Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall our category be for December 2013?
Humor 8 27.59%
Science 10 34.48%
Short Stories 14 48.28%
Pulp Adventure 6 20.69%
Fantasy 9 31.03%
Philosophy 8 27.59%
Speculative Fiction 9 31.03%
Folk Tales 7 24.14%
Young Adult 8 27.59%
Stories with a Christmas theme 12 41.38%
21st Century 9 31.03%
Modern Fiction 8 27.59%
MobileRead Authors 5 17.24%
Biographies/Memoirs 10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
December 2013 *Category* Poll

The above poll contains your nominations for the December 2013 category. This visible poll is multiple choice and will be open for 4 days.

The story thus far:
Quote:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January: Second Chance (No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11 months.)
  • February Romance
  • March Travel/Adventure
  • April Classics
  • May Mystery/Thriller
  • June Award Winners
  • July Non-Fiction
  • August Science Fiction
  • September Banned or Challenged Books
  • October Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library)
  • November Foreign (Books originally written in a language other than English)
For reference and comparison purposes only, here are the 2012 Categories:
Spoiler:
  • January — RunnerUp (No nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months.)
  • February — Romance
  • March — Thriller/Suspense
  • May — Humour
  • May — Fantasy
  • June — Classic
  • July — Mystery/Crime
  • August — FreeForAll
  • September — NonFiction
  • October — Horror
  • November — Science Fiction
  • December — Classic

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
The title of this poll is: "What shall our category be for October 2013?"

Shouldn't it be December 2013 to match the title of the thread?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I missed that one. For some reason I was changing all the "Novembers" to "Octobers" instead of "Decembers" when I copied the text from the November thread. I've got October on my mind.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it that Stories with a Christmas theme is one of the categories? I thought this was going to be not allowed based on that fact that it's a religious category and therefore, not appropriate?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that Stories with a Christmas theme is one of the categories? I thought this was going to be not allowed based on that fact that it's a religious category and therefore, not appropriate?
It is explained in the nomination thread.

Personally, I don't think discussing books that are tangentially related to religion should be dis-allowed. I say tangentially because unless someone nominates the Books of Matthew and Luke chapters 1 and 2 most of the books that will be nominated (or at the very least selected) for this category will only be loosely related to religion. See A Christmas Carol or Die Hard.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It is explained in the nomination thread.

Personally, I don't think discussing books that are tangentially related to religion should be dis-allowed. I say tangentially because unless someone nominates the Books of Matthew and Luke chapters 1 and 2 most of the books that will be nominated (or at the very least selected) for this category will only be loosely related to religion. See A Christmas Carol or Die Hard.
The film Die Hard was based on the novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp. If "Stories with a Christmas theme" wins, I'll nominate it if no one else does, and I'll vote for it if it wins the nomination. For my money, nothing says Christmas like an office Christmas party that turns deadly. The lone New York City cop is surely symbolic of Santa, while the gang of international terrorists are like his misfit elves. Hilarity ensues when they mistakenly leave bombs behind instead of presents.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The film Die Hard was based on the novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp. If "Stories with a Christmas theme" wins, I'll nominate it if no one else does, and I'll vote for it if it wins the nomination. For my money, nothing says Christmas like an office Christmas party that turns deadly. The lone New York City cop is surely symbolic of Santa, while the gang of international terrorists are like his misfit elves. Hilarity ensues when they mistakenly leave bombs behind instead of presents.

I used that example since it was mentioned in the nomination thread as something that would be nominated (I think you would be the 3rd if we went in order, although since you put up the polls, you have the advantage). Like I said, if this category gets selected I highly doubt that an overtly religious book will be chosen.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Didn't I suggest thta one.

I'm really pulling for folktales and short stories.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
It definitely sounds like good Yuletide fun!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
LOL! Die Hard was first mentioned by HIMS, supported by me, and now Tom's on board. Guess that means we've got a guaranteed nom if the category wins.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I didn't know Die Hard was based on a book. Absolutely loved that movie. It does sound like an excellent pick to side-step any possibility of having a political correctness meltdown.

I would support it if it came to that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've neither seen the movie nor read the book.

I could support it if the ambience of Christmastime is there. But if there is only a single sentence mentioning a Christmas party with no further reference to the time of year, then I'd pass on it for that month's selection.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
There's also of course the masterpiece "A Winter Murder Mystery" by Agatha Chicken.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Short stories then. I didn't vote for it, but I guess it's the best month of the year to look at shorter fiction. December is the one month of the year where I only schedule 1 indie book review on my site in recognition that it's harder to commit to things that month.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just hope we don't end up with one of those anthologies of stories that belong to different series. I would prefer if the short stories stood on their own and not part of any series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote