Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Another which one should I buy question

Hi I had a Sony PRS 505 a few years ago and gave it away because I bought an ipad. I love reading on the ipad but I would like to have another e reader (less expensive than an ipad ) that I could take on horseback camping trips with me and not worry too much about it getting broken. here is what I am looking for in an e reader and maybe someone can help me choose the best one for me. I read mostly non drm ebooks but have occasionally bought books from Books On Board, Amazon, and the Kobo bookstore

e ink (so i can read it in bright sunshine)
supports epubs (most of my books are in this format but I have Calibre so I can convert if necessary)
easy to load books on through my computer
would like it to fit in a case or some sort of cover

I live in canada if that makes any difference.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
For camping trips one of the new lighted readers would be ideal, so I'd suggest you look at the Kobo Glo since you prefer the epub format.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
thank you I haven't heard of that one I will go check it out right now.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
You could also try eBay for a used Nook Glowlight. I've recently been able to pick up two, in perfect condition, with cases, for less than $100 shipped (each). Not a bad deal at all and I love this reader!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a Kobo Mini. Great screen, easy to use and small and light enough to go in any pocket. I have 5 ereaders and this is my favorite.

The Glo is probably even better, but I am resisting it so far as I love the fact that I can read as many characters per page as I can on the 6 inch readers with weaker reading glasses.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
From what I have read of your requirements you have not been picky enough. Do you want the biggest library of free books - Amazon. do you want to be able to walk into a store and get tech support - Nook (I believe they have stores north of the border). Do you want regular coupon codes to take a percentage off your purchases - Kobo (Amazon and Barns and Nobels don't typically discount their books as their regular price represents the best they can do). Have you comparison shopped between Amazon, B&N and Kobo Books?

These are the things that you need to consider in my humble opinion.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The fact that you're a Canadian is certainly a valid point. I live in Canada as well and I currently own a Nook. While it's a great device and I can sideload all my epubs without any issue, the official built-in marketplace doesn't allow purchases made without a US billing and shipping address.

The Kobo, however, is a very accessible device here in Canada. You can find it in many major retailers such as Future Shop, BestBuy, Indigo, and so forth. I will personally be switching for the Kindle Paperwhite as soon as it's made available in our country.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote