Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Electronic book detractors

Do you see any common characteristics among people that don't like electronic books, are they generally of a certain age group, which gender (do men not like electronic books more then women), economic status, do they live in a certain part of the country, do they have internet access or not? Are there any characteristics that are common to any?

I would think that most would be from an older generation, simply becuase the older we get the more likely we are to like things the way they were not the new way. Some of us tend to get set in our ways.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm not sure electronic books are ubiquitous enough yet for their detractors to fit a set profile. It's kind of like asking for common characteristics among people who don't like sushi.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Do you see any common characteristics among people that don't like electronic books, are they generally of a certain age group, which gender (do men not like electronic books more then women), economic status, do they live in a certain part of the country, do they have internet access or not? Are there any characteristics that are common to any?
Yes. The most common characteristic of most detractors is that they have absolutely no experience with eBooks/eReaders.

I'm not saying that everyone who reads an ebook becomes an instant devotee, but usually, reading an ebook (on an appropriately sized, portable device) is enough to end their vocal detraction.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. The most common characteristic of most detractors is that they have absolutely no experience with eBooks/eReaders.

I'm not saying that everyone who reads an ebook becomes an instant devotee, but usually, reading an ebook (on an appropriately sized, portable device) is enough to end their vocal detraction.
+1 To this. Every opponent that I have spoken to has yet to try reading on a dedicated Reader.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

I would think that most would be from an older generation, simply becuase the older we get the more likely we are to like things the way they were not the new way. Some of us tend to get set in our ways.
Actually that is counter to the experience of many... older readers are more likely to appreciate eReaders once they have been demonstrated to them... try changing the font size on a paperback or reading with a magnifying glass, if you need to do this then eReaders sell themselves on demo...

Also it might be an idea to define your term "older generation" so that it doesn't so patronisingly ageist...

Last edited by elcreative; 09-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
+1 To this. Every opponent that I have spoken to has yet to try reading on a dedicated Reader.
I belong to a book swapping site, and have to say I've found this to be true. Those most opposed to ebooks, (scared that their supplies of used physical books will dry up with ebooks becoming more popular) tend to be people who've never used one and swear they never will.

Until they do, then come back to admit they've fallen in love with them.

Some don't, but then admit that they may have chosen the wrong machine to try out. Some think they may enjoy a tablet rather than an e-ink screen, and vice versa. They may not have cared for the experience, but then tend to admit they can see the draw.

And, of course, they'd have to be interested in reading anyway. My older relatives brush off the idea of ebooks. But then, they don't read anyway, so it's not something they think about at all.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

Read: http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/di...avior-studies/

and

http://floridaresearchgroup.wordpres...ereader-users/
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. I can say that I have some experiences with eBooks, because I have created eBooks (epub/mobi) of the html stories on my webpage. They are free and I thought that there might be some readers who would appreciate it, but I never got any responses. So I'm afraid, none of my readers has an eReader.
But I prefer printed books for myself. Maybe it's the mentality. I've tried eReaders in computer shops and in bookstores and for me it's always an electronic device and not a book. I also download free samples (MR/Smashwords/Projekt Gutenberg) sometimes and start to read them with Calibre Viewer, but the *feeling* is always: poor, and I skip them. It's not the same as a paper book.
So, for the statistics: male, aged, experienced (eBooks, not eReaders), dedicated paperback reader. And I don't like sushi.
Nonetheless: I like to follow the threads in the MR forums. They are very interesting and - sometimes - very amusing.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've never seen any common points held by people I've talked to that don't care for ebooks and ereaders. One will say they like the feel/smell of a physical book. Another will say they don't do enough reading anyways, and it'd be a waste of money to get an ereader. There's too many variables, I think, to really give any kind of definitive answer.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only real common one I've seen is no right of first sale. There are others, like "oh, I like the feel of a real book", but they stop talking about that when they start using ebooks. The only one that sticks, is how you cannot resell an ebook.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
I also download free samples (MR/Smashwords/Projekt Gutenberg) sometimes and start to read them with Calibre Viewer, but the *feeling* is always: poor, and I skip them.
Long time, dedicated ereader here... and I'd hate to have to read my books in the Calibre viewer too! That's not really a good test... even Amazon's cloud reader is far better than that.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The only real common one I've seen is no right of first sale. There are others, like "oh, I like the feel of a real book", but they stop talking about that when they start using ebooks. The only one that sticks, is how you cannot resell an ebook.
reply to that with, 'there's no need to resell an ebook because it takes up no space' (doesn't overflow your bookshelf space)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
But I prefer printed books for myself. Maybe it's the mentality. I've tried eReaders in computer shops and in bookstores and for me it's always an electronic device and not a book. I also download free samples (MR/Smashwords/Projekt Gutenberg) sometimes and start to read them with Calibre Viewer, but the *feeling* is always: poor, and I skip them. It's not the same as a paper book.

George
Correct me if I'm wrong George, but I believe I covered your particular demographic with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
A. It doesn't sound like you've actually sat down in a comfy chair and read a book on an eReader type device (calibre on a laptop doesn't count).
B. It doesn't seem like you're a very vocal detractor of the ebook format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
reply to that with, 'there's no need to resell an ebook because it takes up no space' (doesn't overflow your bookshelf space)
But if I am never going to read it again, why shouldn't I be able to sell it to recoup some of my costs?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Technically I'm a detractor of ebooks. I hate the attitude that you are "leasing" it and don't own it. I hate the DRM on most commercial books. I hate how you cannot resell them (even Smashwords non-DRM'd books have language saying you can't).

That said, I love e-ink screens, and I love the technology. I just hate what most corporations do with it.

I normally tell people that I love my e-reader, and as long as you strip the DRM or buy non-DRM books, it's awesome.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote