Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #151
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
From what I hear no one has broken the DRM on KFX. I've been told it can't be done.
I suppose someone could come up with a program that auto turns the pages in K4PC and OCR's the screen as it goes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #152
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
From what I hear no one has broken the DRM on KFX. I've been told it can't be done.
Yep. They said that about DVDs too.

Not worried.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #153
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I am becoming more and more confused about how exactly customers of ARe who have lost books, managed and read the books they bought from the site.

If a person had an account with ARe, and purchased from the website via their computer, the default option was to download one copy of the book in an available format. mostly ePub. That one ePub copy landed in their default download folder, and the person would then use a program of their choice to manage it along with their other books (in my case I use Calibre).

The ARe app became an option late in the site's life cycle. If someone at that point started to exclusively use the app then, yes, they have probably lost those books. But any books they downloaded and read before they started using the app should still be on their computers, since that used to be the only way to get them onto an eReader. In fact, anyone who wanted to read their ARe books on a device that wasn't a smartphone or a tablet with the app on (or their computer...), would have needed to follow the method I described, and then side-loaded the ePub files to their eReader using either Calibre or a similar software.

That user would only have been able to lose the ARe books they bought but never downloaded, or the books they bought and never transferred outside the site's exclusive app. If that's the majority of their library that is too bad, but now we're back at the point of the discussion where I politely suggest that person needs to educate themselves just a bit better on how file storage and back-ups work and how to use them.
They could have emailed directly from ARE to their kindle. I saw a few posts on FB asking if they were safe.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #154
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Whoever said that was mistaken. KFX is now implemented in a program running on a general purpose computer. With the software, the ebook files, and the key(s) all now on a general purpose computer, of course it can be broken.

It just hasn't been done yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #155
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Whoever said that was mistaken. KFX is now implemented in a program running on a general purpose computer. With the software, the ebook files, and the key(s) all now on a general purpose computer, of course it can be broken.

It just hasn't been done yet.
Great news!!!

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #156
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Great news!!!

Sent from my XT1528
Not so much. We're at the same point, as I doubt there's any algorithm which can be decrypted in any way. While there isn't any tool, the theory doesn't matter (look at LRX, it wasn't decrypted because nobody was interested in looking at it).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:03 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Exactly. We need new laws to protect our rights as a consumer.

From what I hear no one has broken the DRM on KFX. I've been told it can't be done. We may have reached the end once that is the only format. To say there is always a way is good optimism but we may reached a standstill in the future if things keeping going in this direction.

Sent from my Nexus 7
KFX cannot be the format. There are still people with devices that have older firmware that cannot read KFX. Also, What if I have an app n my phone or tablet that won't read KFX?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #158
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
(look at LRX, it wasn't decrypted because nobody was interested in looking at it).
I'm hoping that people will be interested in decrypting KFX.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #159
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm hoping that people will be interested in decrypting KFX.
Me too, but at this point it's only that: hope
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #160
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KFX cannot be the format. There are still people with devices that have older firmware that cannot read KFX. Also, What if I have an app n my phone or tablet that won't read KFX?
KFX cannot be the *only* format supported.
As you said, they still need to support older ereaders, like the K1 and K2.
(Not sure if K3 and K4 support KFX.)

As long as those are supported, Mobi7 will still be an option.

As for cracking KFX; well, they cracked Topaz and that was a real beast.
Interest in cracking a given format is directly proportional to its market prominence. As long as Amazon moves two thirds of the commercial ebooks in the mature markets there will be interest. The effort will follow.

As somebody or other said: Don't Panic.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #161
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(KFX cannot be the *only* format supported.
As you said, they still need to support older ereaders, like the K1 and K2.
(Not sure if K3 and K4 support KFX.)
Even once KFX is cracked, I will still prefer KF8 for archival since the content of that format is much closer to what the publisher provides to Amazon.

To me the Kindle models that support KF8, but not KFX are the best choice. Examples are the K3, K4 and PW1. With older models than these you will receive the inferior MOBI format and with newer devices you run the risk of Download-for-USB being changed to deliver KFX. I think that owning one of these is a safe bet for the next few years, given that Amazon hasn't yet dropped support for any of the older Kindle hardware.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-06-2017 at 08:50 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #162
nightcolors
Enthusiast
nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS700, T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani View Post
It's going to be heartbreaking for the readers or authors who've been on holiday and missed the last 4 days.

And unlike Elloras Cave or Torquere where they've been bad signs for a long time, this just came out of the blue - they had a groupon for ebucks just last weekend!

Byrdie - maybe you can contact the author on GoodReads or the publishing house with your receipt. Some authors and publishers are trying to make the readers whole at their cost

Definitely! I had no idea until I saw this thread today that ARe/OmniLit closed. I had some ebucks left there which are all gone now. At least I have all the books I bought from them downloaded. I really feel for the authors. All around, this is simply bad news...
nightcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #163
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Oddly, the All Romance shutdown made the front page (below the fold) of my local newspaper today.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...author/2310474
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote