Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #286
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I've been using calibre 9.1 and it works great. I have some shadows on the bot but it doesn't really bother me since it seems like it is part of the technology. I returned 4 ipads because of single dead/stuck/bright pixels.

I really like the matt finish compared to my old Sony T1 and the page turns are blazing fast.

I have the same rebooting error as other people with the SD cards but it seems like KOBO will be releasing an update soon.

I almost drove down to the states for a KPW but being able to use my epubs, having native supports for CBR and CBZ, and being expandable are all godsends.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #287
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
I've been using calibre 9.1 and it works great. I have some shadows on the bot but it doesn't really bother me since it seems like it is part of the technology. I returned 4 ipads because of single dead/stuck/bright pixels.

I really like the matt finish compared to my old Sony T1 and the page turns are blazing fast.

I have the same rebooting error as other people with the SD cards but it seems like KOBO will be releasing an update soon.

I almost drove down to the states for a KPW but being able to use my epubs, having native supports for CBR and CBZ, and being expandable are all godsends.
Not to mention having gotten a much better screen!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #288
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I would LOVE to own a Kobo but they don't measure up.
Customer support is always where everyone else comes off second best against Amazon.

In six months or sixteen months time if your e-reader develops some kind of problem, Amazon will win hands down on replacing or offering you a discount on a new one.

However, if Kobo have sorted out the firmware issues that hindered the Touch, considering Amazon seem to be having more problems with quality control for the Paperwhite than Kobo are having with the Glo*, you could reasonably argue that right now at least, Kobo have the edge if you take customer service out of the equation. And that is something special.

* Blotchy screens for Amazon, glowing spots for the Kobo - both have problems but even taking into consideration the probable far higher numbers of Kindles sold, I think it's fair to say Kobo have done a better job than Amazon.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #289
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
Found the post related to that, and management of those through Calibre. While far from ideal, it's far better.
Shelves run to the problem that when you hit a certain number (at a rough guess, less than 100), opening the Shelves takes way too long (6-8 seconds). So much for that idea. Of course, I can think of a few workarounds, but all that wouldn't be necessary if Kobo just implemented browsing through directories.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #290
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
... I think it's fair to say Kobo have done a better job than Amazon.
Well I think it's fair to say that none of them has made a good job.

Kobo: Glowing spots on the screen, fading fonts, double pageturns, reboot issues, bad customer service, no mobi
Amazon: Blotchy screens, same grey area at the bottom as the Kobo, no ePub

At the end of the day it all depends on your own preferences. I will buy a Kobo as well as a Kindle PW. If I am not happy with my Kobo it goes to my son, who is a real bookworm.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #291
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
Of course, I can think of a few workarounds, but all that wouldn't be necessary if Kobo just implemented browsing through directories.
I still shake my head and wonder why they don't.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #292
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I still shake my head and wonder why they don't.
Because the entire viewing / selection of books is based on the view from the database on the Kobo and not on the file system.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #293
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Well I think it's fair to say that none of them has made a good job.

Kobo: Glowing spots on the screen, fading fonts, double pageturns, reboot issues, bad customer service, no mobi
Amazon: Blotchy screens, same grey area at the bottom as the Kobo, no ePub

At the end of the day it all depends on your own preferences. I will buy a Kobo as well as a Kindle PW. If I am not happy with my Kobo it goes to my son, who is a real bookworm.
Fair enough, I don't for a minute think the Glo is perfect, and do think the number of complaints about the Paperwhite probably says as much about the numbers sold compared to the Glo as it does about poor quality control.

My only preference is to buy books from Amazon, the ereader I'm pretty neutral on, and for now at least, Kobo seems to be doing a bit better job of it. That might change in a few months time if there turns out to be firmware issues with the Glo and Amazon improve the QC of the Paperwhite....
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #294
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Because the entire viewing / selection of books is based on the view from the database on the Kobo and not on the file system.
Yes, that is what they do, however, nothing would prevent ALSO allowing browsing of the filesystem i.e. instead of going to the library, another menu choice could allow "browse filesystem". They could still look up the database based on the file selected if the user decided to read that book.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #295
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Managed to get to play with a Glo in WH Smith today, didn't notice a huge difference between it and the Touch in terms of opening books, page turns etc, but I was very impressed with how evenly lit the screen looked with the light on. What I didn't like was how grey the screen looked without it, comparing it to the screen on the Touch it was very noticeable.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #296
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
What I didn't like was how grey the screen looked without it, comparing it to the screen on the Touch it was very noticeable.
Really? I think the consensus was that the color of the screen without the light is very similar, with the Glo's screen being slightly whiter.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #297
Chantalz
Chantalz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, kobo Vox, iPad, iPhone using stanza,
Loving my glo. Feels like a touch but seems faster at turning pages.

The light is fine, works well...but I do prefer a blue screen with grey words like I have with my iPhone reading on stanza...so much easier to read in the dark that way. Kobo glo is best for slight dark rooms.

Most ppl will love the glo. Kindle is too proprietary for my tastes.
Chantalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #298
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Side by side with my Touch the Glo's screen unlit is a tad whiter. I love reading in a dark room with the Glo. Much easier than a backlit screen and I find the page turn much quicker on the Glo.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #299
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Really? I think the consensus was that the color of the screen without the light is very similar, with the Glo's screen being slightly whiter.
Definitely. I don't think the lighting in the shop did either of them any favours as both looked very grey. I'm not sure if the white casing doesn't help either, but the Glo definitely looked a shade darker. That apart, with the light on, it looks very good, and although I've yet to see a Paperwhite in the flesh, I know one definite plus for the Glo is that on/off button for the light.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #300
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
Hi,
What do you think of my Glo. There is a little yellowish color on the screen (upper right)
Do you think it's normal or should I ask for a replacement.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote