Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #211
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) This should work, if it isn't open a ticket and attach a cbr

2) The only options available are what you see in the Comic Input
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #212
spaldingclan
spaldingclan began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think it's better to just add a setting to comic input to specify an optional screen size to override the profile settings.
ok...can you do this?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #213
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

feel free to open a ticket requesting the feature
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #214
matthewsackmann
matthewsackmann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Thanks for the quick response.

Opened ticket #7836 re:cbr files not having covers.

On another note and for anyone:
When converting cbr and cbz files to epub for sony reader, do you use 256 color grayscale? Or is it okay to reduce it to 16? Since this is the number sony prs-950 supports and would reduce the file size?
matthewsackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #215
spaldingclan

yikes that site for submitting enhancements is not working...says I need to login (which i did) but never lets me submit one
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #216
spaldingclan

ok, nevermind...I jsut re-registered with a new username and it worked fine.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #217
mangoos
mangoos began at the beginning.

Device: Pan Digitail Novel
Hi,

First Thanks for such an excellent software. It is one of the best free software, I ever used.

I have a Pandigital Novel ereader/etab.it is 800x600 resolution, 7 inches screen.
It is not one of the best in the market , but in expensive and do what I need.
Now I am trying to convert comics in PDF format to ePub. The conversion wen nicely,but because of the screen size, the font (letters) look very small and have straining my eyes reading it. Is there any way to increass the font size during the conversion? Increasing the font size in the ereader does not work as i think the comices are in jpg/png format?. any other way to split single page into 2 pages?
Thanks in advance
mangoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #218
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

look under the comic input tab in the conversion settings.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #219
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
any way to make jpg-s into comics?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #220
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
any way to make jpg-s into comics?
A .cbz file is nothing more than a zip file of .jpgs. A .cbr file is a rar file of jpgs. A .cbc collection is a set of .cbz files with an index file. Yes, they're all easy to make.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #221
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
ok.. sounds easy.. which programs would you use? and any way to convert rar. files so they can be viewed on the sony reader?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #222
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
ok.. sounds easy.. which programs would you use? and any way to convert rar. files so they can be viewed on the sony reader?
I don't do alot of comics processing, so the few times I've done this, I've just used a zip compressor (WinZip) to make .zip files and renamed to .cbz files. Where I needed it I used a text editor to make the index, followed by WinZip again. The FAQ or user manual for Calibre describes the .cbc index format.

I've even used Acrobat to make pure jpg pdfs and converted those to EPUB. As long as there's nothing but images that seems to work fine.

I know nothing about the Sony. I use an IPAQ and it has a comics aware reader that will autosplit the frames of a comic and expand them to full screen, so you see each panel in large size instead of a full page of unreadably small text.

Last edited by Starson17; 12-23-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #223
detection
detection began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello everyone! I just got a Nook for Christmas and am still getting to know it. I'd like to load up The Walking Dead since it's black and white, it'll be great to read on my new buddy.

I tried converting the CBR/Zs to ePub with Calibre, but they're coming out stretched - horizontally (as in everyone looks a bit short and stout). I didn't see an option to keep aspect ratio, but I have seen it mentioned. Is this an option? Where is it located?

Also, I wouldn't mind suggestions on dealing with metadata for comics. I have each issue of The Walking Dead as an individual CBR/Z and I had all sorts of issues with metadata. I tried just titling them all the same and giving the issues series numbers... but it didn't seem to work...

I think this community is going to be a great help to me, so thank you guys!

EDIT: Okay, so I found that keep aspect ratio option. Working fine now. Still open to suggestions about metadata though!

EDIT2: Also, now all these issues of The Walking Dead are listed in my My Documents... putting them on a shelf, is there a way to condense them?

Last edited by detection; 12-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.
detection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #224
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
detection,

Comics, manga, magazines and almost anything else that has a constant title, but a variable issue number, date, or volume & chapter presents a problem for calibre's current file handling method.

Calibre only uses the information in the title field as a file's name (+extension), so it cannot use "The Walking Dead.cbr" for several issues. To get around this behavior you must include something to differentiate each issue's title. Making it possible for calibre to create appropriate file names out of the title.

So, to use your comic as an example, you could try using:
  • The Walking Dead 100
  • The Walking Dead Jan 2010
  • The Walking Dead 100 Jan 2010
  • The Walking Dead 2010-01 (this one sorts the best)

Personally I'm using the manga's volume and chapter info in a specific and consistent format. This way I can easily see what the real title is and what extra info I've included. Particularly when their are dozens of issues in the database. For instance, "title: subtitle - v001 c001-999" (everything in green is a variable, numbers use leading zeros to enforce correct numerical order).

One thing that I would recommend to any comic or manga collector - determine if you're going to deal with each issue/chapter individually or as a larger grouping (volume or whatever). What I mean is you can put a short summary in the description field, account for guest artists, provide individual covers, etc if you go per issue. But that is a lot of data entry. Or use volumes or groups of issues and lump things together - but at the cost of less fine detail.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #225
Rurik
Book Author
Rurik began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKColor x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by detection View Post
Hello everyone! I just got a Nook for Christmas and am still getting to know it. I'd like to load up The Walking Dead since it's black and white, it'll be great to read on my new buddy.
I'm curious what arrangement you're using to view comics? I'm using mine for the same purpose and ran across the scaling issue with The Walking Dead. At full screen, the text is too small to read (http://twitpic.com/3k8ma4). But when scaled up so that the text is readable, it chops off the bottom portion of the comic (http://twitpic.com/3k8ma1).
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, comic