Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Fire for Kids?

Can somebody give feedback on how 'kid' friendly the kindle fire is?

For instance...

Does it require your amazon password to buy books/movies/music/etc?

Can you restrict the streaming of 'prime' movies by rating? (R for example)

Thanks!
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hi.

If I had kids, I wouldn't let them venture into the Kindle Store alone. There are a lot of great picture and chapter books now, but there are a lot of really nasty comic books. Today I accidentally ran into one with not just swearing, but nudity.

There are no parental settings at this time sadly.

You can set it up so it asks for a PIN you can setup. But no, you cannot restrict the movies to only certain ratings.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
And this is just a suggestion, because I know a lot of parents are getting this for their kids at Christmas... Pre-load the device. Buy like $25-50 worth of games/books/tv shows and have it in the "Cloud". It not only makes the Fire more inviting, but it'll keep them busy for at least a month while Amazon works on the feature.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
And this is just a suggestion, because I know a lot of parents are getting this for their kids at Christmas... Pre-load the device. Buy like $25-50 worth of games/books/tv shows and have it in the "Cloud". It not only makes the Fire more inviting, but it'll keep them busy for at least a month while Amazon works on the feature.
Thats what Im doing to both of mine.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

So does it lock you out of the kindle store? (ask for a password?)

I'm coming from the apple/iPad/iPhone world where the kids can browse the appstore, but cant buy anything without my password.

How are streamed 'prime' movies accessed? Is it through the kindle store? or a different app?

Sorry for all the questions... Just want to know if i should send the 3 kindles fires i have on my desk back, or wrap them up

I'm sure other people want to know the same thing.

PS. My kids ages are 9,11,14
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You can't download anything if you don't have a CC set as default payment from app, music and video store. You have to buy from site only that way. Not even free apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
You have to know how to set your own restrictions with the kids. I've done that with mine. They use the iPad one all the time, they have never done anything I didn't want them too do. They know better. I also showed my son the Fire last night and he really wanted to play some games and stuff, we were looking at the app store, downloaded tic tac toe and played a bit. I think it's a great device for kids. You need to teach your kids what the rules are. I have, that's my responsibility.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
You have to know how to set your own restrictions with the kids. I've done that with mine. They use the iPad one all the time, they have never done anything I didn't want them too do. They know better. I also showed my son the Fire last night and he really wanted to play some games and stuff, we were looking at the app store, downloaded tic tac toe and played a bit. I think it's a great device for kids. You need to teach your kids what the rules are. I have, that's my responsibility.
My kids have free reign on Netflix as well. They have their own account that they share. The rule is rated G, PG only. No PG-13 and of course the mature ratings are off limits. With Netflix you can see the viewing history and take disciplinary action when warranted. I scolded my daughter for watching some Twilight movie after ignoring the rules. She knows she'll suffer dire consequences if there is a next time.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
TheLost

This still isn't answering my question... maybe i'll ask it another way.

My problem with kindles (we have about 4 in the house) is that amazon uses its '1-click' method of buying books. It doesn't ask you to verify who you are when buying anything from a kindle.

Has this changed on the kindle fire? If i click 'buy' will it ask for a password/pin/verification before it charges my credit card? (like itunes)

I agree that its my responsibility to set the expectations with my kids. But i'm also smart enough not to leave a loaded gun around my child and say "don't touch" (in this case... a Kindle Fire hooked up to my amazon prime account).

I'm just trying to figure out... How are things (apps/music) purchased on the fire. How are 'prime' movies streamed on the fire.

Then i can make the decision if its right for my kids.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
This still isn't answering my question... maybe i'll ask it another way.

My problem with kindles (we have about 4 in the house) is that amazon uses its '1-click' method of buying books. It doesn't ask you to verify who you are when buying anything from a kindle.

Has this changed on the kindle fire? If i click 'buy' will it ask for a password/pin/verification before it charges my credit card? (like itunes)

I agree that its my responsibility to set the expectations with my kids. But i'm also smart enough not to leave a loaded gun around my child and say "don't touch" (in this case... a Kindle Fire hooked up to my amazon prime account).

I'm just trying to figure out... How are things (apps/music) purchased on the fire. How are 'prime' movies streamed on the fire.

Then i can make the decision if its right for my kids.
It still operates using 1-Click. You can use a gift card for default payment.

Last edited by SCION; 11-16-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Don't have a payment set and they can't buy anything on the device only through the website. This is how I have my Kindles set up. I only buy through the website. I only put my payment in the normal account area I have no CC designated for any of the Amazon digital stores. This is also gives me a confirmation screen through the website when I purchase something so I don't accidentally buy it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
The problem that we discovered with the Fire (my 12-year-old twins each got one last night from their grandparents for their birthday) is that every ebook my wife and I have purchased shows up on the bookshelf ... including some books that my kids are not going to be allowed to read. There should be a way to remove books from the bookshelf displayed on the device.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
The problem that we discovered with the Fire (my 12-year-old twins each got one last night from their grandparents for their birthday) is that every ebook my wife and I have purchased shows up on the bookshelf ... including some books that my kids are not going to be allowed to read. There should be a way to remove books from the bookshelf displayed on the device.
I have that problem too. Short of creating a separate Amazon.com account for the kids, I don't know of a solution.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I have that problem too. Short of creating a separate Amazon.com account for the kids, I don't know of a solution.
Some of us have had this discussion weeks ago in anticipation of various issues. Many decided to get the child(ren) a separate account.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Some of us have had this discussion weeks ago in anticipation of various issues. Many decided to get the child(ren) a separate account.
Except my kids also want the device for our Prime video viewing and they wouldn't be able to take advantage of that if they use a separate Amazon account.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote