Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast
cathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
London, Jack: White Fang. v1, 14 Jan 2008

There was already a nice version of White Fang available, but it wasn't designed for some of the features in the Kindle. This one differs:

1. Metadata, so the author and title will show up properly on the Kindle
2. Uses Kindle Navigation for Beginning, TOC, and Cover.
3. A bigger cover image.
4. No justification set, so your device can select full or left justification
5. Minor formatting differences (everyone has their preferences :-)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc White_Fang.prc (355.6 KB, 925 views)

Last edited by RWood; 11-27-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added prefix
cathyWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Nice

I love when you can find a historical book cover, AND it's got enough contrast and it 's the right size to be readable in the library view.

You also gave credit to where you got the text. I think people should do that, after all, the majority of the work was done by them.

I don't see any pre-formatted text colors, and that's nice.

You do have the font family pre-chosen so that it can't be changed in the desktop reader, but my cybook is allowing me to select my own font (maybe because your chosen font isn't on it?). I'm not sure what that means for people using mobipocket software on other devices, if they can change their font or not. Personally, I purposely leave all that unformatted so that the person reading can make adjustments to suit themselves.

I might have to read this one

Last edited by cmbs; 01-14-2008 at 02:07 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Nice

You also gave credit to where you got the text. I think people should do that, after all, the majority of the work was done by them.

I don't see any pre-formatted text colors, and that's nice.

You do have the font family pre-chosen so that it can't be changed in the desktop reader, but my cybook is allowing me to select my own font (maybe because your chosen font isn't on it?). I'm not sure what that means for people using mobipocket software on other devices, if they can change their font or not. Personally, I purposely leave all that unformatted so that the person reading can make adjustments to suit themselves.

I might have to read this one
Thanks. :-)

RE: leaving in the attributions - I'm a former English teacher, so I'm VERY big on citing sources. :-). Besides, from a legal standpoint, it's part of the Project Gutenberg License.

I'll look into removing the font family info from the CSS - What you said makes a lot of sense. I probably won't change it for this one, but going forward, I just might. Thanks for the idea.

As for reading it - it's a great book. I also really like Call of the Wild by the same author, though it's been 20 or so years since I've read either one.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
My reading of the PG licence is that one is obliged either to leave the whole licence in, or else to remove all references to PG. (I do the latter because the licence is very long.)

However, I'm quite prepared to be corrected if I have not understood it properly.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
My reading of the PG licence is that one is obliged either to leave the whole licence in, or else to remove all references to PG. (I do the latter because the licence is very long.)

However, I'm quite prepared to be corrected if I have not understood it properly.
The applicable bit is

Quote:
1.E. Unless you have removed all references to Project Gutenberg:

1.E.1. The following sentence, with active links to, or other immediate
access to, the full Project Gutenberg-tm License
must appear prominently
whenever any copy of a Project Gutenberg-tm work (any work on which the
phrase "Project Gutenberg" appears, or with which the phrase "Project
Gutenberg" is associated) is accessed, displayed, performed, viewed,
copied or distributed:

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org
Emphasis mine above.

I interpret this to mean you must either strip it out entirely or leave it all in. You must certainly leave it in for an ebook, as it may not be possible to link to a copy elsewhere.

It is rather long. At least PG now tacks it onto the [end of their files, rather than requiring readers to scroll through it to get to the book the want to read. There's a Palm OS ebook viewer called WeaselReader that began as a viewer for PG etexts, and included a feature to skip over the boilerplate and jump to the start of the book.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I interpret this to mean you must either strip it out entirely or leave it all in. You must certainly leave it in for an ebook, as it may not be possible to link to a copy elsewhere.
Dennis
You and Patricia, are of course, right. And when I did my first conversion, I initially removed it. However, I just didn't feel right doing that (even though they say it's OK). Only one small part is mine - the formatting, and that effort pales in comparison to the original work by the original folks. So, I leave it in, and don't change it in accordance with their rules, even though PG gives permission to remove their info entirely.

Cathy