Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #106
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2D2 View Post
Can you please PM me your wbf file?
What happened to the ones you already had in /opt/eink/images/ ?
There should be a set of them in that directory (they might not have the wbf extension).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #107
H2D2
H2D2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G US 3.4.2 & PW4 5.11.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What happened to the ones you already had in /opt/eink/images/ ?
There should be a set of them in that directory (they might not have the wbf extension).
Thank you for your quick reply. I am just learning about Kindle 3g ( I broke my screen, replaced it and now have a problem with no pictures fully shown - grey shades are missing)

Let me see what you gave just said

Cannot find the directory (I am jailbroken with the latest version, running 3.3 on kindle 3g US)

Last edited by H2D2; 05-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.
H2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get the USBnetworking package for the K3 -
Read ALL of the directions -
Install it -
ssh (or putty if on windoze) into the K3 -
You now have the K3 command line interface in front of you.

Now look for the path:
/opt/eink/images
on the K3 (not on your pc).
Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #109
H2D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Get the USBnetworking package for the K3 -
Read ALL of the directions -
Install it -
ssh (or putty if on windoze) into the K3 -
You now have the K3 command line interface in front of you.

Now look for the path:
/opt/eink/images
on the K3 (not on your pc).
Thank you, now need to get it to work. Believe me, before I ask I read it all, somehow am turning too old to understand, hehehe
Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #110
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2D2 View Post
Thank you, now need to get it to work. Believe me, before I ask I read it all, somehow am turning too old to understand, hehehe
I am 72 so from this perspective, be careful as you approach 90.

Take your packages from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

The section titled: "Packages targeting the K2/DX/DXG/K3/K4"

Inside of the USBnetworking archive, you will find a file named:
USBNetwork/Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin

See the title?
If you have a K3 (which you do), use that one, not the one for the K4.

(in fact, the one for the K4 should not have installed since these packages are suppose to be model locked, but it has been a long time since anyone tested these old device packages.)

Last edited by knc1; 05-17-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #111
H2D2

Finally made it work .....

.... needed to install the latest jb and usbnetwork Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k3g_install (but not the one you told me to, another one from the very same forum)

... then followed this post and my screen displays everything perfectly !!!!

Last edited by H2D2; 05-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #112
knc1
Going Viral

What do you mean: "from the very same forum" ?

Are you trying to combine packages you get from Mobileread with those from another site?

or is that just a typo - you meant "from the very same thread" ?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #113
H2D2

From here

Same portal/forum, but different threads (link in the OP you directed me to)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #114
keleri
keleri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Just a tip for changing screens. You don't have to remove the battery (and thus lose the stored waveform) when changing screens. If you disconnect only the screen ribbon cable, and remove all black screws and only the silver screws around the perimeter (no need to remove battery, 3G module of the inner screws for the powered hinge contact), then you can lift out the motherboard and midboard together to change the screen. I just did it in less than 15 minutes, and the replacement screen (A Sony touch screen!) works and looks fine. No need to switch screens for a restart to store the waveform.
Big thanks to montalex, extremely easy to fix my kindle without losing the waveform.
keleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 AM   #115
rdk87
rdk87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hello,

Thanks for creating this thread - a lot of informative stuff here.

I have a slightly odd problem with my Kindle. I bought a new screen from China for my Kindle, installed it and the problem is that it displays parallel horizontal lines every few milimeters. The screen refreshes and displays the screensavers etc. but these lines are always there.

Here is an exmaple:

https://ibb.co/cSwrzT

do you think a hot swap with an old one will do the trick? Any other options?

Thanks!

Rdk
rdk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:42 AM   #116
katzurki
katzurki began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk87 View Post
do you think a hot swap with an old one will do the trick? Any other options?
Did you try the fix from post #99?

What do the diagnostic messages report?
katzurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #117
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Is there any place to find screen serial linked to Kindle serial number? I just had to switch motherboards and the screens I have won't display pictures. How can I find the right one? I don't even remember where this motherboard came from!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #118
rdk87
rdk87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzurki View Post
Did you try the fix from post #99?

What do the diagnostic messages report?
I tried to play with the waveform but there are no .wbf files on my Kindle:

[root@kindle eink_fb.0]# ls /var/local/eink/
usid
[root@kindle eink_fb.0]#

Moreover, the panel id seems to match the waveform version

[root@kindle eink_fb.0]# cat /sys/devices/platform/eink_fb.0/panel_id
220E_054_60_M24
[root@kindle eink_fb.0]# cat /proc/eink_fb/waveform_version
220E_E054_60_WJF501_D (M24, S/N 1453, 85Hz)

can someone PM me a wbf file so I can upload it to my Kindle and try to fix this?

Thanks
rdk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #119
Lucifericus
Lucifericus began at the beginning.

Hi guys! I replaced the motherboard of my book with a similar one. but I have a problem with the compatibility of the screens. The image is not clear, as described in this topic. there is also a problem with the fact that my, the whole screen does not have a microcircuit on the loop. Tell me, how can I solve the problem with a bad image in this case?
temporary solution with reboot does not suit me
Lucifericus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:41 AM   #120
readingforfun
readingforfun began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianli View Post
This is great, dpavlin! This is the best solution for waveform update. Much better than those that requires hot swapping of the flexible cable or reprogramming of the eeprom.

Basically /var/local/eink/isis.wbf is the default waveform you need for the kindle 3 to load if your eeprom is empty.

To make a complete list of steps, you need:
1. Jailbreak and install usbnetwork, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

2. Enable usbnetwork to automatically start when usb is connected, so you can quickly experiment with a few different waveforms. Check the readme of usbnetwork package.

3. When kindle started, connect usb to your computer and ssh to it. Link a pre-stored waveform from /opt/eink/images/ to /var/local/eink/isis.wbf, reboot and test.
ln -s /opt/eink/images/xxx.wbf /var/local/eink/isis.wbf

For me only the oldest wbf works, maybe my new panel is really an old model.
WOW!! haven't had a chance to get back to my old Kindle.. (bought a new one). And this worked perfectly!! I tried the first alphabetically wbf file (didn't look at date codes..)

Had this problem for years! Didn't know it was such a simple fix =). For some reason there was a loose screw in my kindle too =/ Couldn't figure out where it goes... so left it out.
readingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracked screen, eink, keyboard, update, waveform