Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-16-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Rant: Are Books Too Long?

This guy is arguing that many books are just way too long. To support his critique he mentions:

- Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time
- Tad Williams’ Otherland
- Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
- Rowland's Harry Potter
- Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle

These are all books I personally love! (Well except for Wheel of Time that I eventually stopped reading.) Is this guy insane? What about character development? What about the pure joy of knowing that there is just another novel building on top of a wonderful story? What is wrong about a long book if it is well written and not boring? Perhaps this guy should go back to Kindergarten and read Mickey Mouse books for a change.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
As I've been saying for a few years now... this new "Gimme Generation", a generation of people bred on "instant gratification", knows no bounds.

They want access to everything, within seconds, without any excuses. Pathetic.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
No way! I love long books. If they're enjoyable, I pour through them for hours, and only sleep and eat. A few years ago when I read the 4th Harry Potter, I read it in about 20 hours. Of course around 6 or 7 of that was sleeping.

I just couldn't put the damn thing down!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Are books too Long

If the book is a great one - then it cannot be too long. All the Harry Potter ones seem to finish too soon even the Order of the Phoenix! However even though Bill Clinton's Book is mainly interesting it definitely goes on fat too long. So I suppose it depends on how well the bookis written - IMHO Bill Clinton's book is not well written, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - but not written well enough to keep you enthralled.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
fiQQer
fiQQer than the rest
fiQQer began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
If the book is a great one - then it cannot be too long. All the Harry Potter ones seem to finish too soon even the Order of the Phoenix! However even though Bill Clinton's Book is mainly interesting it definitely goes on far too long. So I suppose it depends on how well the book is written - IMHO Bill Clinton's book is not well written, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - but not written well enough to keep you enthralled.
fiQQer
fiQQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, Virginia, books CAN be too long.

I've read a few books in the last few years that I honestly felt were padded with a lot of unneccessary character material that did not advance the story, nor make the characters or action more interesting or understandable. For this reason, I never finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series (got through Red Mars, skimmed Green Mars, lost interest 100 pages into Blue Mars. Sorry, Kim.), and I have a few other books that, once I finished, could barely remember what-all I'd read.

Obviously, you want detail, you want character development, you want background, you don't want any holes. But there is such a thing as too much exposition, too many character details or historical anecdotes, that do not advance the story. I may enjoy a Star Trek novel about Picard battling a Norsican, but I don't need to be interrupted by a half-chapter on how he first learned to pick out his favorite saddle and take care of it with Sythian leather balm.

Unless, of course, the balm reacts unfavorably with the Norsican's skin when Picard drops the saddle on his head...

Novels don't have to be long to be good. Brevity and concise writing can be as entertaining as exposition.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-09-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
Agree with hacker Chaos and Steve.

One can always subscribe to executive book synopsis services if reading is not enjoyable.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It's a definite skill that most writers don't utilize enough, knowing how to scale back on the stream-of-consciousness the call their "inspiration" and boil it down to only the necessary words in the correct order.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
...boil it down to only the necessary words in the correct order.
Careful there, Pride Of Lions, down that road lies ... (shudder) Hemmingway.

NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 AM   #10
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I've read a few books in the last few years that I honestly felt were padded with a lot of unneccessary character material that did not advance the story, nor make the characters or action more interesting or understandable.
I've noted the same thing ... First books on various computer topics began to reach 900-page levels without really having to, and then novels began to swell in the same manner. (Elizabeth George is rather too verbose for my taste, and Hamilton's 'Pandora's Star' I got kind of lost in somewhere in the middle and never cared to finish.) Elizabeth George knows how to write, though -- but some younger authors I suspect have not learnt the art of revising and cutting.

I've also put this down to publisher demand -- for some reason they find it simpler to sell voluminous books, and won't ask for literary liposuction. A bit like the insistence in Victorian times that all novels should come in three volumes -- or the libraries (or perhaps it was the customers) wouldn't even consider buying them. Looks like we're back at the 3-volume novel size, but all in one cover.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Quote:
These are all books I personally love! (Well except for Wheel of Time that I eventually stopped reading.)
Everyone I know, stopped reading the wheel of time. 11 books that are reminiscent of a grand master chess game. (Far too long and very little action).

Wheel should have concluded a few books back

Goodkind should also wrap up the Sword of truth series pretty soon as they have also been going just a touch too long.

on the other hand

Trudi Canavans books are all too short excellent writing style and content but I want to read more.

Robin Hobb seems to judge the length of her series to perfection.

In conclusion my post has gone on too long and no longer even holds my own interest so I shall quit before even making a valid point.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
When a piece of fiction is generally good, I don't mind a long text (on the contrary, I get sad when a book approaches its end).

But I do everything to avoid bloated non-fiction, including reference books. The more lengthy they are, the more wordy they tend to be, and the harder it becomes to absorb the essence of the content.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
NO! I think that the length of a book is dependent upon the story told. Whether a reader thinks a book is too long is dependent upon the skill of a storyteller. I read Kushiel's Dart when it first came out and was enthralled. That sucker was 900 pages long (?) but I didn't regret a moment spent with it.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
It's a definite skill that most writers don't utilize enough, knowing how to scale back on the stream-of-consciousness the call their "inspiration" and boil it down to only the necessary words in the correct order.
I thought that is partly what an editor is for?

I love long books as long as there is enough story to keep it going (see: the opposite of WoT).
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't remember which it was, but one publisher I contacted a year ago would only accept novels of "between 300,000 and 600,000 words." I thought that was simply outrageous. And as editors don't seem to be paring books down much, you have to believe publishers are selling books by the word.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote