Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Dictionaries

Has anyone tried one of the addon dictionaries on their Android tablet? There are a some free and also paid dictionaries for Android. If you install one of these, can you select it as the default dictionary? Will the new dictionary be usable in Aldiko or other ebook reader?

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I don't know about aldiko's addon dictionary, since I use iReader and Laputa.

But if you want to use a good stand-alone dictionary app, then ColorDict is the best and free app. It has its own dictionary and thesaures. Second, it can read "StarDict" format. So I have added following free dictionaries downloaded from stardict website:

1. Merrium Webster Colligiate
2. Britannica.com's
3. Britannica concise
4. Drug reference (I study pharmacology in medical school)
5. Shahram's medical dictionary
6. and 2-3 others.

When you search a term, it shows definition from all dictionaries and you can set priority which dictionary is up in the line. Secondly, if you are on wifi or connected through a data plan to internet, wikipedia addon for it will also give entries from wikipedia and when clicked, opens whole wikipedia article.

Currently, I am working on Wikipedia's XML databases(6GB compressed, more than 14GB uncompressed) to be converted to Stardict format and also to static HTML. So I can move them to my 16GB SD card and browse the WHOLE ENGLISH WIKIPEDIA FASTER AND OFFLINE!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Thanks, but I know about using any of the dictionaries standalone. I'm only wanting to know if other dictionaries can be used from within ebook reader apps like Aldiko, Laputa, etc. Having to switch apps to look up a word is not what I want.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I'm only wanting to know if other dictionaries can be used from within ebook reader apps like Aldiko, Laputa, etc.
FBReaderJ supports ColorDict, Fora, FreeDictionary.Org, and SlovoEd German<->English
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Freeapp Moon+ reader supports inbook (sort of) dictionary lookup to ColorDict. But it will read epub, not mobi. What it does is, after you choose Define for the selected word in Moon+, the word will be automatically passed to Colordict which in turn will automatically open and lookup for the definition. You can then press back button to go back to the place in ebook where you left off.

Last edited by bthoven; 01-24-2011 at 04:19 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
atm74
atm74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
to: patilsaurabhr
will you please share the file of these dictionaries that you have. i have samsung galaxy ace android 2.2 froyo. is it a compatible device? thank you very much in advance. god bless your soul.

1. Merrium Webster Colligiate
2. Britannica.com's
3. Britannica concise
6. and 2-3 others.
atm74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm74 View Post
to: patilsaurabhr
will you please share the file of these dictionaries that you have. i have samsung galaxy ace android 2.2 froyo. is it a compatible device? thank you very much in advance. god bless your soul.

1. Merrium Webster Collegiate
2. Britannica.com's
3. Britannica concise
6. and 2-3 others.
Installing too many dictionaries slows down the app. So choose the ones you really want. Most of words can be found in "Wordnet" and "Merrium Webster Collegiate".
I have uploaded the ZIP file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h0i1j3f93pc1feh

1. Extract this zip file to any folder on your computer. Say, for example, the folder you extract to is "Dictionaries"
2. Copy all the folders that you see in "Dictionaries" to "dictdata" folder in your SD card. (If there is no such folder on SD card, just make one.)
3. Install ColorDict from market.
4. Start colordict. It will automatically detect all the dictionaries and Index them (make a catalogue of all words in all dictionaries). It will take a while.
5. Now when you search word, you can see the word described in all of those dictionaries.
6. You can also change sequence in which dictionary entries are shown.

If you want to have offline wikipedia, you can download WikiDroid. You can find more about that on www.wikidroyd.com
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Has anyone tried one of the addon dictionaries on their Android tablet? There are a some free and also paid dictionaries for Android. If you install one of these, can you select it as the default dictionary? Will the new dictionary be usable in Aldiko or other ebook reader?

Joe
Hi:

I'm using colordict with several dictionaries (webster, collins, collaborative, oxford learning, britannica concise and another "open" one that I cn't remember now). I have not seen an appreciable delay (Smartq V7, original ROM).

Coolreader works pretty well with color dict.

If you have memory problems instaling color dict dictionaries, instal fora and import fora's dictionaries.

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
atm74
atm74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very very very much. I can't thank you enough. It is such a big help. I've been looking for this for some time now and it is a relief to finally have one.

I hope this is not too much of an imposition. Do you know of an ebook reader that is similar to Mobipocket Reader in that it has Lookup, Highlights, Link, Add Note, etc.... You see, I've got books that are reviewer types and I'd like to answer them on the handset itself while reading. I was able to do this with my Palm Tx and I was expecting that Android Devices have one like this before I ditch my almost decade old PDA. I'm just asking for directions. The dictionaries was such a big thing.

Again, thank you very very very much. God bless you.
atm74 is offline   Reply With Quote