Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
is there a extreme fast refresh hack for the kindle touch

I just found out that the nook str and the sony prs t1 have a extreme fast refresh hack that makes scrolling and reading much faster and a breeze.I wonder if one such hack exists fir the kindle touch too.if not is there a half refresh hack for the kt.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
I just found out that the nook str and the sony prs t1 have a extreme fast refresh hack that makes scrolling and reading much faster and a breeze. I wonder if one such hack exists fir the kindle touch too.if not is there a half refresh hack for the kt.
It can be done, but I am not aware of a specific hack that supports what you want just yet. It requires drawing in pure black and white. To see just how fast it can go, check out my "geekmaster kindle video player" (while viewing the first "geekmaster signature video", and my "newtrix" demo. Those prove that you can do smooth animation (video and text) on the kindle eink displays. It is just a matter of replacing the eink driver to get that working on the desktop framework (like they did for the Nook Simple Touch to get it playing Angry Birds with smooth video).

The NST has the same eink display as the K5, so we can do smooth scrolling text and angry-birds-style games on the K5 too, with suitable eink driver replacements. Check out these videos for a sample of what we CAN do on the K5(touch):

We CAN do the same video as shown above on the kindles (and perhaps better with the dithering algorithms that I developed for the eink kindles), when *somebody* writes the necessary code to support it.

At this time, my code can support native mode text scrolling in such programs as hawhill's muPDF project (if and when it gets added). But built-in apps would need a replacement device driver and/or kernel.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 02:30 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think this is a fault on my part but I couldn't get gmplay to work.I put the files gmplay and gmplay.c in gmplay folde in extensions folder and clicked update launcher but there was no gmplay app on the launcher .Did I do something wrong or should I run it on xterm.if the answer is yes then what could should I type.I have only xterm because I couldn't get ssh/usb networking to work.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Does the kindle handle apks.if not is it possible to port the fast refresh activator apk of the nook str to the kindle touch.can we enable half refresh which makes page turning faster on the kindle touch.I have seen only one app which utilizes half refresh,hacked up reader.if it is possible in an app then why not in the native kindle os?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think this is a fault on my part but I couldn't get gmplay to work.I put the files gmplay and gmplay.c in gmplay folde in extensions folder and clicked update launcher but there was no gmplay app on the launcher .Did I do something wrong or should I run it on xterm.if the answer is yes then what could should I type.I have only xterm because I couldn't get ssh/usb networking to work.
Read the first post where you downloaded gmplay. You need to use the commands shown to run a video, and that video file must be on your kindle (when using those commands). You do NOT need gmplay.c (the source code) on your kindle to play videos. You should be able to play videos from xterm. There are reports that you can also play them from a launcher, if you configure the menus properly. You do not need to decompress the video .gz files first. You can decompress them and pipe them directly into gmplay as shown in the example commands.

There are plans to add sound support to gmplay when I get some time. The sample videos provided are all (mostly) silent films.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Does the kindle handle apks.if not is it possible to port the fast refresh activator apk of the nook str to the kindle touch.can we enable half refresh which makes page turning faster on the kindle touch.I have seen only one app which utilizes half refresh,hacked up reader.if it is possible in an app then why not in the native kindle os?
apk files are android packages. The eink kindles do not run android (yet) and cannot install apk files. You may be able to extract SOME files from an apk, but I think that the "fast refresh thing" included a replacement linux kernel with hacked eink drivers. It is POSSIBLE that the kindle eink drivers may be able to be configured to a pure black and white mode without needing a hack though. It would need some investigative exploration and experimentation to determine that. If a replacement kernel is needed, we can already load that from the USB drive using kexec (as documented in a thread you can find in the tools index).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch
That fast refresh scrolling looks amazing. We defenately need that on the kindle! Though I wonder how much it drains the battery...
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobim View Post
That fast refresh scrolling looks amazing. We defenately need that on the kindle! Though I wonder how much it drains the battery...
Extra power consumption only while moving, but drawing in pure black and white like that is faster and uses less energy than the flashing you see around the edges of text while drawing grayscale anti-aliasing. What does use energy is continuous eink redraws, such as while watching a movie using gmplay.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

is it possible to convert .apk to kindle compatible format as they both are linux based?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... No.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kindle Touch
i for one would love a hack like this!
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
BillyBigStuff
Enthusiast
BillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2
Hi All,
I believe I have found this already present in the kindle's pdf viewer.
If you open a PDF and pinch zoom and scroll around after zooming you will see that all of the page is drawn in black or white, and you can scroll around like you see in the video posted by geekmaster, albeit without the nice friction animations, or at least very close.
Would I be right in thinking this is the same sort of thing?
Bill
BillyBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBigStuff View Post
Hi All,
I believe I have found this already present in the kindle's pdf viewer.
If you open a PDF and pinch zoom and scroll around after zooming you will see that all of the page is drawn in black or white, and you can scroll around like you see in the video posted by geekmaster, albeit without the nice friction animations, or at least very close.
Would I be right in thinking this is the same sort of thing?
Bill
I have not seen that feature -- I will have to check it out. It might be specific to only some firmware versions. Great find!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
BillyBigStuff
Enthusiast
BillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have not seen that feature -- I will have to check it out. It might be specific to only some firmware versions. Great find!
I'm on 5.1.2 at the moment
BillyBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
It was already present in 5.1 when lab126 implemented advanced smid extension in kernel...
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote