Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
STAReBOOK is Cybook gen 3

Is it just me or are they the same device with different operating systems? Just a thought...
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is a very good chance that you are correct. We do not know yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
Well I am glad that I am not hallucinating, I feel like I have been reading forums all night! The pics look the same, except for branding and all the specs seem to be the same, except this device will support many formats and is in english. And if the speed tests are the same as I have seen with the Straereader then i think we will all be very happy! i guess i am going to have to wait till Christmas, and not buy the sony 505 that I saw today.
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone have a URL to this device so we can all see?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I would say, the CyBook is a customized StareReader. Not the same csing, but adapted to Bookeens needs.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I would say, the CyBook is a customized STAReBOOK. Not the same casing, but adapted to Bookeens needs.
But from what I just read, youdon't want one of these. The price is $450 US and you need to use their software to convert into this STK format. It sounds like the software on it is going to be it's downfall. I'd rather have the 505 or gen3 for sure.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But from what I just read, youdon't want one of these. The price is $450 US and you need to use their software to convert into this STK format. It sounds like the software on it is going to be it's downfall. I'd rather have the 505 or gen3 for sure.
I totally agree. Its just the same underlying hardware. But pricing and software of the Starebook are not any good.

I really liked the weight and the feeling of the starereader, and the Gen3 is the same. Just for a reasonable price and a MUCH better software.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

tribble, do you know if the Gen3 firmware can be flashed onto the STAReBOOK?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac

No, i dont.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
tribble, do you know if the Gen3 firmware can be flashed onto the STAReBOOK?
Now that could be interesting...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Well, i read somewhere, that CommanderROR is willing to make the test. He has got the StareReader and since nothing is happening there ...
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm waiting for the firwmare actually...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 10-31-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: NDA
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
Rechard
Rechard began at the beginning.

Starebook, Nuut, Bookeen Cybook all adopt PVI's this reference design

In order to promote the sales of eInk display, PVI provides a reference design and appearance, currently the Starebook, Nuut, Bookeen Cybook all adopt this reference design. PVI don’t have strong device and software strength, which cause the update is very slow.

Last edited by Rechard; 10-31-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Rechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
How does PVI influence software design???
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
How does PVI influence software design???
I would imagine they developed a SDK for their reference design.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote