Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #31
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
This line:

Quote:
emotional incontinence among readers through blatant titillation.
is totally awesome :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #32
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Would that be harsher than 5 years hard labor for the theft of a loaf of bread?
That and transportation to the colonies was 19th Century rather than medieval.

But you could claim benefit of clergy and get off the first time.

Medieval prisoners were likely to die of fever before they were tried so punishment was not imprisonment but whipping, branding or mutilation or being invited to "abjure the realm" = exile.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
With each book I upload to the MR library I am tempted to deter potential rip-off artists by putting my favourite curse on the copyright page:

May you spend eternity rollerskating on cobblestones.
I love this. Mostly because if one hits a stone wrong, it can lead to a busted tongue and no food for a couple of days.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How about May your ereader's bezel suffer eternal bifurcation as a curse on ebook piracy?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #35
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Oh yes, that's lovely. Or how about: May your ereader's screen break on your first day of eternity?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
or for Sony reader owners, you could be cursed with an endless rotating arrow screen and no ability to reset
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #37
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Oh yes, that's lovely. Or how about: May your ereader's screen break on your first day of eternity?
And is fixed every morning. So you can read 5 pages. Then it breaks again.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #38
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And is fixed every morning. So you can read 5 pages. Then it breaks again.
Assuming those five pages are always the same five pages, you have concocted a Sisyphean torture. I'd rather try pushing the boulder.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #39
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Assuming those five pages are always the same five pages, you have concocted a Sisyphean torture. I'd rather try pushing the boulder.
Sorry, I forgot to mention, you're reading L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. Every chapter is just like all the other chapters. Every book is like all the other books.

And when you finally get to the last page of the last book, you get to start from the first book again.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #40
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, you're reading L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. Every chapter is just like all the other chapters. Every book is like all the other books.

And when you finally get to the last page of the last book, you get to start from the first book again.
Then I realised that if this was the situation, then the ereader breaking would be a good thing...
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Cruel (but accurate)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #42
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I can see you applying for a job in a torture chamber. Mr. "Head Torture Guy," stylishly outfitted in leather, complete with hood, checks your resume. All the while, you can hear the screams of the doomed, Winston Smith shouting "Put the rat on Julia!" and the squeaking of the vermin and thumbscrews. HTG shakes his head sadly and says, "It says here you've tortured your hapless victims with Mission Earth. Listen, I'd love to hire you, but you're way overqualified. Mission Earth? You sir, are a true sadist!"

Last edited by TimW; 08-06-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: tortured by a redundant word :D
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've read worse books than the "Mission Earth" series. A lot worse. OK, Hubbard (who was a decent SF author) probably did little more than the plot outline, but you could do a lot worse.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #44
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've read worse books than the "Mission Earth" series. A lot worse. OK, Hubbard (who was a decent SF author) probably did little more than the plot outline, but you could do a lot worse.
I can't speak for the whole series but I recall trying the first volume back in my youth. I'm sure I didn't finish it. Granted, a person's recollection of a work is colored with time so I looked for a review of the first volume and found this:

Quote:
In his introduction, Mr. Hubbard assures us that what follows is satire, a form of literature whose origins he carefully explains in what I take to be a satire on ponderous, self-serving pseudoscholarship. What actually follows is a paralyzingly slow-moving adventure enlivened by interludes of kinky sex, sendups of effeminate homosexuals and a disregard of conventional grammar so global as to suggest a satire on the possibility of communication through language.
That sounds about right, IMHO.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/01/12/bo...e-fiction.html
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a good series. I do think, however, that there's a tendency to make Hubbard's SF writing out to be worse than it is due to his crackpot beliefs (or, in an alternate viewpoint, extremely clever business) in Scientology. One of Hubbard's books in particular, "Battlefield Earth" (not to be confused with "Mission Earth"), I think is great Space Opera (although it was made into a quite stunningly awful film).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote