Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Bookari & Overdrive library ebooks

Bookari premium is supposed to be able to borrow & read library books; not true with the "latest" version as per 9/20/2017.

I have re-installed Bookari/Mantano as to be able to use different fonts & color schemes & control other than what the Overdrive app allows. When downloading the Overdrive book from the local public library, Bookari will not accept the ebooks as "the file format is not recognized"! The Aldiko app is able to download the books; but it also has other problems as in the book cover & title may not be shown for some books which, I think, has a hi-rez cover; a problem that existed for years.

Yes, the Bookari app was "activated" so DRM'ed books & supposedly can be read.

I had uninstalled Bookari previously because it was unable to recognize a plain TEXT file format as the reason I felt Bookari is useless.

Another reason why DRM is truly a virus & malware.

Don't know if the Bookari problem is just me or a "default".
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I am finding that bookari claims to have added the book (downloaded via overdrive, then manually located ). It displays he title and the metadata, but I get an adept no licence error when imtry to actually read, even after giving bookari the same credentials that I gave to Overdrive, and setting them as the default.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would file a support issue with Bookari.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never tried it with library books, but I never had any problems fulfilling standard Adept DRMed purchases with Bookari/Mantano (so long as it was registered to the same adobe id). I'll have to give it a whirl when I get some time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i suspect that with loans some essential field gets lost along the way ( because I get an "expired book" error, not a "not licenced" error
no big deal though, I have sort of accepted that the way to read library loans on tablets is to learn to like the libby or overdrive reader apps and not try to force the book to appear in an app of my choice. Those apps are not too bad, except for the lack of font choices.
and with other apps like Bookari, Aldiko, even if they can do old style adobe ID, they don't seem up to speed with how the overdrive app now authorises ( can't blame them for that, I am still not up to speed either ). My preferred Moon + reader has no DRM capability at all

Last edited by stumped; 11-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would file a support issue with Bookari.
I considered that, but after 15 minutes of trying and failing to find how to ( though I have done it before) I did not bother.
From memory they are not that fast or that good at grasping issues anyway. it will be the usual uninstall - reinstall suggestions merry go round...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I noticed is that Bookari Premium has several "Store/DRM Provider" types to select when creating an account (I assume multiple accounts are allowed). Clearly they're mostly Adobe DRM, but I'm assuming those having difficulties have specifically created an account for the Overdrive "store"? Perhaps it provides different fiddly-bits than the regular Adobe ID "store."
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

i think I saw 2 DRM options in bookari: there was adobe ID, [ email and password] which thinks, then says "device activated" and overdrive, which goes away , comes back ,says "error", is not very informative.
but it seems there has been various iterations/ flavours of overdrive, so Bookari maybe expects some different overdrive variant to what I have [ what I have is one that uses a real email address + a password, as the login - & I don't recall exactly how I created it & whether it was done on a PC or on an android device ]
I've stopped experimenting / testing for a short while , I don't want to risk a " too many books borrowed & returned " ban to land for over-testing
Old 11-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I am finding that bookari claims to have added the book (downloaded via overdrive, then manually located ). It displays he title and the metadata, but I get an adept no licence error when imtry to actually read, even after giving bookari the same credentials that I gave to Overdrive, and setting them as the default.
I just tried this and I also got a license error.

Last edited by 4691mls; 11-21-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fix typo
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Found this 2013 thread. Don't know if the steps in post #5 still work. I haven't tried it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203870
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Overdrive has changed a lot since 2013 but that thread helps show what a poorly documented muddle the whole auth game is.
To stop the downloads automatically going to overdrive I had to remove a property that has the app flagged as as default for web sites. Then I got the dialogue about what app to use when I tap on download eub during checkout. Bookari can show the book only if it is selected to handle, the download, it seems. . Going to a file already on the device never seems to work, no matter what auth you give the relevant app.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've been trying pretty hard to use the latest Bookari to download/fulfill a library loan and have had no luck whatsoever. I've tried using an AdobeID "store" account as well as an Overdrive account. I've also tried downloading with a browser as well as configuring an Overdrive "store" within Bookari to download from.

There IS some sort of ADE interaction going on, though. Because when I try to fulfill (using my AdobeID Bookari activation) a library loan I've already downloaded via the Overdrive/Libby app, I get a warning that the book has already been activated for another user.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

i got Bookari to work via one very specific route, which I will now try to describe.
You must not complete checkout in any other app. so do not complete checkout on a PC and clear any default android open with that could jump in when you select download epup from the library loand checkout page.[ clear the open with that your browser is aware of, ans you will be interacting with a web page.

then go to your library in your tablet browser , login with your library card, and borrow book. At Checkout, when you now tap download epub, android should ask with what? and Bookari should be an option. [ Bookari needs to be pre-prepped with your adobe ID ]
I think i gave mine both that and the overdrive one.].
I suspect there are 2 working variations 1. login to library with library card, have ADE in booakari, or 2) login to library with overdrive account, have overdrive credentials in Bookari.
the magic drm removal seems to happen as the book is downloading from the library to the tablet, and so that app that is managing that provess gets a read authorisation.

I really wish there was proper documentation , with flow charts, and an explanation of how the security tokens work.

I have moved on to libby and only libby : checkout in libby , read in libby , try not to complain too much about lack of features....but the above is what worked for me for Bookari, ( google play store version) . logically it should work with Aldiko also but I got cross with Aldiko when it insisted that England, UK does not have any public libraries, and deleted it !
Moon+ is a non starter - it wisely? stays out of the DRM fracas. so that's all my epub readers spoken for
Id be interested to hear of any other candidates though.

Last edited by stumped; 12-03-2017 at 09:49 AM.