Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Any libraries in the UK that lend to ebook readers?

I 've been reading a lot about this on the u.s. side of things, but I 've not come across it in the uk? anyone for the heads up?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can do a search by Country/Region here...
http://search.overdrive.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
harryE123
Banned

thanks, I ll have a look. So overdrive is pretty much the de facto standard in the uk too?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Hmm I asked this same question on a sf forum the other day! There's Essex library which allows inter library lends apparently. I asked in my library-not yet! What's Overdrive?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
vaksam
vaksam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 - eventually...I hope!
Not sure where you are in the UK but Manchester libraries do.

Not the greatest selection of books but it's a start.
vaksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
harryE123
Banned

I found the Hampshire one which is close to where I am, and I am going to try it out.

May I ask what you guys mean by interlibrary loans or generally the availability of books? Should the same e-copies be available to every library in the UK? Or do some libraries for some reason only have a fraction of the e-catalog at overdrive?

Apparently overdrive is the system/platform of distribution of e-books and other e-material in the u.s. and several other countries. I wouldn't know technically how that came to be or what they bring to the table, as I've discovered their existence recently myself.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Essex library will let anybody join:

I've been able to borrow from my county library in Suffolk, and I know that Norfolk also have electronic books, but you need to live in the county to join.

http://http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip...ntentOid=15560 These are joining instructions for Essex with a link to the sign on process.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
harryE123
Banned

Rachel, the link won't work for some reason...

I suppose you can join more libraries than one, right?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How do you find out what libraries have the ability the loan ebooks?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
My borough seems to do ebooks.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Essex library will let anybody join:

I've been able to borrow from my county library in Suffolk, and I know that Norfolk also have electronic books, but you need to live in the county to join.

http://http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip...ntentOid=15560 These are joining instructions for Essex with a link to the sign on process.
The link doesn't work.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Hi Astra and HarryE123

The site seems to be down at present - it was up when I originally posted the link. Try it again later. I'll keep an eye on it and repost a link if it continues to be a problem.

You can join more than one library - I belong to Essex and Suffolk.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
There are about half a dozen in England in addition to some of the London boroughs. From what I remember when I looked yesterday there are none in Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Overdrive provides the infrastructure for publishers, retailers, libraries and schools to host and download audiobooks and ebooks. They have an e-warehouse with hundreds of thousands of titles for distribution. They can supply the digital files for a company's website or create one for you.
In fact WHSmith's ebook website is "powered" by Overdrive. Notice the leaving WHSmith dialog box when selecting ebook?
Waterstones receives ebooks from Overdrive.

Unfortunately, Macmillan and Simon & Schuster dont permit Overdrive to provide their titles to libraries for ebook digital download. Although they do allow their audiobooks.

It does seem reasonable to expect a big middleman to emerge. It's easier for retailers, libraries, etc to work with one entity rather than deal separately with thousands of publishers worldwide.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
harryE123
Banned

oh, I see, thanks for explaining that.