Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #391
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
OK Steven thats beyond my abilities!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #392
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Looking through a few pages of this thread, I didn't see anyone discuss the non-rooted tablet. Being so cheap, is it essentially garbage? What are it's limitations if you don't root it? Very curious since I saw this at my local Rite-Aid the other day.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #393
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Lightbulb Try changing Wifi Router/AP channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasombrs View Post
Hope you get one that works. I got all three that the only store in a 40 mile radius of me had and all of them had this problem. CS was also useless for me, they kept telling me my router was not turned on.... while I was telling them I could find the router and it had excellent signal strength.... way to listen CS rep! Anyway. I had to return all 3 and finally had to just take my money back has they had no more to give me I was excited to own it too, to bad.
I think right after I returned my 2nd Craig due to the flaky wifi connection issue that I found some advice to try changing your wifi router to use a different channel among the 13 (or 15?) that they can use, to avoid conflicts with other routers/AP's in your neighborhood.

It helps greatly to run some wifi scanning software that shows other nearby networks, and which includes the channel info that the router/access point is broadcasting on. Wifi Analyzer is a nice Android app for that if you have another, working, Android device with wifi and market access (or sideload the APK from some other source).

If you are lucky, you can find an unused channel that you can set your router/AP to use (you need to know how to change your unit's wifi settings). If not so lucky, and there is contention for all channels (situation in apartment buildings I guess), then pick one that has fewest/weakest signals to see if that helps.

HTH, FWIW, YMMV
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #394
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Looking through a few pages of this thread, I didn't see anyone discuss the non-rooted tablet. Being so cheap, is it essentially garbage? What are it's limitations if you don't root it? Very curious since I saw this at my local Rite-Aid the other day.
Your biggest limitation, if you don't root it, is not being able to use the Android Market. That limits what software you can put on it, since you probably won't find all the applications you want as APK files in the wild.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #395
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also bought it.
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #396
MicDizzle2
MicDizzle2 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig Android Tablet,iPod Touch 2G
Checkout my unboxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stxt...e_gdata_player
MicDizzle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #397
ravven
ravven began at the beginning.

Device: craig android touch screen tablet cmp738b
hello everyone im new and i just got the craig/android wireless touch screen tablet.does anyone know if you can play mahjong game on it
ravven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #398
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravven View Post
hello everyone im new and i just got the craig/android wireless touch screen tablet.does anyone know if you can play mahjong game on it
I don't know if the SlideMe Market has a mahjong game, but I'm sure there's one in the Android Market if you root it.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #399
elogirl
elogirl began at the beginning.

Device: Craig CMP738b
Network Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Glad I could help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or if you have trouble w/ accessing the Android Market.
I need help removing my network info from my Craig CMP738b. I'm returning it to the store and don't want this info left in!

Thanks in advance!!
elogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #400
kemp6619
kemp6619 began at the beginning.

Device: craig 738b
I had to first charge my tablet to at least 55% before it would connect.
kemp6619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #401
kemp6619
kemp6619 began at the beginning.

Device: craig 738b
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasombrs View Post
I can't get my device to connect to wifi, even sitting next to my router when it says it has excellenct signal strength it says optaining ip address and then disconnects every time. This is my second unit as the first one i bought had dead bands of cells on the screen right out of the box. I was hoping its connectivity problem was because it was damaged. Any tips on how to get it to work?
Try charging it to at least 55%. That's how I got mine to work
kemp6619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #402
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
Arrow Rite-Aid 738b experiences -- not very happy

Rite Aid had Craig tablets and netbooks on sale of $88, and I couldn't resist. They'd sold out of netbooks; decided to have a look at the tablet. They let me charge the tablet enough in the store to see that it basically worked; it did.

Being a total novice to tablet computing, I explored it for a while, and decided to try the unlock pattern instead of a password. More later about that.

The screen resolution is apparently 135 px/inch on one axis, and maybe 145 px/inch on the other; the pixels are not quite square. I love the high resolution! Screen font is excellent; looks very nice, and is very readable.

First, peeking in via Security, it's plain that somebody has done a lot of work; somewhere, there's a list of what's allowed, and the details are impressive.

However, I found that when I made a Color Note, I couldn't put it where I wanted, and couldn't figure out how to transfer it to my main computer. There were numerous such frustrations.

I sorely missed right-click menus!

Hardware seems quite decent (I have photos of the innards). I opened it up, but the latches at the end opposite the buttons weren't meant to release, only engage, and I broke a delicate rectangular loop.

Once you remove the tiny screws, it would be nice to have a Mac case cracking tool (no longer used?). The back side of some table knives is a long wedge that you can slide. Once open, do be very careful! The screen subassembly is amazingly heavy (maybe so it won't warp, even a wee bit, and maybe just for ballast, so the complete device will give no competition whatsoever to the MacBook (Macbook?) Air.

The screen subassembly is only just held in place by latches molded into the black plastic bezel; it comes loose too easily. If you do open yours, for Heaven's sake, be very careful that the heavy screen subassembly doesn't stress the flat flexible cables! They are durable, but don't press your luck.
(There is no connector; cable is attached at both ends.)

Two flexible flat cables connect the screen to the main board; the narrow one is for the touch sensor, and the wide one is for the display. The display flex cable has a major, serious rearrangement of the connections between the main board and the electronics inside the screen subassembly. Perhaps they chose to use a different screen, and had that complicated transition instead of a major re-do of the main board layout. (Neither is cheap...)

Even with poor vision (mine's OK, if I don't sit in front of a CRT too much!),
it's really easy to see the Rockchip CPU. The circuit board looks quite decent; not junk. The small wireless board is separate, with an antenna pattern etched onto its circuit board.

The Li battery takes up about 60% or so of the total "footprint"; it's to the left, landscape, mechanical buttons to the right. The main board is maybe 1/3 of the total area.

With luck, the images will be placed where I expect them to go.

[Edit, after posting:
It was confoundedly difficult to review and post this. I couldn't find any link or text-area to post my personal introduction, but I might be over-tired. None of my photos appeared, and only a modest fraction of the text is here. I've saved the rest. I'm rather upset that I spent many hours composing (essentially) a good-sized article, and at no time was there any warning, that I could see, that it was too long! Apparently, about 3/4 of the message, and all the photos have been chopped off. I'm going to leave things as they are. I did save the whole text to a file in my machine, and the images are ready to upload again. I was going half crazy with the repeated requests to use the back arrow and reload; that did no good. I'm sorry, folks.]

Here's a view with the bezel (black plastic surround) removed, display just sitting on top of the rest:

The wee speaker (supertweeter size) is at the lower left. Along the bottom edge of the display, somewhat to the right of center, you can see the flex cable for the touch sensor.

===

Okay, next: Here's the whole tablet, reduced image. The underside of the display subassembly is plainly to the right; the pretty pattern looks something like galvanizing, a traditional zinc coating on steel that keeps it from rusting. The black part is a plastic insulating sheet so the metal plate doesn't contact the exposed complexity. The light metallic square with modest straight "wrinkles" is the Li battery; the blue, also. It's wide, and thin; typical.

If you feel the underside getting warm, that must be normal. However, it had better be the main board, not the Li battery! The three physical buttons are at the top in this photo.

The wireless board is small, at the left, just slightly more than halfway up.

It's easy to see the flat cables between the main board and the display subassembly. The touch sensor has only four connections, probably to each edge; all the smarts is in the electronics for it. Possible that it rapidly senses the [x] and [y] axes alternately.

===

Next image is most of the main board. I didn't reduce it, so that you can see lots of detail. (I hope Craig isn't too unhappy about this! nothing at all to be ashamed of.) No need to point out the Rockchip (which, btw, is apparently a Chinese CPU design (!), probably ARM-based.) The Analogix chip is a "low-power HDMI transmitter"; it must create the HDMI output (or am I confused?), and probably drives the tablet's own display.
<http://www.analogix.com/news/pr/2010_06_24.html>

The hynix chips (one "upside down") are 1 GB dynamic RAMs:
<http://www.ic-on-line.cn/search.php?part=h5ps1g63&stype=part>
Looks as though the 738b has 2 GB of dynamic RAM, although there might be more on the underside; I didn't remove the main board to see.

The big array of 10 copper pads with a label saying "H27A", I would guess, is for some sort of factory test; it might possibly be a port for last-ditch de-bricking when all else fails, but that's just a guess.

I don't know which chip[s] is/are the flash memory.

I cropped the full photo severely to try to stay below the 1.5 MB limit (quite reasonable), and backed off a tad on JPEG quality. I tried to leave the ports visible at the very bottom, so you could see what's inside.

===

A different crop of the same image ("w" suffix) shows the wireless transceiver; the sticky black cloth tape on the left covers wiring to keep it in place; it might also conceal something underneath, but I doubt that that's important. The odd square-cornered meandering trace at the right just about has to be the antenna.

===

The whole batch of electronics is in the next photo, much reduced. You can see the blue plastic sheet on the Li battery.

Last edited by nicabod; 12-07-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Too long, but, NO warning? Or, am I over-tired?
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #403
nicabod

I'm sorry, folks; being over-tired is no way to be kindly. It also skews one's judgement badly; this was awfully long (iirc, 16.5 kB.)

I'll try to come back in a day or two to see whether there are any more messages -- whether anybody wants to see the photos, or the rest of the message. (There are a few of the main circuit board (top side only!).
Actually, roughly half the text did get posted. Here's wishing you luck with your 738s!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #404
nicabod

BHartman36 really deserves lots of thanks, for helpful and prompt replies.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #405
Mistwolf
Mistwolf began at the beginning.

Device: craig touch tablet
problems

i don't know if it's me but i'm having problems connecting the tablet to the internet... And does anyone know if the craig touch tablet is flash compatable....and 1 more question...lol i have to be sitting in front of my router in order to get a decent signal..is it just me....

thanks for all the help

John
Mistwolf is offline   Reply With Quote