Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #61
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm Okay with the name. Of course, I have a Sony.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #62
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Judging by how slow it seems from videos, I suspect the device isn't really going to win over people for technical superiority...it relies heavily upon superficial design and brand identity to influence the impulse buyer.

I think when being pushed in that style-before-substance fashion, the name "Nook" carries with it a lot of positive elements that brand strategists and marketing firms find useful for establishing market presence and brand identity quickly. It may not be the most impressive name to some, but that is a common enough phenomenon when it comes to successful naming strategies.

Identity and recognition will need to substitute where the technology is lacking.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, I think we're all in agreement here that Nook is a pretty silly name for an e-book reading device. So far, the only likely explanation I've heard is that B&N's guys are Dr. Seuss fans, as this quote from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish suggests:

...and I'm almost buying it. But it still sucks as a reader name.

So come on, MobileReaders: Let's have some good names for a B&N e-book reading device! Serious or silly, I don't really care... it can't possibly be any worse than what they gave us!
The Booklet. Seriously.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #64
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Call it a Cranny?
A nook is NOT a cranny though.... two different words...
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #65
tbaroghel
Fan of John Irving
tbaroghel began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
As a French (and mostly French speaking guy), I don't get the thing about the nook word. It sounds good to my ear, short and similar to book; Still, I would have proposed 'Biblon', the ancient Greek word for book, as something more universal, should B&N have a global reach in mind. An alternative would be latin LIBRIS, or even Egyptian PAPYRUS.

Regards from Paris,

Thierrry

Last edited by tbaroghel; 10-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.
tbaroghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #66
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaroghel View Post
As a French (and mostly French speaking guy), I don't get the thing about the nook word. It sounds good to my ear, short and similar to book; Still, I would have proposed 'Biblon', the ancient Greek word for book, as something more universal, should B&N have a global reach in mind. An alternative would be latin LIBRIS, or even Egyptian PAPYRUS.

Regards from Paris,

Thierrry
Perhaps its an American thing. The word has been bastardized to mean something entirely different. "Getting a little nookie" is simply another way of saying......well, you know.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #67
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I expected the name to be "StarBook", to go along with the your coffee.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #68
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Perhaps its an American thing. The word has been bastardized to mean something entirely different. "Getting a little nookie" is simply another way of saying......well, you know.
actually i didn't know, and only after several days of comments which sounded stranger and stranger to me i took a look on urbandictionary.com, then i understood. at first i was only thinking of the actual meaning of the word, i didn't understand either the huge reaction to it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #69
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
They should have a bundle deal with your cable company. When you get a nook you also get Syfy.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #70
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They should have a bundle deal with your cable company. When you get a nook you also get Syfy.
Naw... everyone knows Sci-fi and nook don't mix...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #71
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Is that because nookie is most discreetly obtained in nooks?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #72
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
"Nookie" has just the same meaning in Australian slang. It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the name.

Perhaps a very rough French equivalent would be calling them "livrettes"? (?)

as in "Moi, j’en aime en livrette."
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #73
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually i didn't know, and only after several days of comments which sounded stranger and stranger to me i took a look on urbandictionary.com, then i understood. at first i was only thinking of the actual meaning of the word, i didn't understand either the huge reaction to it.
Me too!!! I also had to look up the word nookie in the Urban Dictionary .

IMO, this whole thing is just too silly for words (excuse the pun). Nook, is a real word which is used in common everyday language. The other word doesn't look the same - when written down. It doesn't even sound the same or have the same meaning (thank goodness for that)... and it's a SLANG word, to boot. Just because a few letters of a word are the same as another, doesn't make it the same word by any stretch of the imagination. If that were the case, the mind truly boggles!
Most people around the world grow up speaking several or even many - different languages, (myself included - but Americans generally EXCLUDED) so we have known how to use a dictionary from childhood. If we had to run around making those kind of mistakes, well... we would truly be lost then wouldn't we? We may as well revert back to drawing on cave walls.

Last edited by dragonbone; 10-29-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: oops
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #74
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I have to say that it's grown on me quite a bit. I hated the name when it first came out, but it's sorta catchy now. And the women in my office love the name. So on a marketing level....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #75
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
...I guess the reason I don't like "Nook" is because it describes a space, not a thing....
And this comes from a guy who reads on his 'HP iPaq 110." Hmmm, speaking of odd names.....

Teasing Steve, you know we all luv ya!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes and noble, e-book reader