Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #241
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I haven't heard of that one. Is the narrator any good?

Not sure how good the narrator is, but I can tell you that he is highly prolific.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #242
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I really, really liked this book, and I only bought it because it was Elizabeth Moon, and then almost didn't bother to listen to it when I realized what it was about. But I was short of things to listen to right then, started it, and got totally involved and engaged. An excellent book. I don't know enough to know how accurate it is, but it was certainly highly believable and "felt right". And the story and characters were compelling, and the reader excellent. Highly recommended.
I have read somewhere that Elizabeth Moon has an autistic son, so I'd say she must know something about it first hand. I had already read the book, I got it from the library last year, but in German translation. I have been thinking about buying it in the original language ever since and was very happy to find it at Audible. The narration is very good, too.

Another book that you might like (if you don't have already read it) is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. In this case I preferred the book to the audiobook, though.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #243
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'd read the same thing wrt to Ms. Moon, and I'm sure that contributes to the verisimilitude of the story.

Meanwhile, finished listening to Princeps by L. E. Modisett, Jr., read by William Dufries. This is the middle book in the prequel series of the Imager Portfolio, so not recommended as the place to start. If you want to read the series, start with Imager, also available from Audible, and with the same reader.

This is one of those series (and I suspect simply one of those authors) that I would not enjoy reading in a traditional book, but that works well in an audio format. There are way too many passages about "the nameless" that are right up there with reading about paint drying. But when listening to them, they just sort of fade into the background and aren't as much of an issue. I enjoy the series as audio books, and in large part I suspect because of a good reader.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #244
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished reading Trading in Danger, by Elizabeth Moon, read by Cynthia Holloway. The book is excellent, a cross between TraderSF and MilSF, and very well written. However, the reader is pretty bad. I would rate her "barely adequate" (2 stars out of 5). She is slow, stilted, and doesn't do a good job of distinguishing voices, except sometimes adding in hokey accents. The reading does seem to get better by the end of the book, but that may just be that I was finally getting past it. IAC, I sincerely hope that she does a better job on the subsequent books in the series.
Moving on to Marque and Reprisal, the next book in the Vatta series by Elizabeth Moon. Same reader, but she does seem to have gotten better, or I've just gotten used to her. Still only a 3 out of 5, but that's a significant improvement on how I'd rated the reading of the first book in the series.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #245
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm listening to The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. The reader and book are quite good.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #246
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Moving on to Marque and Reprisal, the next book in the Vatta series by Elizabeth Moon. Same reader, but she does seem to have gotten better, or I've just gotten used to her. Still only a 3 out of 5, but that's a significant improvement on how I'd rated the reading of the first book in the series.
Finished. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The reader, Cynthia Holloway, will never be on my short list of preferred readers, not by a long shot. But she's become tolerable over the space of these first two books.

Next up, book three in the Vatta's War series - Engaging the Enemy.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #247
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those who might be interested, Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series has just been released on Audible. Two different readers, neither of whom I know, but both experienced readers.

The tough part for me is that I'm saving up Audible credits right now to be able to buy the full Liaden Universe series when it releases in September, so I have no spare credits to use on these.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #248
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
For those who might be interested, Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series has just been released on Audible. Two different readers, neither of whom I know, but both experienced readers.

The tough part for me is that I'm saving up Audible credits right now to be able to buy the full Liaden Universe series when it releases in September, so I have no spare credits to use on these.
Yep, I saw that. Wil Wheaton is a very good reader, I really liked his narration of Red Shirt. I haven't tried the other yet. I've put all 10 books into my wish list, along with a few of the Brust books that just came out as audiobooks, so all in all, a good week for audiobooks.

My normal method is to put books in my wishlist, then when I'm nearing the end of the book that I'm currently listening to, I grab a couple of books off the wish list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #249
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:

I am so tempted by this. I was loaned the separate books to read an loved it so much that I purchased the pbook omnibus of all 10 just to read it again. I've been wanting to reread it, but the book is just so big and heavy after getting use to ebooks. I may have to get the audible ones.

Right now, I am trying to decide what to listen to next.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #250
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I am so tempted by this. I was loaned the separate books to read an loved it so much that I purchased the pbook omnibus of all 10 just to read it again. I've been wanting to reread it, but the book is just so big and heavy after getting use to ebooks. I may have to get the audible ones.

Right now, I am trying to decide what to listen to next.
Well, there are some good options on Audible lately. Have you read the 1632 series? The first two, at least, are on Audible now, and very well read. Or these Amber books, which I would expect to be a pleasure. But in September, we get Liaden, and that is definitely my first priority. I've added Amber to my wish list on Audible, and as I get credits for free after the massive Liaden purchase, I'll likely go for these. But right now I have 5 credits saved on each of my two accounts, so adding in the one more for each in August, I'll have 12 credits total, just barely enough for Liaden, I think. (I have a US and a Canadian account on Audible. The US one being shared with my DW.)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #251
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Credits: 0

I spent all my saved up credits last month acquiring 4 books from my wishlist (plus I bought 2 others in the 'Paperback sale'). I feel naked without credits. Oh well, a new credit will show up next week.

Back on topic, recent listens include #3 and 4 of the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm in love with the narrator, her voice is soooooooo soothing. Plus the charming stories transport me to Botswana, a mini vacation with headphones. I also listened to a sci-fi classic, Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, very interesting perspective on an alien/human encounter. Before that there was Fool by Christopher Moore, a hilarious romp through Shakespeare's Lear et al. For variety I mixed in L.A. Requiem by Robert Crais, my first exposure to PI Elvis Cole. This was a well done thriller and I'll keep an eye out for more of these. I just finished listening to The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, a moving and beautiful story. Since I'd recommend all of these, it's been a great run of audiobooks for me so far this summer.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #252
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The reader, Cynthia Holloway, will never be on my short list of preferred readers, not by a long shot. But she's become tolerable over the space of these first two books.

Next up, book three in the Vatta's War series - Engaging the Enemy.
Finished Engaging the Enemy, moving on to Command Decision, number 4 in the series (there are 5 total). The reader has finally blended into the background. Still not a favourite, but I can ignore her. Though I _really_ wish she would us a more normal voice for Grace Vatta.

The story line continues, with the Vatta family starting to finally get its act together and move forward without a lot of interfamily wrangling. I'm enjoying the Mac Roberts character (no surprise) and that whole story arc.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #253
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
For the time being, I have started The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon, which features an autistic main character. I am enjoying it very much so far.
Finished it, loved it. I haven't tried any of Elizabeth Moon's fantasy yet, but if it is as good as this one, I should give it a try.

The narration of this book was as good as the story and the writing. It is set in a world where autism is cured at birth, but there are still some autistics who were born too early for it. Lou is one of them. He copes with life quite well, until someone starts stalking him and his boss wants to bully him into accepting an experimental cure for autism that was only tested on chimps. Highly recommended.

I have started listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman, narrated by George Guidall. Very different, kind of strange, but quite enjoyable so far.

Last edited by Marrella; 08-05-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #254
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I started in on Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, but found it too engaging for a bedtime story, so I'll probably be saving it as my cycling/transit/housework story when I get some new headphones (I can't seem to make a pair last more than a couple months).

For bedtime, I've gone back to where I started my audiobook routine: mediocre fantasy. I had ditched the Belgariad series in the middle of book two, but now I'm finding it rides the line between engaging and lulling quite well. It works just like the Shannara books, which started off my current audiobook habit a couple years ago.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #255
goldshirt9
Nameless Being

At the moment I'm re-listening to
Arthur Conan Doyle - The white company.
A Historical romp around France & Spain.
Apparently Doyle was more proud of this book that Sherlock Holmes.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations