Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Apple and library download questions....

So I now have a Macbook Pro (and don't even have access to my computer with ADE/ADB/Overdrive or anything to connect my NC....

What exactly do I need to download onto my new Macbook, so that I can grab the book (The Sentry - new Joe Pike) I just downloaded to my library account?

I'm a newbie to the Mac world.....and can't remember what I did on my old computer....

Thanks....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, The Joker. How exciting to have a new computer! You need to install Adobe Digital Editions for Mac. It's just like using ADE for PC. When you install the software make sure you use the same account for ADE that you were using on your PC. Then you need to connect your NC via USB to your new Macbook. ADE should recognize your NC and show it as a device. If I remember correctly, the first time that ADE recognized my NC it asked me if I wanted to authorize it. Say yes so then your Mackbook & NC are authorized to the same account.

You don't need the Overdrive Media Console on your Mac for library books. When you download the book from your library, an ACSM file will appear in a folder called "Downloads". Open the ACSM file with ADE and it will import the library EPUB/PDF into your ADE Library. Then you can transfer it to your NC. You only need Overdrive Media Console to download audiobooks.

When you purchase books from a non-BN source (such as Kobo, Borders, booksonboard), then the process is similar. Those websites will also download an ACSM file into your Downloads file that you open with ADE.

Hope that helps! Have fun playing with your new Macbook this weekend. I thought the book Switching to the Mac by David Pogue (part of the O'Reilly Missing Manual series) was pretty good for quickly learning the differences in the PC versus Mac environments.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
When you connect your Nook to the Mac and turn it on, the Nook will be mounted and appear on the Desktop (also your SD card, if present). I find it easier to just copy a book file by dragging it to an appropriate folder on the Nook, rather than using ADE.
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Thanks Bookworm_Girl.....I've tried that, so far no luck......Do I need to use ADB?

I was able to open the epub book on my Mac, but when I transfer the book to my NC, it won't open and say's I haven't even checked it out...

I'd rather just open the book (ascm file) with Aldiko, my choice for ereading, but it won't open on my NC in Aldiko either I think that's what Robert suggested below?

New to the Mac world....and it took long enough to figure out everything with my old dell and library downloads...

Any other words of wisdom.....

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't use ADB because I don't have a rooted NC so maybe there is something you need to do differently? For a non-rooted NC the process to get library books on your NC is the same for both PC and Mac.

Did you authorize your NC when it was connected to ADE?

Did you transfer the library book to your NC from within ADE? You can't drag and drop library books outside of ADE as suggested above. It needs to be done through ADE to apply the proper time/date expiration code. Any other DRM'ed book can be transferred by drag & drop outside of ADE or by calibre "send to device" or other methods. Library books are special.

Are you trying to read the book with the stock NC viewer or by a special reading app? Maybe you should post in the rooted section about how to read library books with Aldiko if that's your preferred method. Is your library associated with Overdrive as their source for books? I think perhaps some people also have the Overdrive Media Console app working on their rooted NC's too. But, it is a very basic viewer not nearly as nice as Aldiko.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
The Joker
Addict

OK thanks again......I guess I was dragging the epub file outside of ADE and it wasn't working. When I drag the book in my ADE account to my NC it seems I can now open the book using the standard NC reader. Haven't used ADE in a long time, I've been transfering the ascm file in and opening it with Aldiko for the past few books.

But, I like Aldiko as my ereader, haven't been able to transfer the file so I can open it in Aldiko.
Here's where I'm at with that.
I download the file from my library
drag the ascm file to my NC, same place I've done for all other library books
when I open the ascm file, it asks to "complete action using"
I select Aldiko
i then get an error stating "Import failed (E_Stream_error: Curl returned 6)

At least I've got the book and can open it in the standard reader now....so thanks...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
OK thanks again......I guess I was dragging the epub file outside of ADE and it wasn't working. When I drag the book in my ADE account to my NC it seems I can now open the book using the standard NC reader. Haven't used ADE in a long time, I've been transfering the ascm file in and opening it with Aldiko for the past few books.

But, I like Aldiko as my ereader, haven't been able to transfer the file so I can open it in Aldiko.
Here's where I'm at with that.
I download the file from my library
drag the ascm file to my NC, same place I've done for all other library books
when I open the ascm file, it asks to "complete action using"
I select Aldiko
i then get an error stating "Import failed (E_Stream_error: Curl returned 6)

At least I've got the book and can open it in the standard reader now....so thanks...
Sounds like it's Adobe ID and password related. Not sure why it wouldn't like the .ascme file if the credentials are the same. You could try re-entering that info in Aldiko (app menu).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote