (research Beale and/or Tingle's history), actually. It's much easier to say "My mistake," instead.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #58
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Only if they themselves are buying the book.

What if the purchase is indirect? I.e. "When you go to *bookstore* please pick up the new Scalzi for me - "Collapsing Empire", here's a picture ".

How large does the potential group have to be until a significant number of wrong books are purchased? Unless it's written down, or the person has eidetic memory, they're only going to remember how the name sounds and the cover was blue with planets and ships and something about a ruined empire.

Yes, most sensible people will check twice. Someone in a hurry might not because they don't even imagine the possibility that there might be two similar books.
Really stretching now, so if you were buying a book for someone, you would go off a vague memory of how it looked rather than the author and title?

Judging by your description they are far more likely to return with something by Asimov anyway, so that's a bonus.

The number of people getting this wrong must be close to the number of people trying to text on a Granny Smith's.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you go to the bookstore to buy a pBook, you are less likely to buy the wrong book than you would be buying the eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #60
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Every time someone posts in this thread, the man's name and the name of his publishing (out)house get pushed to the top of the forum and give him a nice little publicity boost, and I sigh.

Now I'm doing it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote