Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #31
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
It would but with older versions of the Kobo software (typically 2.4.x and before), with the new 2.5.x version, the custom dictionaries do not work anymore.
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #32
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Custom dictionaries were broken in 2.5.0 but are working again in 2.5.1.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
I have the new Kobo Aura HD. I can confirm that this method doesn't work for it. switching between dictionaries doesn't refresh the cache. Your only option is to revert back to the pre-installed dictionary which automatically downloads and installs itself over the wifi. My Aura is currently on firmware 2.5.1, so it seems they kept this device exempt from custom dictionaries.
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #34
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks and very timely too, as I was about to buy an Aura, but I won't now. Can anyone else confirm that custom dictionaries definitely do not work on the Aura with firmware 2.5.1?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I am a bit surprised that the Aura HD isn't doing this when the other devices with the same firmware level is. Have you tried powering off the Aura HD and seeing if it picks up the custom dictionary when it turns on?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #36
ShellShock
Wizard

On the Glo it is enough to just copy the custom dictionary onto the device for it to be used. Maybe the Aura is different? Or perhaps it is using the custom dictionary but it is not obvious? After all there is nothing to tell you immediately what dictionary is being used, you have to look up some words which are only in the custom dictionary, or do some other discriminatory test.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Because of how much of the firmware is shared between these devices, I am surprised that the custom dictionary didn't work on the Aura HD. The power off suggestion was to make sure everything was cleaned up and read anew. Occasionally, I see problems like this that are cleared by the reboot.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #38
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
Correction: powering on and off after switching the dicthtml.zip file DOES work. I was positive that I tried various methods last night, including the on and off one, but they yielded nothing. I must have overlooked something. Thank you to davidfor for suggesting it once more. I was able to successully load another webster's dictionary onto the aura. So, I wouldn't hold off purchase of an aura for lack of custom dictionaries. However, you should update the instructions ShellShock to point out that the Aura definitely won't refresh the dictionary cache while it is still powered on. Thanks all
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
ShellShock
Wizard

Well that is great news. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
ShellShock
Wizard

I have now got my Aura, and I can confirm that custom dictionaries do work, and I did not have to power cycle to get it to work. I just connected the computer (not Wifi), copied the dicthtml.zip over to the Aura, disconnected, brought up the dictionary and searched for a definition that I know is only in the custom dictionary, and viola! it found it no problem. So it seems to work in the same way as the Glo.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
yep same here, works fine from the get go.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #42
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have now got my Aura, and I can confirm that custom dictionaries do work, and I did not have to power cycle to get it to work. I just connected the computer (not Wifi), copied the dicthtml.zip over to the Aura, disconnected, brought up the dictionary and searched for a definition that I know is only in the custom dictionary, and viola! it found it no problem. So it seems to work in the same way as the Glo.
ShellShock you can have the keyboard to search in the personal dictionary ?
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe it depends on which dictionary you are searching; I seem to recall that some were only licensed for looking up of words in books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe it depends on which dictionary you are searching; I seem to recall that some were only licensed for looking up of words in books.
No matter what dictionary, since the 2.5.1 I have this bug on my glo, unable to get the keyboard for a search.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
ShellShock
Wizard

I get the keyboard just fine. From the bottom menu, choose the book icon and then Dictionary and Define word pops up with the keyboard. Works on custom dictionary too.