Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
7tywan
7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch
New to Kobo

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum, since I'm very new to e-reading and Kobo Touch, which I own for more than a month now.

The device is fantastic and I enjoy it everyday and everynight, but there are some "issues" (not sure I can define them as such, therefore the quotation marks) I'd like to share.

First, I bought an epub from a local bookstore (I'm in Italy) and I found impossible to change the default font (Bodoni, I guess: pretty heavy...), probably embedded in the file. I could not even change the size of the font.

Any clue on how to deal with that?

The second thing is that I bought a second epub, again from the same store, this time I had no problems at all with the fonts, but the formatting was not even: some pages showed only 3 lines of text while others were completely empty, in general the paragraphs were not spaced evenly...strangely (or not?), when I uploaded the file to the android tablet I have, all this formatting problems disappeared when opening the file with Aldiko (one of the most downloaded e-reading app for Android) and the book rendered perfectly on the 9" screen of the device, making the reading experience much better than on the Kobo...

How can I get the same reading quality on the Kobo? Is it a reader (e.g. software) limitation?

Does it mean that the rendering engine (if I might call it this way) of Aldiko is better than the Kobo? Or what?

Thanks in advance for all your answers!
7tywan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hi - welcome to the Kobo forums! If that epub isn't DRM-infested, you can put it into Calibre, and do an epub-to-epub conversion with font stripping options checked: Conversion prefs > Look & Feel > Filter Style information. Check the Calibre subforum and/or manual if you need detailed help.

Choices vary, but I generally choose to strip most formatting out of the ebooks I buy - fonts, spacing between paragraphs (I add a small indent), margins, etc. I also set the minimum line height to 110%.

I'm not sure what's happening with the second epub - that's not something I've seen in properly formatted epubs. If it's in the public domain, you can post the book here and ask for help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
7tywan
7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.7tywan knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Hi - welcome to the Kobo forums!
Thanks!

Quote:
If that epub isn't DRM-infested, you can put it into Calibre, and do an epub-to-epub conversion with font stripping options checked
I'll give it a try!

Quote:
Choices vary, but I generally choose to strip most formatting out of the ebooks I buy - fonts, spacing between paragraphs (I add a small indent), margins, etc. I also set the minimum line height to 110%.
uhm...maybe taking out the paragraph spacing could help with the 2nd epub?

Quote:
If it's in the public domain, you can post the book here and ask for help.
It is not: it's the first book of the serie "Library of the Dead" by Glenn Cooper.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tywan View Post
Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum, since I'm very new to e-reading and Kobo Touch, which I own for more than a month now.

The device is fantastic and I enjoy it everyday and everynight, but there are some "issues" (not sure I can define them as such, therefore the quotation marks) I'd like to share.

First, I bought an epub from a local bookstore (I'm in Italy) and I found impossible to change the default font (Bodoni, I guess: pretty heavy...), probably embedded in the file. I could not even change the size of the font.

Any clue on how to deal with that?

The second thing is that I bought a second epub, again from the same store, this time I had no problems at all with the fonts, but the formatting was not even: some pages showed only 3 lines of text while others were completely empty, in general the paragraphs were not spaced evenly...strangely (or not?), when I uploaded the file to the android tablet I have, all this formatting problems disappeared when opening the file with Aldiko (one of the most downloaded e-reading app for Android) and the book rendered perfectly on the 9" screen of the device, making the reading experience much better than on the Kobo...

How can I get the same reading quality on the Kobo? Is it a reader (e.g. software) limitation?

Does it mean that the rendering engine (if I might call it this way) of Aldiko is better than the Kobo? Or what?

Thanks in advance for all your answers!
Hey noticed you made reference to Author Glenn Cooper. can you advise as to what kind of author he is and what genre he writes?

thanks

Welcome aboard.

Regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
7tywan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hey noticed you made reference to Author Glenn Cooper. can you advise as to what kind of author he is and what genre he writes?
well, this serie (3 books) is plotted around an FBI officer as main character, so I would place these books in the crime/mistery stream.
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tywan View Post
well, this serie (3 books) is plotted around an FBI officer as main character, so I would place these books in the crime/mistery stream.
Thanks I looked around and found all his books. And added them to my library.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
LH07
Enthusiast
LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet
Hi can someone advise how I add a bookmark on kobo app, when I first used the zpp you could choose from coloured bookmarks but now I can't find that option. Can anyone help please
LH07 is offline   Reply With Quote