Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
killermiller
killermiller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Recommendation Ebook reader

Hello,

I search for a Ebook reader about 2 weeks. I read often Arabic books.

- The Ebook reader should support arabic language.

- The Ebook reader must have a touch Feature.

- It should be easily

- It must support PDF and epubs files

- faster page flip

Thanks in advance
killermiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
killermiller

There is no Ebook Reader expect my claims?
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
There is no Ebook Reader expect my claims?
Not completely sure about Arabic, but both the Sony T1-T2, Kobo Touch & Glo meet your other requirements. I believe you could add the fonts for Arabic, there are several threads in the Sony forums about adding special fonts including this one about Arabic...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=Sony+arabic
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
killermiller

But its only Sony T1 and how about Sony T2.
Are you sure that arabic fonts can be read on sony readers ?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I believe you could add the fonts for Arabic
Unfortunately for proper language support, you need a lot more than just a font; the reader also needs to know how to format things properly; right-to-left, word wrap, different word breaking rules, etc. There are tons of issues with foreign scripts unfortunately.

For example my reader can display Japanese fine but it doesn't know how to count works, so the entire book is like a single page to the reader and flipping through pages doesn't work reliable.

EPUB3 might have better language support (for example Japanese Harry Potter is only available in EPUB3 format) but ereaders still don't support it really.

The only option left to you in this case is: use PDF or image files.

You'll have more success finding a software for the PC that converts your text to PDF using the paper size, font, font size, and formatting you want/need, than an ereader that supports all the special needs for your language.

Good luck...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
killermiller

Thats mean. There is no Ebook reader thats display arabic correctly ??
Thats horrible. There is so much Ebook reader but not of them display arabic correctly !? I cant believe that.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
killermiller

Can you test the epub arabic file in your ebook readers and put a screenhot in the forum here ? I want see if displayed it correct
Attached Files
File Type: epub 6388.epub (136.0 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by killermiller; 09-16-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thats mean. There is no Ebook reader thats display arabic correctly ??
Thats horrible. There is so much Ebook reader but not of them display arabic correctly !? I cant believe that.
The Kindle supports Arabic properly, using its new-ish "KF8" file format.

Devices which use ADE, such as the Sony, do not currently support right-to-left languages such as Arabic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Mkh_85
Mkh_85 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I think that onyx boox m92 supports arabic
Mkh_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
You have a test here of the Onyx M92 for "arabic" : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157607, there is many videos on Youtube. You can search "jbaach M92" on Google. Jbaach has a blog, the URL is in the forum indicated.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Can you test the epub arabic file in your ebook readers and put a screenhot in the forum here ? I want see if displayed it correct
I've tested your file with my M92, only FBReader seems OK. The display of fonts is not good with PdfReader or Coolreader.
Sorry, I can't make a good picture with my phone.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Here are some pages from the sample on the Kindle app. This was the result of importing into Calibre and converting from ePub to AZW3 format. This looks fine to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	92653   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	92654  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Arabic on PocketBook 600

I have been able to read Arabic epubs on Pocketbook PB 600. Once you fiddle with the machine a bit, text looks very good, is indeed formatted right-to-left, with properly combining letters, etc. It does require some fiddling as I detail in the thread below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ariwa55&page=2

I have since upgraded to FW 2.1.2. Re Arabic issues, nothing has changed since what I explained in the thread I just mentioned.

I produce Arabic epubs by converting HTML files from the internet with the grabMyBooks add-on to Firefox. It works very well for the purpose.

PocketBook does have its problems (expensive, buggy software, etc.), so I do not know if I would recommend it. What annoys me is that they seem to pay no attention to bug reports in MobileRead Forums.

I have read through various threads, and I don't see any convincing evidence that any other e-reader handles Arabic any better than PocketBook. But I really don't know. I would like to try Onyx Boox, which does sound promising.

The problem is that the few people interested in reading Arabic epubs seem content to read on their iPads.

Another issue is how to edit Arabic epub files. Sigil displays Arabic fine, but it is nearly impossible to use. I guess this should be a separate thread in the epub section.

Last edited by qariwa55; 09-20-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: addition
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote