Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
K3 and PC: pluging & ejecting

Hi and thanks for reading my post!

When I plug K3 into my PC, it starts charging and I cannot access K3 using its keyboard. Is there any way for it to keep charging while allowing me to use its keyboard and access files on K3? The displays says to eject the kindle from the OS (Windows 7 in my case) in order to browse the store etc. but when I do it I still cannot access K3. I have to physically unplug the USB cable connecting both PC and K3 to be able to use K3's keyboard again. Am I doing something wrong (well, I am sure I am, but I mean in this case ;-) ?

Thanks in advance for any kind help!

Best regards,

Pavel
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's "Eject" and there's "Safely Remove." Make sure you're "Ejecting."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying. I don't know what the difference might be, but I am definitely choosing "Eject Amazon Kindle".
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Same here Pavel, I have never been able to use my K3 using 'eject' whilst charging via my PC - this is the same for at least 2 PCs so not an issue with the computer (possibly the user!)
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Hmmm, I don't have windows 7, so I dunno if it's different.

But in Windows XP, you go to the Kindle in File Explorer (the same way you would look at your other files). And then right click on the Kindle in the drive list and pick "Eject". Always scares me because it's right under "Format". (Okay, I imagine Format asks before doing it, but still, odd placement).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Have you tried "eject", wait some seconds, and then "safely remove" ?
Does that change the situation ?

Edit: On Vista 64x myself, and I don't dare connect K3 to my company windows 7 laptop.
It will encrypt all USB drives if you're nor carefull. So I WONT test that ;-D

Last edited by pchrist7; 03-17-2011 at 05:26 AM.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I have the same problem with my DXG. Not a big deal, but weird. Using Windows 7 64-bit.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I found that if you remove it this way it does work:
Go to Computer
Right-click the drive letter that your Kindle has
Pick "Eject" from the menu.

If you do it any other way (including safely remove hardware from the system tray, near the clock) it will not do it properly. Same with picking the eject option in Calibre.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I found that if you remove it this way it does work:
Go to Computer
Right-click the drive letter that your Kindle has
Pick "Eject" from the menu.
That's the way you're supposed to do it.
"Safely remove hardware" from the system tray is not "Ejecting", so it's no real surprise that it doesn't work. I agree that "Eject" from Calibre does not have the desired effect.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
pavelh
Zealot

Thanks everyone for replying! I have tested it and it really works the way some of you have suggested: one must go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer, etc. just any incarnation of Explorer), RMB click on the Kindle as displayed among other drives and then select Eject from the pop-up menu. Kindle display goes to your home page or the latest book and the device probably keeps charging - at least if I am supposed to believe the orange/green LEDs at the bottom. Tested on Windows 7. Incidentally quite confusing here, because the RMB menu in the tray (next to the clock usually bottom right) really offers Ejecting Kindle. The similar menu under Windows XP offered to "Safely remove hardware" as far as I remember. If anyone knows the difference between the two options, it would be nice to know - just out of curiosity.

Best regards to everyone!

PH
Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'll leave explanation of the differences to others here, but I thought this information may be helpful to some. From http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...200505520&#usb:

Using Kindle While Charging Via USB

You can continue charging your Kindle via USB and still use it by unmounting or ejecting it to exit USB drive mode.
  • Windows Vista and 7: Click on the Start button, select "Computer" from the options, right-click on the Kindle drive icon and select "Eject" from the pop-up menu.
  • Windows XP: Right-click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the lower left-hand corner of the task bar and follow the on-screen instructions to remove Kindle.
  • Mac OS: Control-click on the Kindle device icon and choose "Eject."
Kindle will then exit USB drive mode and display the Home screen. You'll see a lightning bolt on the battery status icon that indicates your Kindle is still charging.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote