Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Would you buy an electronic book for under $2

Some of my pals are rather suspicious of a novel that is priced under $2 and think that new authors that price their work under $2 must be terrible writters. Personally I am constantly looking for new authors with the hopes of following that one author for his/her carreer and that price point is a cheap and easy way to find those new great authors. Would you buy a book priced under $2?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Over the last months I've purchased some low-priced books that turned out to be real jewells.
Examples: The Sentence of Marriage series by Shayne Parkinson (4 books, the first one free, the rest $1.99 each when I got them, now, $2.99 each). Boomerang, by Alan Hutchenson, is great and just $0.99.
The price of a book is not necessarily an indication of its quality.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would and I have. There are plenty of reasons why an author may choose to price their books at less than $2.

The following were $0.99 each:
False Refuge by Steve Anderson
Besserwisser by Steve Anderson
Trio of Horrors: Three Tales from the Holocaust
The War of the Worlds: Aftermath

I'm currently reading False Refuge. I've read and enjoyed all the others listed above. I have several more books in my collection that cost less than $2 but which I haven't read yet.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Yes! I rarely buy an ebook that costs more than $2. There are a good number of ebooks that are $1.99 or less, including free, that are excellent.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Sure, and I do it all the time when they're available and interesting.

Mind you, I mostly do it for published backlist authors whose works I've already read or who have a good reputation and I've been meaning to try out.

A totally new self-published indie author would have a bigger barrier to hurdle to convince me, but I wouldn't be averse to spending money on someone whom I turned out to find was a good and enjoyable author, even if their writing could maybe use a bit more polishing.

But in that case, usually I'd have to try a lot of free stories or a full free novel (even if it were only via time-limited promotion) before I'd be able to decide, simply because I'm averse to impulse spending even low amounts on a total unknown without at least the vague indication of some form of pre-publication vetting and more-or-less quality assurance that even a small-press imprint brings.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Only if I am familiar with the author already, or if the book is from a major publisher, or if it's a nonfiction niche book that covers some esoteric subject I'm interested in.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Over the last months I've purchased some low-priced books that turned out to be real jewells.
Examples: The Sentence of Marriage series by Shayne Parkinson (4 books, the first one free, the rest $1.99 each when I got them, now, $2.99 each). Boomerang, by Alan Hutchenson, is great and just $0.99.
The price of a book is not necessarily an indication of its quality.

I would, and I do. I, too, read Ms. Parkinson's series and it made me a fan for life. I've read some great books, novellas and short stories that were given away (not as a deal or coupon or sale, just plain ol' free) that I loved, and several in the "$2 or less" category.

I wouldn't write off a low-priced book as low-quality any more than I would assume McMoney's latest high-priced release must be high-quality. Yes, sometimes you do get what you pay for, but other times you get a whole lot more or a whole lot less than you pay for.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Yes. I've tried the $2 and under books. Some of them were quite good.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Yes, I've bought books for under $2, some of which were very good.

Also, as an author with 2 short stories on Kindle, I hope people will spend less than $2 on a Kindle purchase. I couldn't justify charging > $2 on a story at a time.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I don't think it's rational to have a prejudice against cheap books. But I'd never buy one just because it was cheap.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Like avantman42 I would and as many of the books I have were free at the time I purchased them I can say I have indeed bought books that were under $2.00 in cost. Just because a book is priced low doesn't mean it's not worth the electrons.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Absolutely.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #13
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Constantly.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
definitely if it fits into my interests
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Do remember from the seller's POV that -- even in the US -- Amazon takes a 65% or 70% sales commission on Kindle books listed with a cover price under $2.99. It's a major consideration if the remaining 30% must be shared out among various royalties holders, say author, editor, designer, artist. A DIY author might do well with even a 99 cents book, though. Amanda Hocking did well, for example. But she was running several titles and was tireless in promotion. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote