Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
[Write] Recommended simpe note taking app with strong offline import/export support?

I hope it's not totally off to ask on a reader forum about wringing and taking notes.

My favorite simple, but powerful note taking app on Android has been Draft: http://lifehacker.com/draft-is-a-cle...port-844836670

But the author might have some issues (who am I to know?), she just keeps adding to and remove it from the Play Store. (For example, I downloaded from the store a few months back, now you can only find it on the shady sides of the Internet but hey, it's a free .apk. Version 0.13 anyways)

What I liked about it is I could add a simple text file from local storage. Though not on the latest version I have (0.13) but on some earlier versions, I was also able to save a text file to local storage.

One of the main drawbacks of Android in general is the lack of strong offline backup support, as compared to the Apple ecosystem.

Still, I hope at least some individual apps can do that. What are your recommendations, possibly past version 0.13?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
What do you mean by android not supporting offline storage? Isn't it miles better than on apple devices? On IOS you can't access the file system, you can only send files from app to app, wheras on android you can access all your files through file managers and open them in whatever app you want.

I don't know a single writing app on android, where you can't save on the device and most allow you to browse all your files.

There are plenty off markdown writer apps on android. I don't use it, but for example https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erpad.x&hl=com should do what you want.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
MyScript apps seems nice, but it's freemium. I yet have to try it...

If this project had tons of developers and financing...

https://github.com/isolver/OpenHandWrite/
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
What do you mean by android not supporting offline storage?
I didn't say exactly that.

I'm looking for an Android note taking app where I can import and export a simple text file to and from the app offline, without cloud.

(The Apple Notes app does this via the Apple Mail app or Microsoft Outlook, if I am not mistaken.)
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I still don't get it. Per mail is online too. To reiterate: you can with all writing apps i know off acess your local data. Sending a document per mail should be as easy as clicking on the share button in the app and selecting the email app. If you send your files from your computer to the device per mail, you can either open the files tbrough the email app or save them in any folder you want.

To synchronizing data on your device with your computer is something different, if you mean that. And apart from sending files per wlan or connecting you device per usb (both easily possible) you do that online.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #6
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
One of the main drawbacks of Android in general is the lack of strong offline backup support, as compared to the Apple ecosystem.
Hmm, that's not accurate at all I'm with dickloraine on this one. Offline storage and retrieval of documents on Android is not only possible, but a standard feature.

I use Evernote for note taking and can set one or more to be offline if necessary. There is a free version of the app which works well too. As I'm using a Samsung mobile, I also have S Note, which is great for handwritten notes and the inbuilt handwriting conversion to text is amazing.

A quick look on the Android Play store reveals dozens of basic 'notepad' style apps, many of which work offline and will also sync with cloud storage. I'm not sure why you are struggling.

The bottom line is...all of the note taking apps I have ever used on Android will store them in plain text on the file system of the phone/tablet. Even if you need to take text from an email, you can simply copy and paste into a note taking app. This is all standard stuff on Android and you do have access to the file system, hence the confusion over your request.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote