Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
I'm a new Sony Reader owner and am trying to get the lay of the land with respect to content. Apart from the stuff on the Connect website, it appears that other formats out there can be converted to LRF. However, the various threads I've tried to follow here either lead me to some website in Russian or to blithe remarks about writing my own code, running various scripts or otherwise highly non-plug-and-play activities. Is there a way to do this that is relatively straightforward to folks who just use software but don't create it? I bet the answer is here somewhere, but there is an awful lot of chatter to plow through. Can somebody provide an update? Thanks.
Let me start off by giving a quick rundown.

There are some really good tools available for the Sony Reader to make content for it in LRF format. Right now, the two big ones are Book Designer (BD) and html2lrf. Pielrf (IMHO) still needs some work at least for Windows. But it can get there and I think it will.

BD is hosted on a Russian website. The links to get it are available someplace on the forum. You need the base install and the upgrade for it. html2lrf is part of Libprs500 and used to convert html to LRF. Once you learn how to format your html, it's not too hard to use. It's not a GUI like BD.

That said, there are other tools for dealing with manga/comic book scans and PDF files. We'll leave those for the moment.

You can purchase books for the reader from the Connect store, but you'll find it limited at the moment. If you have a Windows based computer you can go to Google and search for Convert LIT 1.8 and you'll find it. Then you can purchase LIT format books and use CLIT to break the DRM or convert to HTML. Then you can load the DRMless LIT file into BD and edit from there or use html2lrf to deal with the HTML code. Your choice.

There is NO true plug and play solution (IMHO). Every program for creating LRF requires some sort of twiddling about. Even if it's just in BD fixing what it things are titles that really are not. These tools help make the reader much better then it ever would be if all we had was the Connect store.

I'm attaching the two files needed for BD. But remember, the 2nd file while current can change at any time and not be current. So watch the forum to find out when it changes and what the new link is for the update.

1. unzip the file BookDesigner40.zip
2. Right click on th .msi file from the ZIP and install
3. unzip the file Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip on top of the files in the c:\Program files\book designer\ directory and you have it updated.

Now go read the forum and you'll find directions in various places on how to do what you want using BD and html2lrf.

If you still have questions AFTER reading the Sony Reader foums in their entirety, feel free to ask.

Jon

In case anyone has any issues with BD 05/30/2007, here is BD 04/12/2007 just in case. But if you install this update, you can replace the file clit12a.exe with clit 1.8. Just copy clit 1.8 over clit12a.exe leaving the name the same.

It has come to my attention that the upgrade for 2007-07-30 is not complete. It relies on people having gone through the upgrade path.. 2007-04-12, 2007-05-30, and then 2007-07-30. So what I have done is combine all three upgrades into one. I started with the earliest and added the others to it in date order. So now the 2007-07-30 update should be complete. So you can now start with the installer and then use this to upgrade and you won't get the error message that you cannot make Sony books.

If there is a problem, please let me know.

Also please go grab the Book Cleaner files over at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookDesigner40.zip (8.69 MB, 25906 views)
File Type: zip Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip (6.03 MB, 28783 views)
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Links to all the historical test releases and the main install, and current full releases are also available in the Book Designer Wiki page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
BD and Vista (32-bit)?

I finally took a test drive with Book Designer on my office machine (running XP) and it seems to work just as advertised. I'm running Vista at home. Has anyone used the software on a Vista machine? My apologies if that has been discussed at length already. I couldn't find it poking around in the forums.

Last edited by rwsimon; 07-10-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
I finally took a test drive with Book Designer on my office machine (running XP) and it seems to work just as advertised. I'm running Vista at home. Has anyone used the software on a Vista machine? My apologies if that has been discussed at length already. I couldn't find it poking around in the forums.
The following is from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina
It could not work under the new operating system Windows vista. Problem consisted in the absence of libraries DHTML Editing Control for Applications Redistributable Package. For eliminating the problem download Microsoft file DhtmlEd.msi and will establish it.
Note you can download DhtmlEdmsi here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I am having a lot of trouble getting this to work. Every book I load into BD, it tells me it "can not transform to BookDesigner format". All my books are in rtf format. I saved one in htm format and got the same message. I was able to load one book after using the Fileconverter to convert to text. But, when I went to save the lrf, it told me "failed to make Sony Reader file".

What am I doing wrong? I am running BD 4 with the 5/30 update. I am using Vista and I installed the DhtmlEd.msi.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I am having a lot of trouble getting this to work. Every book I load into BD, it tells me it "can not transform to BookDesigner format". All my books are in rtf format. I saved one in htm format and got the same message. I was able to load one book after using the Fileconverter to convert to text. But, when I went to save the lrf, it told me "failed to make Sony Reader file".

What am I doing wrong? I am running BD 4 with the 5/30 update. I am using Vista and I installed the DhtmlEd.msi.
You need to have Microsoft Word installed as Book Designer uses it to convert RTF to HTML in order to load the file. It sounds like you might not have Word installed. Do you have Word installed?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Yes, Office 2007 Pro.
From the System Check button:
---------------------------
System Checking
MS Word version: 12.0

it is suitable

Languages installed

Cyrillic: True

Western Europe: True

Central Europe: True

System CP: 1252
OK

Last edited by edbro; 07-30-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, Office 2007 Pro.
I just figured it out maybe.... You're on Vista. Do you hav write access to Program Files? You might not given Vista's new security. Uninstall Book Designer and try installing it to a different directory other then Program Files. Book Designer does write to directories inside it's install directory.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just figured it out maybe.... You're on Vista. Do you hav write access to Program Files? You might not given Vista's new security. Uninstall Book Designer and try installing it to a different directory other then Program Files. Book Designer does write to directories inside it's install directory.
That was it! You are a genius. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That was it! You are a genius. Thank you.
Happy to help. Sometimes all it takes is someone else (in this case yourself) to say something the right way to get me to remember.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
AvidReader
AvidReader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Hi Jon.
I'm trying to install the same program and I can't get past the "class not registered. You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL" message.
I've installed the dll file in the windows/system folder and run the command line that gives me an affirmative, as well as the DhtmlEd.msi file, and still no go?
Any suggestions?
Thank you

Peter
AvidReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Bookdesigner doesn´t import pictures and tables. Is that a normal behaviour?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pictures are certainly supported in (at least) GIF, BMP, JPG and PNG formats. Make sure that the pictures are "local" to the document and not remote URLs.

By default, tables get stripped out. There's a check box on the "Settings" page (screwdriver icon) to control this. When you make the book, tables get converted to plain text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The problem is if I read PDF files and convert it to lrf the included pictures and tables are gone. With the options I have played around. Nothing has changed ..
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD uses an external tool to convert the PDF into (I think) HTML, and it's that tool which is not converting the pictures and tables; I'm not aware of any PDF converter which will give you the pictures. The best you can probably do is to add the pictures back in by hand after conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner