Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #46
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
They are not open sourcing the Android part of chromebooks yet. Once they do all Android apps will run on all computers that can run chrome.
I think most of the limitations they have put in like not supporting older models etc is to slow down adoption next year at the IO they will probably open it.

Sent from my SM-G925I
I'm kind of surprised Google didn't go for the jugular by just making Android available on Chrome browser across all operating systems. That would have been huge. But Google seems to take things slow. I still can't believe they took so long to create an Echo competitor.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #47
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Google reveals which of the latest Chromebooks will get Android apps

Updated list of Chromebooks to support Android apps. My ASUS Chromebook C300SA is on the list - yay!

Article in The Verge April 26, 2017
Link

Spoiler:
Google originally unveiled its plans to support Android apps on Chromebooks nearly a year ago. While apps were supposed to arrive late last year for all users on at least 50 devices, the rollout has been slow and gradual for existing Chromebook devices. Only six devices are currently supported, but Google is now planning to support more than 80 devices.

The latest update to Google’s Chromebook list, spotted by Slash Gear, includes Samsung’s Chromebook Plus, Chromebook Pro, Chromebook 2, and Chromebook 3. While the majority of the more than 80 devices are listed as “planned,” it’s not clear when Google will actually start adding Android app support. Some devices, like the Asus Chromebook Flip C302 and Acer Chromebook R13, are listed as beta channel, suggesting that official support will be available soon on the stable channel.

Google’s Android apps for Chromebooks have been rather disappointing, with a number of bugs and issues on early devices like Samsung’s Chromebook Plus. Google is holding its I/O developer event next month, so we’re expecting to hear more on when it plans to truly deliver Android apps for all Chrome OS devices. Here's the full list of Chromebooks that are getting Android apps:

Acer

Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T)

Chromebook R13 (CB5-312T)

Chromebook 11 (C740)

Chromebook 11 (C730 / CB3-111 / C730E / CB3-131)

Chromebook 14 (CB3-431)

Chromebook 14 for Work (CB5-471)

Chromebook 15 (CB5-571 / C910)

Chromebook 15 (CB3-531)

Chromebook 15 (CB3-532)

Chromebook Spin 11 (R751T)

Chromebox CXI2

Chromebase 24

AOpen

Chromebox Mini

Chromebase Mini

Chromebox Commercial

Chromebase Commercial

Asus

Chromebook Flip C100PA

Chromebook Flip C302

Chromebit CS10

Chromebook C200

Chromebook C201PA

Chromebook C202SA

Chromebook C300

Chromebook C300SA / C301SA

Chromebook Flip C213

Chromebox CN62

Bobicus

Chromebook 11

CTL

J2 / J4 Chromebook

N6 Education Chromebook

J5 Convertible Chromebook

NL61 Chromebook

Dell

Chromebook 11 (3120)

Chromebook 11 (3180)

Chromebook 11 Convertible (3189)

Chromebook 13 (7310)

Chromebook 13 (3380)

eduGear

Chromebook R Series

Chromebook K Series

Chromebook M Series

CMT Chromebook

Edxis

Chromebook

Education Chromebook

Google

Chromebook Pixel (2015)

Haier

Chromebook 11

Chromebook 11e

Chromebook 11 G2

Chromebook 11 C

Hexa

Chromebook Pi

HiSense

Chromebook 11

Lava

Xolo Chromebook

HP

Chromebook 11 G3

Chromebook 11 G4 / G4 EE

Chromebook 11 G5

Chromebook 11 G5 EE

Chromebook 14 G4

Chromebook 13 G1

Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE

Lenovo

100S Chromebook

N20 / N20P Chromebook

N21 Chromebook

N22 Chromebook

N23 Chromebook

N23 Yoga Chromebook

N42 Chromebook

ThinkPad 11e Chromebook

ThinkPad 11e Yoga Chromebook

Thinkpad 11e Chromebook (Gen 3)

ThinkPad 11e Yoga Chromebook (Gen 3)

ThinkPad 11e Chromebook (Gen 4)

Thinkpad 11e Yoga Chromebook (Gen 4)

Thinkpad 13 Chromebook

ThinkCentre Chromebox

Medion

Chromebook Akoya S2013

Chromebook S2015

M&A

Chromebook

NComputing

Chromebook CX100

Nexian

Chromebook 11.6"

PCMerge

Chromebook PCM-116E

Chromebook PCM-116T-432B

Poin2

Chromebook 11

Samsung

Chromebook Plus

Chromebook Pro

Chromebook 2 11" - XE500C12

Chromebook 3

Sector 5

E1 Rugged Chromebook

Senkatel

C1101 Chromebook

Toshiba

Chromebook 2

Chromebook 2 (2015)

True IDC

Chromebook 11

Viglen

Chromebook 11

Chromebook 360
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Updated list of Chromebooks to support Android apps. My ASUS Chromebook C300SA is on the list - yay!

Article in The Verge April 26, 2017
Link
Not my old augmented (4BGB) 320GB HD Acer C710!

Are only touch screens affected?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #49
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Not my old augmented (4BGB) 320GB HD Acer C710!

Are only touch screens affected?

No, but I guess they decided our c710s aren't powerful enough to deliver the minimum user experience they want.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #50
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Setting up the chroot is reasonably quick, but I found that there was then a lot of periodic maintenance, which was the sort of thing I switched to the ChromeOS machines to get away from in the first place.

I did use my Ubuntu install a lot for a while, but gradually shifted back to keeping things easy.

It rather hammered home to me that I now prefer to live without the extended software capabilities in exchange for hassle-free computing.

Graham
To hammer in my agreement I will show off my French!

Exactement, précisément, justement, tout à fait, avec précision, véritablement,
trait pour trait, and au après!
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
To hammer in my agreement I will show off my French!

Exactement, précisément, justement, tout à fait, avec précision, véritablement,
trait pour trait, and au après!
Le wow!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #52
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Le wow!
Well, I should have said "et au après! instead of "and au après!" but in my best ole US of A "what the heck?"
Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I should have said "et au après! instead of "and au après!" but in my best ole US of A "what the heck?"
I wouldn't know the difference anyway. My French is somewhat limited and comes via some rather fragmented childhood lessons.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Well, I've made the switch back to Windows. My 3.5 year old Acer C720 is developing problems that aren't worth the expense to fix (new battery and power adapter). Battery life is a bit over 3 hours and the constant recharging has created a break in the wiring at the tip. Couple this with the lack of support for many book formats and it's clear that there's no reason to stick with Chrome. So, I'm retiring my C720.

When Black Friday rolls around, I'll get a new Windows laptop in the $100-$150 range.

Adios, Chrome
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #55
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Well, I've made the switch back to Windows. My 3.5 year old Acer C720 is developing problems that aren't worth the expense to fix (new battery and power adapter). Battery life is a bit over 3 hours and the constant recharging has created a break in the wiring at the tip. Couple this with the lack of support for many book formats and it's clear that there's no reason to stick with Chrome. So, I'm retiring my C720.

When Black Friday rolls around, I'll get a new Windows laptop in the $100-$150 range.

Adios, Chrome
Adios mi viejo amigo.

It's tough out here in the wilderness, blazing new trails, but I will keep trekking until something happens to my augmented 710. Indians, blizzards, gigantic lizards, machine failures or the like.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Adios, Chrome
You could get a new Cloudbook for just a little over that right now ($155-185). Imagine a Chromebook, but running full Windows 10. Celeron processor, 32 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM.

I was thinking of buying one when my Dell Netbook eventually dies.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Adios mi viejo amigo.

It's tough out here in the wilderness, blazing new trails, but I will keep trekking until something happens to my augmented 710. Indians, blizzards, gigantic lizards, machine failures or the like.
Thanks. You know, if Google would've supported more formats, I would've considered getting a new battery and charger.

Good luck in the Land of Chrome
Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You could get a new Cloudbook for just a little over that right now ($155-185). Imagine a Chromebook, but running full Windows 10. Celeron processor, 32 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM.

I was thinking of buying one when my Dell Netbook eventually dies.
Thanks, but I'll wait until Black Friday so I can get one for around $100. Besides, I already have a desktop version of a cloudbook. It's a Dell Inspiron Micro running Win 10, dual-core Celeron Bay Trail chip, 2GB RAM, and 32GB SSD.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #59
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Thanks. You know, if Google would've supported more formats, I would've considered getting a new battery and charger.

Good luck in the Land of Chrome
Thanks. Luck is needed. There we could indeed be called "stranger(s) in a strange land" but it is actually more like strangers in a hard land.

I have a workaround for getting downloads from google youtube, but nothing as yet to be able to print directly to a regular (non-wifi) printer.

The hardware which came with a 320GB HDD and that I augmented with a second 2GB of RAM is great. The battery life is only a few hours. I don't know if I have ever gotten 4 from it.

The machine is very convenient and never having to do upgrades is great!!!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #60
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Adios, Chrome
The battery is replaceable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgdBet2yNFU
Also a charging cord would not be very expensive I imagine.
Really like my Acer C720 and it is humming along nicely. You can easily enable legacy boot and boot into Linux on that model. GalliumOS could also be installed on it.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote