Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a look at Zelda's version of Three Men in a Boat. It does have text wrapping around irregular images. It looks very nice on a 6" screen. You could see how the code is done and also see if it works with iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Thanks, JSWolf. I've used Zelda's code from Three Men a number of times before. Three Men actually does not have any images like the ones I'm working with, where text needs to be blocked from flowing beside the upper portion of the image.

The code I'm using now is based on code by Jellby (Tom Sawyer epub) and Zelda.

AlexBell reports that the irregular images I've coded display as thumbnails using iBooks on iPad.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209230

I don't own an iPad, so I must wait patiently for someone with an iPad to report if the changes I made (post #15) work for them. (hint, hint)
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test-IrregularImage--REVISED.epub (96.8 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 04-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
iBooks still shows it as a thumbnail.
Marvin shows at about 50% of screen width and the text appears to wrap appropriately. However only the first line of text "overlays" the image while the next two lines just have a large right margin. (I will try and post the image if I can figure out how to do that from an iPad)

One thing I first noticed... The image with text overlay looks good in the normal viewing mode (black letters on white background) but starts to look really funky if you go to night mode or any other background color. Did you use a png/gif with transparent background?? I haven't played with that enough to know if transparency is even supported.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 04-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the image from ibooks. Sorry about the HUGE picture...haven't figured out how to reduce with ipad yet...lol

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Could you tell me please how you got that image from iBooks? I'm probably going to feel stupid for not being able work out how to do it, but I'll survive.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #21
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Turtle, thank you for the screenshots.

Ewwwwww! Crummy buttons! this is worse than I expected.

Yes, I'm using transparent pngs with alpha-channel transparency to underlay the actual image and force the text-wrap. The containing div is set at 60% width of screen, so Marvin seems to be showing that almost correctly anyway.

These work well in my Sony TS-1, and ADE on the pc. But I don't have a clue why iBooks shows the image as a thumbnail.

I had not thought about what happens for Night Mode. Brrrr. That is pretty awful, and the only thing I can think of is to use either a transparent gif or transparent png for the actual image (not the underlay), so that the "cutout" would be transparent. But then file size gets much bigger.

There are getting to be too many problems, even if some of them have hacks/workarounds to get them halfway working. I'm thinking it's probably best to simply crop and center these irregulars.

Thanks again for feedback.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd just forget about wrapping and consider all pictures as plain rectangular ones (without cropping). It's less "pretty", but more robust.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #23
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Jellby, I think you're right. It was fun to meet the challenge of doing these, as long as I had a shot at making them look good the majority of the time, but it seems there are too many variables, and far too many ways to fail!

Simple floats, sometimes, maybe; but the irregulars have worn out their welcome in my code bucket for now.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could you tell me please how you got that image from iBooks? I'm probably going to feel stupid for not being able work out how to do it, but I'll survive.
I just learned this myself...hit the power button and the "home" button at the same time...it takes a screenshot and saves in your pictures.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

If epub supports transparencies, then this should be doable....hmmmm something else for me to play around with.....AFTER I get may taxes done
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this have to work in iBooks? iBooks is a bit non-standard and doesn't always work as expected. You could make it a normal rectangle for iBooks and the way you want for others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I just learned this myself...hit the power button and the "home" button at the same time...it takes a screenshot and saves in your pictures.
Thanks, Dion
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote