Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #1
zisoft
Enthusiast
zisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolate

Device: Pocketbook HD Touch 3
[Device Plugin] PocketBook Improved Driver

Calibre Device Driver For PocketBook Devices

This is an improved device driver for PocketBook devices. I have developed it for my PocketBook Touch HD 3 but it will probably work with other PocketBook devices as well.
Please let me know if this driver works with your device and I will greatly appreciate to add it to the list of supported devices.

Improvements

Read Status
The PocketBook supports to mark a book as read. To synchronize this status with Calibre, create a user defined column of type Yes/No and set its lookup name in the driver settings.
This is a two-way sync, no matter where you mark a book as read (on the device or in Calibre), the read status is synchronized on both platforms.

Database Cleanup
The corresponding database entries on the device are not deleted when you delete a book on the device, leaving lots of abandoned database entries over time. Of course, theses entries doesn't hurt, but to keep the database in a clean and consistent state, a database cleanup is performed on every device connect.

Book Deletion
When deleting a book on the device not all of the corresponding database entries are deleted. Uploading the same book again leads to the effect that the book is not displayed in the library, making it impossible to open it again.

This is fixed in this device driver, deleting a book on the device from Calibre cleans up the database.

Metadata of PDF Files
The PocketBook does not handle the metadata of PDF files correctly, mainly the title and author fields are messed up. This device driver cleans the metadata fields on device connect.

Installation
Download the `pocketbook632.zip` file. Open Calibre, go to Preferences, Advanced, Plugins and choose Load Plugin from file. Choose the `pocketbook632.zip` file. Restart Calibre.

Configure the plugin
Set the lookup name of your custom Yes/No column in the plugin's configuration dialog (default is '#read')

This plugin is currently under active development. Please report any issues with the Github Bug Tracker.

GitHub

Version History
Spoiler:

Version 1.0.3 2022-08-28
Support of PB1040 devices.
Fixed a long delay on device connect.

Version 1.0.2 2022-04-10
Fixed a path delimiter bug

Version 1.0.1 2022-03-15
Update plugin metadata

Version 1.0.0 2022-03-11
Initial version

Upcoming features
  • Support for collections
  • Translations
Attached Files
File Type: zip pocketbook632.zip (17.2 KB, 29846 views)

Last edited by zisoft; 08-28-2022 at 10:48 AM.
zisoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:13 AM   #2
zisoft
Enthusiast
zisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolate

Test versions

(Placeholder)

Last edited by zisoft; 08-28-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Advert
Old 04-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
zisoft
Enthusiast

Version 1.0.2

Fixed a bug with path delimiter characters on Windows devices.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question

Hi,
and thank you for this useful plugin!

When connect my pb700 (the new Pocketbook Era) with your driver activated, calibre is blocked for "hours".
It says "analyse books" and is very slow doing this.
Is there anything I can do to bring the speed a bit up?
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
zisoft
Enthusiast

I don't have access to a pb700 device.
Any chance for you to start Calibre in debug mode and post the log here?
Advert
Old 08-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would you please put in the version history if this is Calibre 6 compatible or not?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:06 AM   #7
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zisoft View Post
I don't have access to a pb700 device.
Any chance for you to start Calibre in debug mode and post the log here?
here you are
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre_debug.txt (7.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:47 AM   #8
zisoft
Enthusiast

Quote:
DEBUG: 5.9 POCKETBOOK632: start sychronize_with_db
DEBUG: 5.9 POCKETBOOK632: read-column: #read
Did you create a userdefined Yes/No column with the lookup name "read"?
Old 08-15-2022, 12:43 PM   #9
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
Hello,
its working like Prince Charming with my Inkpad X!
Thank you very much!!!
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
the_Pan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zisoft View Post
Did you create a userdefined Yes/No column with the lookup name "read"?
Yes I did. That's one of the reasons why I use your plugin.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
the_Pan
Connoisseur

Just a short add-on:
It doesn't matter if I activate or deactivate the user defined column, the behaviour stays the same.
Maybe it's because of the pocketbook firmware?
I'm on 6.7.775.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #12
igorius
Zealot

I just have the same problem: I know it worked when i installed the driver, but due to other problem with calibre i uninstalled all plugins and reinstalled them again with configuring all by hand.
So now after about 2 weeks i wanted to sync my Inkpad X and didnt have any success.
Starting calibre in debug-mode i found out that your driver isnt used anymore!
I dont have any reference to pocketbook632 in the debug:
Code:
{'bsd_drives': {'main': '/dev/disk2'},
 'drives': {'main': '/Volumes/LILLIFEE'},
 'mount_map': {'//papi@rumo/Bücherei': '/Volumes/Bücherei',
               '//papi@rumo/Schrank': '/Volumes/Schrank',
               '//papi@rumo/Truhe': '/Volumes/Truhe',
               '//papi@rumo/itunes-dasi': '/Volumes/itunes-dasi',
               '/dev/disk1s1': '/System/Volumes/Data',
               '/dev/disk1s2': '/System/Volumes/Preboot',
               '/dev/disk1s4': '/System/Volumes/VM',
               '/dev/disk1s5s1': '/',
               '/dev/disk1s6': '/System/Volumes/Update',
               '/dev/disk2': '/Volumes/LILLIFEE',
               'devfs': '/dev',
               'map auto_home': '/System/Volumes/Data/home'}}
SaveVirtualLibrariesToColumnGUI device connected True
Shortcut for 'Interface Action: Annotations (Annotations) - Find annotations' already registered by Find annotations
Job: 0 Geräteinformationen abrufen started
DeviceJob: 0 Geräteinformationen abrufen done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 0 Geräteinformationen abrufen callback returned
Job: 1 Bibliotheksinformationen festlegen started
DeviceJob: 1 Bibliotheksinformationen festlegen done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Bibliotheksinformationen festlegen callback returned
Job: 2 Gerätebücherliste abrufen started
DEBUG:   15.7 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= POCKETBOOK740 oncard= None
DEBUG:   15.7 USBMS: dirs are: /Volumes/LILLIFEE/ books
Job: 0 Geräteinformationen abrufen finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
Job: 1 Bibliotheksinformationen festlegen finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
DEBUG:   17.7 USBMS: scan from root True /Volumes/LILLIFEE/
DEBUG:   18.0 USBMS: count found in cache: 6462, count of files in metadata: 6462, need_sync: False
DEBUG:   18.0 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG:   18.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= POCKETBOOK740 oncard= carda
DEBUG:   18.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= POCKETBOOK740 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 2 Gerätebücherliste abrufen done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 6462
Job: 2 Gerätebücherliste abrufen finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 5.241307020187378
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
READING LIST: Metadata available: {'main': {'device_store_uuid': '3dd98826-5d97-4054-a254-f3c222e134d7', 'device_name': 'PocketBook 632', 'location_code': 'main', 'last_library_uuid': None, 'calibre_version': '6.3.0', 'date_last_connected': '2022-08-18T18:10:24.557998+00:00', 'prefix': '/Volumes/LILLIFEE/'}}
READING LIST: Sync Now - force_sync= False
DeviceJob: 2 Gerätebücherliste abrufen callback returned
Job: 3 Metadaten zum Gerät senden started
DEBUG:   24.5 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Keine Details verfügbar.
DEBUG:   37.9 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 3 Metadaten zum Gerät senden done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 3 Metadaten zum Gerät senden callback returned
Job: 3 Metadaten zum Gerät senden finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
I tried deactivating the internal pocketbook-plugins: The Pocketbook701 driver is being used. When i deactivate this driver, no inkpad is being recognized.
Via gui i can setup the pocketbook "Gerät konfigurieren" doesnt have any entry for my #read.
I can configure the plugin directly in extensions -> #read is set.
Now i am gettig out of ideas... What has changed in the meanwhile on my system? What can i do to get it working again?
osx 11.6.x, calibre 6.x

Device-info got from my mac:

PocketBook1040:

Produkt-ID: 0x0001
Hersteller-ID: 0x18d1 (Google Inc.)
Version: 1.01
Seriennummer: 20080411
Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 480 MBit/s
Hersteller: Obreey

Standort-ID: 0x14300000 / 12
Verfügbare Stromstärke (mA): 500
Erforderliche Stromstärke (mA): 500
Zusätzlicher Betriebsstrom (mA): 0

Edit: I changed the vendor-ID in device.py, zipped the files again, installed and now it syncs.
After thinking around i remember that when i played a lot with howto upload the boos to my (new) PB, i noticed that after deleting books from PB and installing them newly, on the PB the reading-status was like before deleting my books. So it never worked before. I'm so sorry for saying "It works" in previous message #9.

The only thing what is strange after reinstalling the changed plugin:
Code:
DEBUG:   33.6 POCKETBOOK632:  ['Walter Isaacson']
DEBUG:   33.6 POCKETBOOK632:  Isaacson, Walter
DEBUG:   34.1 POCKETBOOK632: Title or author mismatch
DEBUG:   34.1 POCKETBOOK632:  Steinzeit-Technik Steinzeit-Technik
DEBUG:   34.1 POCKETBOOK632:  Steinzeit-Technik Steinzeit-Technik
DEBUG:   34.1 POCKETBOOK632:  ['John Plant']
DEBUG:   34.1 POCKETBOOK632:  Plant, John
DEBUG:   34.2 POCKETBOOK632: Title or author mismatch
DEBUG:   34.2 POCKETBOOK632:  Wärmepumpen ohne Vorkenntnisse Wärmepumpen ohne Vorkenntnisse
DEBUG:   34.2 POCKETBOOK632:  Wärmepumpen ohne Vorkenntnisse Wärmepumpen ohne Vorkenntnisse
DEBUG:   34.2 POCKETBOOK632:  ['Benjamin Spahic']
DEBUG:   34.2 POCKETBOOK632:  Spahic, Benjamin
Is it an error?

Last edited by igorius; 08-18-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added OS-info
Old 08-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #13
igorius
Zealot

Here i found an error with pdf-handling:
Code:
Device using plugboard pdf POCKETBOOK632 None
Setting metadata in: Ich lerne Segeln : Mit Fragenkatalog zum Segelgrundschein at: /var/folders/ks/vqsqkyls4xl00p586x0_59940000z8/C/calibre_6.3.0_tmp_air5bm5t/iw4myfuicaltmpfmt.pdf
Failed to set metadata for the PDF format of: Ich lerne Segeln : Mit Fragenkatalog zum Segelgrundschein
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/utils/podofo/__init__.py", line 36, in set_metadata
  File "calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 255, in fork_job
  File "calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 180, in run_job
  File "calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 119, in communicate
calibre.utils.ipc.simple_worker.WorkerError: Worker failed

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 454, in set_file_type_metadata
  File "calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 525, in set_metadata
  File "calibre/ebooks/metadata/pdf.py", line 185, in set_metadata
  File "calibre/utils/podofo/__init__.py", line 40, in set_metadata
Exception: Failed to set PDF metadata in (Ich lerne Segeln : Mit Fragenkatalog zum Segelgrundschein): Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 303, in main
  File "calibre/utils/podofo/__init__.py", line 97, in set_metadata_
podofo.Error: ePdfError_InvalidDataType
File: /private/var/folders/wj/cqy1nsyn4wn94d96btkldt0r0000gn/T/t/podofo-csbnzc9f/src/podofo/doc/PdfMemDocument.cpp Line: 263 Handler fixes issue #49
File: /private/var/folders/wj/cqy1nsyn4wn94d96btkldt0r0000gn/T/t/podofo-csbnzc9f/src/podofo/base/PdfParser.cpp Line: 272 Unable to load objects from file.
File: /private/var/folders/wj/cqy1nsyn4wn94d96btkldt0r0000gn/T/t/podofo-csbnzc9f/src/podofo/base/PdfTokenizer.cpp Line: 589
Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:27 AM   #14
zisoft
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorius View Post
…i noticed that after deleting books from PB and installing them newly, on the PB the reading-status was like before deleting my books.
The read status is two-way sync. No matter where you mark a book as read, it is synced both on the device and in Calibre. You cannot mark a book as unread (you already read it).

So to delete all read statuses you need to delete the read column from calibre too and recreate it.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:34 AM   #15
zisoft
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorius View Post
Edit: I changed the vendor-ID in device.py, zipped the files again, installed and now it syncs.
Good hint, I will make some changes and provide a test version.